Home Forums General Discussion Interesting tidbit from my Nutrition class…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    mommaof2princesses
    Participant

Hi everyone!!

I am taking a Nutrition class which is very informative, I will share whatever I can with anyone who is interested. My ltest project was dissecting ingredients from a product that is not good for you and looking up all of the additives, I am on a special diet and do not eat this stuff but the list is scary. It tells you all of the food additives, their uses and the dangers. I just thougt I would share this informative website with anyone who is interested, considering that most of us are on special diets and have to be careful of what we eat. What a scary world we live in… by the way if anyone is interested the main additives in twizzlers are food coloring…which is a carcinogen. Lovely that these are marketed to children…

http://www.cspinet.org/reports/chemcuisine.htm

Baskettwin
    Participant

Thanks for sharing.

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

No problem! (Disturbing read isn't it??)

chriscw8
    Participant

Thanks Momma,

I learned a lot!

Christine

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

No problem I couldn't believe the list when I read it!

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Thanks Moms!

I passed this one on to my daughters and will print for my Mom.  We all like to try to eat right and especially my girls worry about my grandsons.

This is simple too.

Susan

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

It is so scary what these additives can do to you! I anazyzed Twizzlers for my project and it is all chemicals my oldest has them on occasion and I threw the package out it is all food coloring with is a carcinogen and can casue adrenal tumors (shudder), scary! I actually buy organic lollipops for my kids to have once in awhile they still have sugar but instead of food dye the coloring is provided by vegetable powders such as beet powder, no chemicals!

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Great idea on the organic lollipops.

When I was 30, I used twizzlers to help me stop smoking.  I kept a pack by the phone, in the car, all the places I used to keep cigs.  It worked.  After 8 mths, I gave up the twizzlers, but I have had fond feelings for them as they were so helpful to me at that time.  I never dreamed they could be as dangerous as the cigarettes.

Susan

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

I actually brought that point up in my project! and the worst part is that they are markete mainly to children…

linda
    Participant

My AP doctor in AZ rx'd me EDTA because of it's chelating effect. He felt it would help break down the biofilm of the mycos; this is the doctor who believes that magnesium is used by the mycos to build their biofilm. I had to get it from a compounding pharmacy. Unfortunately, I had to stop AP at that time due to tummy trubbles, but I still have the bottle of EDTA. I wonder if I should try it again, it it supposed to be safe.

I had switched from Splenda to stevia, but according to this list, it hasn't been tested well enough to be considered safe, now what?

deeS
    Participant

Great info!

deeS

linda
    Participant

After looking at the list and all the food colorings on it, it reminded me again of all the junk in our pet's food as well. Not only harmful to them, but to my carpet when they toss their cookies. :sick: Maybe I'll market a pet food line with no food coloring, esp no red, which is what really stains the carpeting so bad. What in the world is food coloring doing in pet food anyway? They can't see all colors, and even if they could, wouldn't care. It's all marketing, I know.

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Linda,

I have a great natural health dog book by Dr. Pitcairn, a leading alternative veterinarian.  This book has so much practical commonsense advice.

He gives lots of recipes for a natural diet.  I have incorporated some of them and my 11 yr old dogs are much more peppy and their eyes sparkle.  They don't act their age at all.  I have the cat on a more natural diet too.   I do use commercial kibble to help me along because I work and have limited time, but I buy kibble with no artificial ingredients.

He has a recipe for “healthy powder” which uses nutritional yeast, lecithin, kelp, bonemeal and vitamin C.  Since all the ingredients are “people food” I sprinkle it on my cereal too.

Most recently, my poodle developed a bad wheezing.  Every dog I have owned that developed this, had an enlarged heart and never lived another year afterward.  Since poodles usually live to 16, I was heartbroken and alarmed to see her develop this cough.  Off to the vet who said she has a bad heart murmur.  $135 of bloodwork revealed nothing and they were prepared to just drop the whole subject.  I called and said “what's next?”  I got deer-in-the-headlight looks from them and they said “take her to Va Tech”.  Well, you know what that means.  Major bucks on tests, tests, tests.  They refused to clean her teeth because of the murmur.

I went to my dog book and read about homeopathic remedies that might help.  He does admit you can't always save a dog with a bad heart.  Having nothing to lose, I found a local homeopath and contacted her to see if she could sell me one of the recommended remedies.  She said 'may I treat her?  I don't charge much.”  Of course I said yes.  She charged me $25. and recommended a remedy that I purchased at the local healthfood store for $6.  She said only treat until symptoms stop then stop treatment.

It took 3 days, that is 3 treatments, for the wheezing to dissappear.  That was 2 weeks ago and still no wheezing.  Meanwhile racing around the yard and on walks like a puppy with no sign of strain whatsoever.

I don't know how long it will last but hooray for simple, cheap natural medicine.

Susan

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Great story Susan – and long may your poodle stay puppy-like! I have not fed my dogs grain-based commercial food since a beloved Golden Retriever of mine became a celiac at age 7. At the age of 11, after a few years on a fresh raw diet, people were still stopping me in the street asking me how old my pup was! Since then, I have fed all my dogs a fresh raw diet that includes all the ingredients in The Missing Link  and meaty bones (per a holistic vet, Ian Billingshurst, who wrote the book Give Your Dog a Bone). My current boy is 11 and has no stiffness, arthritis, has a glossy coat and still moves like dogs half his age. Many holistic vets these days will first take arthritic dogs off commercial grain-based foods to see if it resolves (and often it does). 

BTW, as per Kim's post: how was your appointment???? Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

linda
    Participant

Thanks Susan,

I'll look into getting the book, my chi is 10 y/o, and while he still loves to play and go for walks, he is slowing down, as is my little calico cat, the bane of his existence. It doesn't hurt that I won't be trying to get red food coloring out of the carpet, either! Hope your little poodle continues to stay well, as I've said before, pets are such good therapy for us.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ Interesting tidbit from my Nutrition class…’ is closed to new replies.