Home Forums General Discussion Is "Fibromyalgia" part of many of our diagnoses?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    A Friend
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

While playing sleuth, trying to find information for my own problems (still evolving over a number of years), the following site/title was found. You may understand better (after you read it) if I tell you my search words were:
    acidic wastes+hip pain+enzymes+amino acids — I’ve recently begun to discover that Amino Acids may have a big part in my mystery, and in the last day or two learned that they are necessary for the metabolic system to make enzymes that clear acidic wastes… a problem in myself I just began to learn I had in 2006. Now! more ideas and/or answers may be in the article below. I learned back in 2006 that as a blood type A person, I naturally lacked hydrochloric acid. This item is also discussed in the site listed below.

I believe the information most probably is applicable to many of us with various diagnoses. Many of us have conditions that have caused leaky gut, etc. Let me add, that fibromyalgia type pain/problems were not part of my diagnosis for 7 or more years. After the first 4 to 6 months on AP, I bounced back pretty much like a well person. However, as time went on, I believe changes in my own ability to digest needed protein/amino acids may have led to something that, in me, feels very much like what many group members tell me they have been having — termed Fibromyalgia. I’m now thinking this malady may possibly play a part in many diagnoses. Your thoughts/input as the article information applies to you will be interesting and valued.

http://www.healingwell.com/library/fibro/article.asp?author=cartmell&id=2
    Fibromyalgia: A Plausible Model for Cause and Cure
    by John W. Cartmell, LMP

[Note: There are 5 separate audio/videos on the web site. I have not watched them yet. If the link below does not open them, the link just above will us to them.]

Krys
    Participant

@A Friend wrote:

Hello Everyone,

Amino Acids may have a big part in my mystery, …are necessary for the metabolic system to make enzymes that clear acidic wastes… ……I learned back in 2006 that as a blood type A person, I naturally lacked hydrochloric acid.

… Many of us have conditions that have caused leaky gut, etc. …fibromyalgia … not part of my diagnosis ….changes in my own ability to digest needed protein/amino acids may have led to something that…feels ..like …Fibromyalgia.

Your thoughts/input as the article information applies to you will be interesting and valued.

I know that my body does not produce / absorb crucial enzymes. I came to this conclusion by watching all my symptoms clear up, immediately, after eating green onions and some other raw greens. As of late, leaky gut is getting leakier and my food intolerance has evolved into autoimmune reactions to all kinds of food, including some organic greens. I never know any more what will cause an autoimmune reaction. So healing the gut, digestion, and also finding the best for me heavy duty detox is a must now.
    I find your present post most interesting in that I have been contemplating foods that would supply “complete everything”, including complete enzymes. My conclusion, which is still very unappealing, is small quantities of raw meat (only raw protein contains live enzymes): of course grass fed, small farm raised, and adding more raw veggies and incorporating “miracle” berries and longevity mushrooms. I owe it to Dr. Mercola http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archives/2008/01/02/cook-your-meat-less.aspx (I read something much more elaborate, but could not find it now at mercola.com) that I remembered an old folk cure for anemic, wasting conditions being treated among other things with raw chopped calf liver salad with raw onion and garlic, topped with homemade vinagrette or mustard. Same kind of salad was prepared with beef tender loin. Of course all grass fed, small, organic farm raised. I’ve been contemplating developing a taste for this type of food for a week now, and here comes your post!!! I’ve added Pancreatin to my other digestive enzymes, and I’ve noticed it lessons autoimmune reactions to food. Gluten digesting enzymes are not enough. I still get bad reactions from gluten, starch and sugar.

“…When she increased her daily intake of protein to 55 grams or more and supplemented her meals with pancreatic enzymes (Pancreatin), her pain and stiffness decreased,…When she added hydrochloric acid (Betaine HCI) to her supplement regime, her soft-tissue improved even more.”

It’s interesting that he mentions hydrochloric acid! My blood type is 0, but most of my life I’ve had reasons to believe that I’ve been low on it. Last year, before being diagnosed with Lyme, I established an herbal protocol and also worked on lowering acidity. ACV once or twice a day for a couple of months seemed fine. Then I started adding baking soda and very soon stomach pain started after eating any food. I stopped ACV and baking soda and it got better in time, but any supplement taken in a tablet form just “sits” on my stomach and I can feel it being there for an hour. I still have done nothing about getting a hydrochloric acid supp, even though the idea keeps popping to my mind now and then. I’m glad that this article makes it important!

“A well balanced diet is only as beneficial as your ability to digest what you eat.” Amen to that!!!!

