Home Forums General Discussion Is it possible to detox without more inflammation?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lrobertson
    Participant

My naturopath suggested I do a week food detox. The detox consits of juicing vegtables and eating soups/broths with lots of fresh water. I don't eat that poorly, but figured I'd try to get through 5 days. Day 1 for breakfast I juiced carrots, ginger, parsley and some spinach. Only about a cup. For lucnch and dinner a veggie soup with onions, garlic, parsnips, kale, celery, and califlower. Was swelling up that evening a bit. Next morning (day 2) -hands horrible swelling, hurt so bad, couldn't lift covers off my body in bed. Only thing that helped were epson salt soaks for hands. Day 3 woke up, just as painful. Took 2 prednisone, and started eating more like normal. Today another prenisone, and eating normal. Still residual swelling but not nearly as bad. I can keyboard today 🙂

Soo…my ND tells me this is normal for body to get rid of toxins. I'm afraid the toxins in my hands will do more damage. What can I do to limit this painful reaction? Is detoxing going to help in the long run? How long till I'd feel better? Gosh, it is frustrating when eating right and doing everything right brings on these results. I was so frustrated I asked my husband to bring me home some cigaretts, hard liquor, and illicit drugs if he could find any. I figure-I do everything right and I just get worse, maybe if I do everything wrong, I'll get better….(just kidding-wouldn't do illicit drugs..LOL)

Todd WI
    Participant

Your post reminded me of the “withdrawl” symptoms talked about in the following  article on an elimination diet:

http://www.frot.co.nz/dietnet/resources/ediet_howto.htm

“…Friday morning?s breakfast and all subsequent meals for the next six days should consist exclusively of the ?safe? foods (cod, trout, mackerel, pears, parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, sweet potatoes, yams, celery, zucchini, carrots and peaches). You may eat them in any combination and in any amount as often as you want throughout the first six days. Take note of what you are eating and how often you are eating it. You probably won?t be able to remember so keep a diary. You will need that information later.

By Friday evening (day 1) you may start feeling your first ?withdrawal? symptoms. You won?t be getting the temporary lift provided by your addictive food(s). Withdrawal symptoms can take many forms. The most obvious is an increase in joint swelling and pain. Headache, muscle aches, fatigue and other flu-like symptoms are very common. Strong hunger pangs and cravings are usually present. It?s not unusual to still feel hungry shortly after a meal.

Withdrawal symptoms often worsen on Saturday and Sunday (days 2 and 3). The intensity of these symptoms should not be underestimated. In fact many will feel completely crippled during these days. Withdrawal symptoms can be somewhat ameliorated by taking one tablet of alka-seltzer (in the gold box) in a large glass of water. This can be repeated every 4 hours if needed. You should try to drink plenty of water. It will help speed elimination and the ?clearing? of symptoms.

By Monday (day 4) some will feel significantly better as their withdrawal symptoms begin to clear. This ?clearing? will continue on Tuesday and Wednesday (days 5 and 6). While younger people tend to clear their symptoms earlier, 85% of all arthritics will clear a large part of their arthritis symptoms by day 6. After clearing most report that they feel better than they have in years.

By clearing, we mean that any withdrawal symptoms have abated, and along with them many of the chronic symptoms that were the reason for doing the e-diet in the first place. Clearing is a multi-faceted phenomenon. You cease to feel the intense cravings that are driven by food allergies. You feel calmer and more relaxed. Food allergens create inflammation. Inflammation creates edema (swelling) and water retention. I don't know if you've been watching your ankles but they should be a lot less puffy as you dispense with this water weight….”

richie
    Participant

Hi
    how much salt was in the soups and broth —-the amount of salt in prepared broth is staggering and can certainly promote swelling
    Richie

JBJBJB
    Participant

Aloe vera juice —- anti-inflammatory, anti-bacteria and anti-fungal.:dude:

lrobertson
    Participant

No salt, no prepared broth. Only used purified water and organice veggies-and goodness was it bland and yucky!

Bill
    Participant

Vegetable juicing and eating quality vegan food has helped me tremendously. I add green powders and another supplement to increase alkalization of blood. This regimen has helped me greatly. I have not missed a day since I got RA. Over 1 year now. Use organic veggies if you can and get a decent juicer. Centrifuge juicers do not promote healing  nearly as well as masticating ones like champion.

It will take time, probably many months. It is worth it and I have never failed to feel more strength after a glass of fresh pressed juice. Also drink each glass   within minutes of making it.  Do not store it for later.  You will never regret juicing but it takes time to detox and heal.  Patience. Listen to the Doc. He knows what he is talking about. I use plenty of celery,beets,beet tops, kale and some carrots. No Fruit.

Yeah I remember those nights months back when I had to pull up my comforter with my teeth because my wrist just could not do it. Like they say if you can't afford a juicer, sell your stove and buy one……

You want my stove ?? We can talk. But you will have to pry my mino and my juicer from my cold, dead fingers……..

Ok Ok their actually getting warmer all the time and quite alive, but you get the point.

Be Well

Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ Is it possible to detox without more inflammation?’ is closed to new replies.