Home Forums General Discussion Is your pain aggravated by exercise?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Fkendall
    Participant

I do weight training twice a week, yoga and tango, and try to put in a session on my exercise bike most days. The exercise bike doesn't cause any ill effects, but my hip and leg pain is definitely aggravated by walking, dancing, lower body weights and yoga — I don't want to stop these things but it is quite a price to pay!

Do others experience this?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Yes Frances I do. I started a yoga class last year but had to give it up because it sent me a flares the following day. I find gentle stretching, gentle free weights and walking are best for me. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

APbeliever
    Participant

I have the same problems with working out. RA pain really increases when I start walking around for even 30 minutes a day. However, to keep my diabetes under control, I don't have any choice but to exercise. Even though RA might hurt you more when you exercise, you have to remember your other body parts need that exercise or something else will happen which you don't want to happen.

kasdance
    Participant

I love that you asked this~ I'm a professional dancer/dance teacher and i'm pretty much in a constant flare because of this. I have definately scaled back the level and intensity of dancing and no longer can take class,but i cannot give it up. I know it sounds dramatic, but I'll keep pushing until i can't anymore lol- we are trained this way! If if were to listen to my docs and give up being active, they'd strip away a big part of my identity and i'm not ready to give that up to RA yet!
    ~Kristin

bonnielou
    Keymaster

It depends — I am in a 6 month yoga teacher training program now and this is the hardest I have exercised in 3 1/2 years. There are some days where I can't participate fully and do more observation that active practice. There are some days where I can sweat up a storm and feel great. All of the sessions clearly leave me more fatigued than other participants. (Of course I am 25 years older than most of the other participants too — and that must be a factor).

We didn't do that much physical work in Sunday's class, but my arms and upper body were very sore yesterday and today. I do need to be careful. But I am confident these workouts help me. If something is really sore — I stop. I do think you can cross a line and hurt yourself — but you are the only one who can figure out where that line is.

My teacher knows of my health issues, and she has been wonderful. I am doing the elective part of the program on yoga and arthritis. I highly recommend the book Yogan and Arthritis by Loren Fishman — fabulous exercises and modifications in there. I am learning so much.

Be careful. You might need to pull back a bit — or do more biking and less of the other activities. Take care.

Bonnie

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

Fkendall
    Participant

Thanks all for this feedback. I tried googling RA exercise and pain and really got nothing at all useful. But your comments are exactly what I need. So I will continue to do the things I love and not push it too far, common sense really, but so helpful to know others are in the same boat

Here's hoping that with the AP the pain will lessen.:)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ Is your pain aggravated by exercise?’ is closed to new replies.