“The structure and function of different proteins in soft-tissues, enzymes, brain-transmitters, and certain hormones, requires proper protein nutrition. If protein nutrition is inadequate due to low dietary intake, maldigestion, or malabsorption, then the potential for degenerative disease can increase.”

Wise doctor, indeed!!!
    Thank you for posting it, A Friend! Warm wishes, Krys

A Friend
    Participant

Hi Krys,
    I just read your information, and it tracks so much of what I’ve also read and understand. If we keep on playing detective, and learning more, and experimenting, we may see improvement and be able to determine what is helpful in our own case,

Krys wrote: As of late, leaky gut is getting leakier and my food intolerance has evolved into autoimmune reactions to all kinds of food, including some organic greens. I never know any more what will cause an autoimmune reaction. So healing the gut, digestion, and also finding the best for me heavy duty detox is a must now.

Here is another of my “finds” (about two days ago) which really got me excited. [Funny, funny thing: It is on a site with articles for animals and for people. Ever since I read quite a few years ago on a vet site that the vet was using AP on some of his animal patients, I jokingly (but seriously) have sometimes said I may get a good vet for my primary care physician. After reading the following site, you may want to join me in that…. lol πŸ˜› ]The following is the link that has revved my engine about learning more about antioxidant enzymes of the body and naturally occurring antioxidant enzymes of the body.
    http://www.nzymes.com/pc/articles.asp?article_id=40&type=&condition_id=&product_id=&panel=4
    Nzymes Articles & Info
    Antioxidant Enzymes of the Body
    Understanding Naturally Occurring Antioxidant Enzymes of the Body

A Friend
    Participant

@Ruffian wrote:

I loved your post and intend to read that article. YES I think you are on to something. I have been addressing this same thing. I’ve been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia after exhausting all other avenues.

I am type A blood, have Fibromyalgia, and drink ph balanced water with wheat grass for the alkaline properties. Also just started taking L-Lysine and it has helped me even more! So yes I think there is a connection.

Hi Ruffian,
    Thanks for replying, and for your information. I, too, have been doing the pH things you mentioned, and things noticeably settled down, and I just knew in due time I was going to be a “well woman.” Well…. I’m not there yet. But I’m a stubborn one, and guess that keeps me going. A link I found two days ago has information on it that may get you and Krys as excited about it as I am (though I’m trying not to get too excited… yet). πŸ˜‰

Am pasting the link I pasted in my reply to Krys. Hope you see something in it helpful for you. Let me suggest that you (& Krys) look under the column to the left on the site titled “Veterinary Studies” (or something like that), as that was incredibly interesting. I have a cousin who is a vet, and we have some interesting conversations! The following is the link that has revved my engine about learning more about antioxidant enzymes of the body and naturally occurring antioxidant enzymes of the body.
    http://www.nzymes.com/pc/articles.asp?a … d=&panel=4
    Nzymes Articles & Info
    Antioxidant Enzymes of the Body
    Understanding Naturally Occurring Antioxidant Enzymes of the Body

Krys
    Participant

@A Friend wrote:

…. I jokingly (but seriously) have sometimes said I may get a good vet for my primary care physician. After reading the following site, you may want to join me in that…. lol
    The following is the link that has revved my engine about learning more about antioxidant enzymes of the body and naturally occurring antioxidant enzymes of the body.
    http://www.nzymes.com/pc/articles.asp?article_id=40&type=&condition_id=&product_id=&panel=4

Thank you. I really like their enzymes, even if I had not read some of the truly inspiring dog healing stories. You don’t even need to read them, the photos speak very loud! Very good advertising, too. Smart. I’m going to get 2 of their enzymes for now.
    I’m keeping my LLMD, but I would enjoy having a good vet as my primary doc!
    @Ruffian wrote:

I .. drink ph balanced water with wheat grass for the alkaline properties. Also just started taking L-Lysine and it has helped me even more!

Ruffian, what a great idea! I’m coping the wheat grass. I already have Lycine, but it is not L-Lycine.
    Warm wishes, Krys

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

…….talking of anti-oxidants, does anyone take CoQ10? It is something I have added to my supp regime as it contrinutes to energy on a mitochondrial level – and is depleted with age. The conventional medical establishment has cottoned onto this and it is now recommended by many docs for those with heart issues, high blood pressure and those taking statin drugs to lower cholesterol. Here’s some info:
    http://www.coenzymeq10.com.au/
    Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

A Friend
    Participant

@lynnie_sydney wrote:

