Home Forums General Discussion Is it just me or what???

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Davit
    Participant

When I was in the hospital and was pretty sure that if I made it I was going to be ruined for any thing I used to do, or probably not going to make it, I decided not to go with all that money in the bank. I bought the most expensive lap top Mac made at that time. I don't recommend doing that. This thing does things and has ports I will never use. Go for one about half way and live with the plastic case. The aluminum is thinner and doesn't scratch as bad but you can get the same capacity and speed in the cheaper model. You know that the biggest expense is what you put in it. And you don't have to lose all your PC goodies. You can dedicate part of a Mac to run PC stuff. This is a good thing for all that PC stuff I can't down load right now. But I have been told Macs are hard to use. I dunno, it seems easy to me. Any way this is off the subject. I truly hope that every one can have all they want in life starting with good health and ending the same way.

Davit.

A Friend
    Participant

[user=664]davew[/user] wrote:

It's you Kim… :roll-laugh: Just kidding!

Have you cleared your cache lately? Go to the menu bar at the top of the IE page and click on TOOLS, then at the drop down, click on INTERNET OPTIONS. The screen that appears should give you the option to delete cookies, pages etc. Depending on what version of IE, the instructions are simplified. Deleting cookies and pages visited should clear this up. After the delete is completed, restart IE and see if it works better.

Davew,

About your instructions to Kim for clearing the cache, since Windows innocently told me by msg that I had a “critical update” (and didn't mention that it was IE8, which some of my programs were not compatible with) and I allowed the automatic update to be installed (it was actually IE8 which I had purposely been avoiding, because a high tech had suggested I not use it with my XP, all sorts of things went wrong with other of my programs, i.e. HP All in One model printer I had, Family Tree Maker, and more.

With the update, also I noticed some of the screens had changed when I went to clear the cache.  Even though I checked to not clear the cookies in my favorite sites, it apparently cleared them anyway.  And, any time I do this, I can not even get back on RBF BB without signing in again and having to find my user name and password. 

I'm hoping, Davew, that you can shed some light on these things, along with Kim's problems. 

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions…

AF

davew
    Participant

Hello AF…

IE8 is buggier than heck from what I have read, but you already know that now. My suggestion is to uninstall it and download IE7 and reload that. It will still take a few trips to your favorite sites to reset cookies, but that should clear things up. Download and install an alternate browser first though, so you can easily access the net to download IE7. PM me if you need any assistance with all of that or if you have Skype, call me and I can assist. I will PM you my Skype contact name should you want to go that route.

MS kinda pulled a fast one with the “critical update” deal in my opinion. My guess is that it was done semi-intentionally so that folks would upgrade to Windows 7 as a fix.

Most just reinstall IE7 and use it sparingly relying on Firefox/Opera or even Google Chrome as an everday browser. Installing an older version is almost a necessity since the “8” version seems to mess with other browsers as well. I personally use Google Chrome as it is very fast, but that is just a personal preference.

I think Kim is squared away now.

Best wishes

Dave

Davit
    Participant

If it is any concilation Apple has sent me some upgrades to make my computer more idiot proof that I don't like. I'm glad you like Google Crome. It didn,t make my Mac any faster than my dash board and had one additional step to use it, so I took it out. It is fast though.

Davit.

Kim
    Participant

Yes, Kim is squared away.

Thanks, Dave. 😀

davew
    Participant

[user=40]Kim[/user] wrote:

Thanks, Dave. 😀

Ha ha… I should have said “Kim's computer is squared away”… Kim herself is ALWAYS squared away..:D

Kim
    Participant

[user=664]davew[/user] wrote:

[user=40]Kim[/user] wrote:

Thanks, Dave. 😀

Ha ha… I should have said “Kim's computer is squared away”… Kim herself is ALWAYS squared away..:D

Ha, Kim wishes! :roll-laugh: :roll-laugh: :roll-laugh:

mj47
    Participant

davit & david,

i agree…macs rule!  they are such superior machines.  we have one which is mainly my husband's computer (he's the IT person around here).  i work on a dell pc.  it's like night & day.  if anyone is ever in the market, macs are so much more intuitive & take care of a lot of the technical things that seem so scary on a pc.  i'm constantly having to ask my husband “the computer is saying this…what do i do??!”  i hardly ever have issues like that on our mac.
    as far as the cache & cookies are concerned, our mac automatically clears them periodically while i have to do it manually on my pc.
    just my 2 cents.
    kim & others…glad you got your issues figured out.

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

This happens to me too! it is sooooo frustrating. But I have not cheched my “cashe”, I don't know what my “cashe” is, let alone where my cashe is so I could check it, and then I would have no clue what to check for, any suggestions appriciated!

Cheryl

Hey Cheryl,  Just send me all your cashe (ie: cash) I'll take care of it for you.:roll-laugh:

Susan

davew
    Participant

[user=86]Susan Lyme/RA[/user] wrote:

This happens to me too! it is sooooo frustrating. But I have not cheched my “cashe”, I don't know what my “cashe” is, let alone where my cashe is so I could check it, and then I would have no clue what to check for, any suggestions appriciated!

Cheryl

Hey Cheryl,

Sir Rifes alot
    Participant

I love just reading some of posts in here.Kinda keeps me in touch with the world as i dont get out much.I have the luxury of one of my partners is a computer geek and he keeps my computer running like a clock .AND I REALLY NEED MY COMPUTER DAILY TO RUN MY BUSINESS and personal use.And i know what you mean davit about the cat one of mine likes to lay on the keyboard under the desk light to get warm ! she actually goes to sleep right there i kid you not !

chris

A Friend
    Participant

DaveW,

Thanks so much for the info you posted, and for your offer to help.  You are worth your weight in gold!  Things are in the fast lane around here, and I need a calm day before I trust myself to tackle reloading, etc.  I worked for years on a large system, and knew it well (but then I only had to call Customer Engineering when things went wrong! lol); but I've never learned the “nuts and bolts” about what to do with PC problems. 

I really appreciate your offer to help.

AF

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘ Is it just me or what???’ is closed to new replies.