Home Forums General Discussion IV Clindamyacin / Muscle Cramps

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mumof3
    Participant

Do I remember reading recently that IV clindamyacin can cause muscle cramping? It may have been Randy but I can't remember. I remember someone taking magnesium during I.V.s and think it was for muscle cramps. I'm sorry I don't have a lot of time right now to search the Board. Thank you for your help.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Mum – magnesium deficiency very common in Lyme. What worked very well for my very severe muscle cramps was/is oral magnesium (in 2:1 ratio with calcium) and a magnesium cream applied late evening. Also helps with sleep. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Mumof3
    Participant

Lynnie, thanks for the response.

I usually supplement with high doses of magnesium glycinate, however I have been out of it for a couple of weeks now. My muscle twitching is absolutely horrible since I've run out. I don't know if you've ever seen a horse twitching when it has flies on its rear end. That's pretty much how the twitching feels right now.

My muscle cramps are really bad too which doesn't help during the I.V.'s. If I remember right someone took extra magnesium during I.V.s. I may have to get some from the health food store until my order arrives. I've never heard of magnesium cream. Is it pretty easy to find? And is there a particular brand that is better? Last night was a rough night so I look forward to help with sleep.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Mum – it should be pretty easy to find in a health products outlet – it was very easy here. Even try online. Good thing about that is that it will go straight into bloodstream. You could also try epsom salts baths (magnesium sulphate). Your twitching and cramps sound like classic mag deficiency. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Randy
    Participant

Yes it was me.  I get calf cramps as a result of the Clindy IV's.  I take extra magnesium/calcium on those days.  For me, I need 1200mg of calcium/magnesium.  Yes, there are lots of different opinions about what the correct relationship should be, so you can experiment.

I hope the cramps stop.

Randy

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

Mumof3
    Participant

Thank you Randy. I'm beginning to notice the cramping and it seems to always be around the I.V.'s. Especially now that I've run out of magnesium. I will try doubling up on it as well on I.V. days to see if it makes a difference.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ IV Clindamyacin / Muscle Cramps’ is closed to new replies.