…….talking of anti-oxidants, does anyone take CoQ10? It is something I have added to my supp regime as it contrinutes to energy on a mitochondrial level – and is depleted with age. The conventional medical establishment has cottoned onto this and it is now recommended by many docs for those with heart issues, high blood pressure and those taking statin drugs to lower cholesterol. Here’s some info:
    http://www.coenzymeq10.com.au/
    Lynnie

Lynnie, All,
    In the early 1990’s when I suddenly became chronically ill, I began reading a lot, and the CoQ10 research by the Drs. L (father & son), and the controlled studies done back in late 1980’s or early 1990’s. Even then, it was stated it was found to be helpful with serious dx’es such as cancer, etc. During a very hard first and second year of chronic illness (triggered by that jawbone infection I’ve mentioned before), I got a bottle of it, only 30 mg per capsule, took one in the afternoon, and the next morning when I awakened, I discovered a startling brown tongue (bacterial die-off, I’m sure), and began digging to find an answer to this.

Prior to this, a friend had brought over a Prevention health encyclopedia of some sort (well known, but can’t recall the title). I soon found this was from die-off and referred to in the book. Well, needless to say I was impressed with that little 30 mg capsule. I continued to take it since, but upped it to 100 mg. After a bout of recurring angina-like pain about two years ago (during the time of the acidosis discovery), a work-up to rule angina in or out was done. It was found by a local cardiologist (ironically one of the researchers above) who used a coQ10 level test available at a specialty lab, that in spite of my taking the 100 mg daily, the test showed my level was 1/2 of what was expected. The cardiologist asked me to double the amount I was taking. Also, when testing was completed, angina was ruled out, but the deficient ATP/CoQ10 levels (which our body manufactures) created the angina-like problems. Now, in the links/information I’ve been reading, ATP (heart energy) is affected and mentioned in the links posted last night.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 20 years before RA. I know several others who had that sequence also.

Jan

hi friend, i was very ill in 1989, result of a nervous breakdown, was told i had “post viral virema”, that doctor said i had , had “epstien barr virus at some time? and”cytomeglo virus” at some time? i never remembered ever being sick with anything like that? that was the start of a downhill spiral of illness, cocktail of many,many, drugs for depression. and in 1995 was told by a rheumy that i had “fibromyalgia, cfs, and costocondritis.. and given a pain killer? i was also given thyroid meds not because i had any symptoms of hypothyroidism, but because the b,test was a bit low they gave me oroxine for the depression as well, that wasnt the rheumy but another gp. in 1996 i removed myself from a toxic situation and began the long road of getting off a mountain of “pills” it has taken me all those years . so i dont know if i had fibrimyalgia , or it was a nervous breakdown, with a wrong diagnosis. i am only adding this in case it can help someone πŸ™‚ whatever it was i suppose the rundown state my body is in has allowed the bacteria to take hold , as i had another severe stressful situation just prior to being dxd with r.a.? i am only glad i have found the a.p. and can start on a journey of some hope . good health to you all..kind regards ..di. πŸ™‚

a50505
    Participant

@lynnie_sydney wrote:

…….talking of anti-oxidants, does anyone take CoQ10?

I’ve been a fan of CoQ10 since the 90’s; I like it a lot.
    “PQQ” is something I just learned about and is supposed to have synergy with CoQ10.
    My wife has been energy-challenged, so when I read up on PQQ I added that to our supplement list;
    my thinking being that even if it helps a little bit, it is very worth while.
    http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/feb2011_Generate-Fresh-Mitochondria-with-PQQ_01.htm

I generally like what the Life Extension people write; the reasoning behind their conclusions is pretty clearly spelled out and often have a plausible mechanism. (Take their advertising with a healthy pinch of salt though.)

John

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hi, A Friend:

Fibromyalgia is the single most common misdiagnosis for women who really have AS, Crohn’s, or Reiter’s (all the same disease, really). I read the article with some interest, as I have been researching, by stumbling across so many cases, this condition for many years.

Uveitis is fairly common in AS, which is a conspiracy between LGS (Leaky Gut), a common bowel bacterium, and the primary foods supplied by our technological diet, upon which this bacterium blooms into a procreation frenzy. Uveitis is never part of an FM diagnosis and it should rule it out in fact; FM is not considered an inflammatory condition whereas these are:

AS is strongly associated with the HLA B27 antigen. About an 8% chance of having this tissue type.
    SLE is usually associated with HLA DR2/DR3. Differing risk levels, but about 25%.
    RA is often associated with HLA DR1/DR4; approximately 30% of overall population.

