Home Forums General Discussion itching skin and dry hair

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    sweetpea
    Participant

Hello everyone.  I am currently taking minocyclene 50 mg. started in may 2008.  My original herxing was itching in the joints of my hands almost immediately after I started the antibiotic.  This has continued, and now I am experiencing itching all over-it is too early in the season for it to be dry furnace related etc.  I have also noticed that my hair is getting very dry and my skin just has an old appearance to it.  I look like I have aged 5 years in just a few months.  Disheartening when you look as bad as you feel…is this just a side affect of the minocyclene do you think?

Jo
    Participant
    richie
    Participant

Hi
    Scleroderma folks sometimes have very itchy skin all –over –Every winter for about the first four years I itched like unreal –Made some changes which helped but didnt make it go away —I use Basis Sensitive  soap only –its a bit costlier but buying it at Wal-Mart is reasonable –also for bad itch I used an OTC lotion called Sarna –it helped but nothing really made it completely stop —Dr T up at Harvard feels its the skin healing itself from inside –a good a theory as any !!!
    Richie

Baskettwin
    Participant

I am no help but want to welcome you to the BB Sweetpea. I am new here too. I am about 2 weeks into Minocin…..100 mg 2xday M-W-F.

Cheering for you on your road to wellness.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=695]sweetpea[/user] wrote:

My original herxing was itching in the joints of my hands almost immediately after I started the antibiotic.  This has continued, and now I am experiencing itching all over-it is too early in the season for it to be dry furnace related etc.  I have also noticed that my hair is getting very dry and my skin just has an old appearance to it.  I look like I have aged 5 years in just a few months.  Disheartening when you look as bad as you feel…is this just a side affect of the minocyclene do you think?

Hi Sweetpea,

This whole aging thing pretty much goes with the territory with rheumatic disease. Although sclero patients often say that their wrinkles disappear, RA patients look and feel so much older in general. My avatar pic was taken just a few months before I came down with severe RA, but within a very short time I looked like I had gained a good decade…pale, wan and tired-looking. Just being sick and in constant pain ages us, but with collagen diseases, the skin takes a hit.

I also get quite dry skin during the drier, colder winter months now. There was also a period of about 8 or so months, last year, when I had some strange dry, itchy skin rashes that appeared. They were no bigger than a quarter in size and were very itchy. I thought it might be fungus-related, like ringworm, but prescription strength anti-fungals and cortisone didn't do anything for it. I just moisturized more and eventually it all went away, so possibly just some detoxing through the skin.

One thing you might want to have checked if you haven't already (and just to rule out) is thyroid issues. There is alot of overlap with some of these diseases and thyroid imbalances are very common with rheumatic disease. This can affect skin and hair, too, along with so many other things. My thyroid problems came on at pretty much the same time as my RA.

Just a thought to add to the other posts…

Welcome to the bulletin board, Sweetpea! 😀

Peace, Maz

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Sweetpea – welcome! You might also try the gals at http://www.rheumaticsupport.net – they are pretty good at suggestions for skin issues/itching remedies. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

m.
    Participant

There was also a period of about 8 or so months, last year, when I had some strange dry, itchy skin rashes that appeared. They were no bigger than a quarter in size and were very itchy. I thought it might be fungus-related, like ringworm, but prescription strength anti-fungals and cortisone didn't do anything for it. I just moisturized more and eventually it all went away, so possibly just some detoxing through the skin.

Huh. So weird you mention that Maz. I noticed a few weeks ago, a small dry patch on the back of my leg. Reddish, no bigger than a quarter, and I thought ringworm too.

It doesn't itch though. And I no longer think it's ringworm.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Michelle,

Sounds kind of similar, eh? You could try some OTC Lamisil cream and see if it's fungal and responds to that. If not, may just be a die-off reaction. The hydrogen peroxide baths may help bring it out and ultimately resolve it, if so.