I have been frustrated by physicians who know so little about AS (and FM) that they are unable to do a proper differential diagnosis, but there are people who have been misdiagnosed for many, many years. And in the case of AS it only provides me with some level of comfort that at least they were not being (mis)-treated for AS! Use of NSAIDs will nearly always make this disease much more severe by increasing LGS.

FM looked a lot like oxygen starvation; the 18 classic sites are nearly identical to those mentioned by people who have done mixture diving with the O2 levels not quite high enough. It seems that aerobic activities improved the condition in many people, but it is more than that; having much to do with digestion and absorption issues. In a page from a veterinarian, Joel Wallach calls FM “stiff lamb disease,” and he treated (I don’t know how successfully) it with minerals (of course).

HEALTH,
    John

A Friend
    Participant

@a50505 wrote:

@lynnie_sydney wrote:

…….talking of anti-oxidants, does anyone take CoQ10?

I’ve been a fan of CoQ10 since the 90’s; I like it a lot.
    “PQQ” is something I just learned about and is supposed to have synergy with CoQ10.
    My wife has been energy-challenged, so when I read up on PQQ I added that to our supplement list;
    my thinking being that even if it helps a little bit, it is very worth while.
    http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2011/feb2011_Generate-Fresh-Mitochondria-with-PQQ_01.htm

I generally like what the Life Extension people write; the reasoning behind their conclusions is pretty clearly spelled out and often have a plausible mechanism. (Take their advertising with a healthy pinch of salt though.)

John

Hi John (USA) and John (Dragon Slayer),

I’ve gotten caught up in life and have-to-do’s the past couple of days and haven’t been able to adequately reply (still can’t do that yet). BUT, I want to thank you both for your replies and information. And, want to really pay attention to what you have written. I, too, have been impressed with LEF for some time. Fellows, I’m so impressed with both of you, and welcome the chance to learn from you. Dragon Slayer, you’ve been catching my attention for quite a long time. So glad I sent out this SOS topic. Am loving the input.

I’ve slept several times since the original posting of this topic. So, this might be a re-statement. It looks to me like hip dysplasia may have been gradually developing (over a long period of time) while everything else since 2006 seemed to be getting so much better. (Never a dull… peaceful… moment, huh?) That’s why the information on the NZymes.com site — articles and references included — are so impressive for my own situation. It looks to me like the first two years of my illness (in the early 1990’s) with the big-time fouling up of my gastro system (two years of constant abx and not knowing about probiotics) is what set all of these things into play. Having been so very healthy all of my life, it has been puzzling. I just thought if I could do something to turn how I felt around, the old-faithful body I HAD HAD would return. πŸ™‚ Wish I had known then what I’m still learning today.

Thanks again to you two, to Krys, and everyone else who are contributing to my education.

A Friend
    Participant

AF adds: I DITTO Krys’ comment about Ruffian’s pH balanced water with wheat grass. Guess I’ll have to try that. Something perhaps similar that I do: I keep a pint jar of Kyo-Green powder which is full of good healthy things, and when I need a pick-me-up or something more interesting than water to drink, I put a teaspoon of the green powder in a glass of pure water, add some lemon juice and just a bit of Kal brand powdered stevia (I always put this Kal info, as this is the only stevia I really like), and stir it well and add a bit of ice. I really like this drink, and feel it’s a treat and a treatment.
    AF

A Friend
    Participant

The following older post was found copied in my Word files after reading a post by one of our members giving an update on his spouse’s condition, describing carpal tunnel and other problems related. It has been sent in a Private Message, but decided it might be helpful to paste it in this thread, as the information seems to reinforce that other serious problems can be caused by inability to convert foods, etc. into needed enzymes. And this just “may” be another source of our chronic illnesses. Here is the older post:

Key information has been copied from the book into the e-mail message below:

_____Original Message_____
    Date: 2009-02-07 17:27:22
    Subject: Keyboarded excerpts from Dr. Ellis’ book

Free of Pain” by John Marion Ellis, M.D. with Harry Preston:

I have keyboarded a few important quotes from Dr. Ellis’ book. Hopefully, some copies of the book may yet turn up some place. It was a very inspirational book, and certainly made me know my daughter needed to try this FIRST! AF

There are two Forewords:
    1) The first Foreword: pgs xi-xii [excerpts from words of Moise D. Levy, Jr., M.D., F.A.C.P., Temple, Texas:

….He [Dr. Ellis] also, at this time, told me of the work of Professor Karl Folkers, measuring an enzyme that is B6 dependent. With this test it was demonstrated that all patients with idiopathic carpal tunnel syndrome were markedly deficient in activity of this enzyme. After reviewing the data of Dr. Ellis had accumulated, it became evident to me that this could well explain problems I had observed in quite a few patients over my years in a rheumatology practice…… We were able to demonstrate that these patients all demonstrated a marked deficiency of the red blood cell enzyme which is dependent on B6, that they all experienced relief of their complaints of pain and that physical evidence of their disease resolved and that the enzyme deficiency returned to normal when patients were treated with Vitamin B6. The patients were studied under “double blind” conditions. These data confirmed the results Dr. Ellis had observed over many years of study in his private practice….

2) Pg. xv, from a 2nd Foreword by Jan Lewandowski, M.D., Ph.D. Research Scientist, The University of Texas Health Center at Tyler, the excerpt]:
    I was particularly impressed that the severe stiffness in the fingers as well as edema, pain, numbness and tingling subsided in response to vitamin B6 therapy. It was apparent to me that without Dr. Ellis’ discovery some of the patients would have had to be treated surgically. [end of excerpt]

3) Pg. 27 of the book:
    For the past 50 years chemists have been studying the different enzymes in the body that must have vitamin B6. If a person is born without a certain enzyme, a serious birth defect becomes apparent. If the B vitamins are not eaten daily, the enzymes can not do their jobs and split the amino acids. If the amino acids are not split about eight or nine different ways for the individual cells of the different organs, then abnormal metabolites begin getting too high in the blood, become deposited in the tissues, and we get sick. Each ay the enzymes assisted by the vitamins split apart the food we eat, and remnants of waste products are filtered out of the blood by two marvelous organs — the kidney and the liver. [end of excerpt]

4) Pg. 51 [excerpt begins] Since that time, of course, thousands of medical papers and discoveries have advanced our knowledge of the hundreds of involuntary inter-related activities essential to life. In regard to vitamins and the enzymatic processes of the blood, attention must be directed to all systems in the body, as it has been established that deficiencies of the B vitamins quickly cause functional changes in the brain and the nerves that come from the spinal column. [PP=paragraph] Vitamin B6 plays a vital role in human nutrition because it is necessary for the metabolism of protein entering into one hundred enzymatic reactions involving cells in the brain, liver, nerves, blood vessels, kidneys, muscles, and the ductless glands that produce certain hormones. For normal bodily functions, all the food we eat has to be properly utilized, and without sufficient Vitamin B6, the body cannot properly utilize protein. Many chemists proved this. [PP] Years of intensive study and research passed before I came to the firm conclusion that Vitamin B6 deficiency was causing changes in the hands for reasons other than disturbances in circulation. These changes primarily were in the nerves of the hands and in the function of the tendons that move the fingers. Stiffness in fingers indicated severe B6 deficiency….. [end of excerpts from pg. 51]

5) Pg 127 [excerpt]: We also discovered from the study in Tyler that it took seventy days to get the enzyme up to maximum activity and the same time for patients to show conclusive improvement after receiving 100 to 150 milligrams of pyridoxine daily….From repeated tests, I proved that ordinary stiffness of the fingers is not the result of the aging process, but the result of malnutrition, or B6 deficiency, causing changes in the synovia, the same changes that occur in the arteries leading to arteriosclerosis….. [end of excerpt from pg 127]

6) pg 176 [excerpt]: White bread does not carry enough vitamin B6 to metabolize its own glutamate for brain energy and brain function, yet white bread is the most widely consumed staple food in the United States of America

A Friend
    Participant

John, and all of you posting on this subject:

I’ve missed all of you recently. My computer’s hard drive crashed, and nothing could be salvaged on it. Fortunately, Carbonite had most of it. BUT, let this reminder maybe help you. If you do not know if Carbonite is backing up your e-mail contacts, etc., call them and have them check it for you. (I worked for a large computer company years ago, but I never learned to fix any of it… just picked up the phone and we had in-house people who took care of that. I desperately need to take a PC course on the inner workings of this thing!!! Also, if you have a standalone backup device, I recommend you make sure everything you value is backed up.

Also, a very close family member has been having severe cardiac problems… and I’ve begun reviewing papers, and finding new ones. I am amazed that one of the research papers has helped further solve the problems posted in my post on up above — where I wrote about my cardiologist finding that my CoQ10 levels were half of what it was expected to be.

An eye-opening paper has taught me that to make ATP (energy for the heart, etc.) certain nutrients are needed… and these are simple and I believe inexpensive. I will paste below some of the links that have caught my eye in the last few days on this subject… for my close relative…. and for myself and some of you.

Note: Some of these are several years old. My favorite one I did not readily find… and afraid I’m going to lose this post… so, I’ll come back later and add my new favorite find!!!
    Life Extension

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.