Peace, Maz

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Sweetpea;
         According to my doctor a good percentage of us have leaky gut and yeast which causes mal absorbtion of much needed EFA s.MSM and Biotin do wonders for the skin and hair and MSM is a heavy metal chelator as well as an antifungal so it heals the gut in time.While waiting to get that problem solved you can use Jojoba oil as it is the only emolient that has a small enough molecular structure able to penetrate several layers of skin.Almost all cream and oils only coat the skin and preven it dehydrating.Shea butter is also very good.

muimui
    Participant

I understand since I have been on ap I have hair loss and now my hair is totally dry it's unbelievable, not to mention my nails have become dry and brittle, but the member here have helped me greatly so I detox with aloe vera everyday,my mother swears it's the best and I do the baths and lemon/olive oil drink and pray like crazy.Hang in there.

cfs/fibro mino3mg daily,probiotics,folic acid,enalaril 20mg 2bid(high blood pressure)

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hello everyone.   I have also noticed that my hair is getting very dry and my skin just has an old appearance to it.  I look like I have aged 5 years in just a few months.  Disheartening when you look as bad as you feel…is this just a side affect of the minocyclene do you think?

Hi and welcome Sweetpea,

The side effects of my conventional drugs were hair thinning and aging skin. It was like you say very disheartening when you look as bad as you feel.

Since going on Abx 6 weeks ago I did get some mild itching, but has gone now, and 4 weeks ago I started on MSM and other supps + drinking gallons of water with organic lemons added. I have definately notice a change to my hair and skin even to the extent of my sister asking what was I doing, because I looked like a different person.  It may be a combination of things though, I do feel more positive since finding this board with so many wonderful people advising and helping me.

Hang in there Sweetpea, it will get better, and please keep us updated………..Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

sweetpea
    Participant

thanks to all of you who have replied to my question!  good to know it is not my imagination, but I am sorry that others have the same symptoms. 

I teach water exercise classes which have been GREAT for my joint pain, but I think that also contributes to the dry skin..just strange that it hit all of a sudden when I've been teaching for years.  I am using organic coconut oil on my skin now and it works pretty well, it absorbs in easily, has no smell at all, no additives and relatively inexpensive…the itching is not realy on the surface though…it actually feels like it is the tissue underneath…probably right about it being a die off…

Honestly I am just trying to avoid the mirror…I don't really recognize who is looking back at me.

Rockin Annie
    Participant

I am using organic coconut oil on my skin now and it works pretty well, it absorbs in easily, has no smell at all, no additives and relatively inexpensive…the itching is not realy on the surface though…it actually feels like it is the tissue underneath…probably right about it being a die off…

Honestly I am just trying to avoid the mirror…I don't really recognize who is looking back at me.

Sweetpea, coconut oil is great for everything, I use it among other things, I do laps as well and plaster it on before I hop in the water I bet the pool attendants love me (hehe) :roll-laugh:. No, the itching isin't on the surface, my thoughts exactly, hopefully a die off.

I just recently went through a time where everything seemed so negative, I think it comes with having daily pain. 

I do hope you feel emotionally better soon, and remember we are here for you………………….Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

camm
    Participant

Sweetpea – I get the avoiding the mirror thing. I used to look young for my age, but the other day I saw deep wrinkles and a general look of fatigue that looked every bit and then some of my 45 years!  it seemed to happen overnight.  I blame the gray hair on my 3 year old (I adopted her from Russia when she was one) but the only wrinkles I can blame on her are my smile ones (well, most of the time, anyway).

Annie- I swear you and a I are soul sisters. I'm just getting ready to post a “woe is me/when does herxing end?” post becaue I am in that overwhelmed and weary phase…….

Welcome Sweetpea. I'm a pretty newbie here too and while I find myself overwhelmed by the amount of information available (and sometimes reading the discussion board I feel incredibly uneducated!) but it's a wonderful resource.

Blessings-

Camm

Hello everyone.  I am currently taking minocyclene 50 mg. started in may 2008.  My original herxing was itching in the joints of my hands almost immediately after I started the antibiotic.  This has continued, and now I am experiencing itching all over-it is too early in the season for it to be dry furnace related etc.  I have also noticed that my hair is getting very dry and my skin just has an old appearance to it.  I look like I have aged 5 years in just a few months.  Disheartening when you look as bad as you feel…is this just a side affect of the minocyclene do you think?

A systemic antifungal stops our itching unless it is sulphur or allergy related.

We use a systemic antifungal alongside the treatment here in Perth to eliminate build up of fungal activity.  This causes itching after abx treatment.  We all have a build up of fungus because they have not been used in the past.  It can be quite dangerous, actally another infection so to speak.

Antibacterial soap or one that is not acidic often helps also they usually also have moisturizers in them now.  Dove is a good alkaline soap.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ itching skin and dry hair’ is closed to new replies.