Home Forums General Discussion Interesting Doctor Appointment

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    mschmidt
    Participant

I went to the doctor today, un-related to my SD or Lyme.  When I was sitting in the waiting room, I saw brochures for a study being conducted at the medical center for women between the ages of 50-70, who had or currently have breast cancer.  They're trying to link a bacteria to breast cancer.  Hmmm…an INFECTIOUS cause of cancer??  Say it isn't so!! She looked at my medical history, and commented that I've had a hell of a time the last 2 years.  We talked about Lyme Disease (which she acknowledged, and believes in), our terrible food supply, gluten intolerance, food allergies, and how environmental exposures, as well as stealth pathogens are the underlying cause of disease.  Coincidentally (or not, since this happens weekly to me now), her best friend's mother has had Scleroderma for 10 years, and isn't doing great.  When I told her about my experience with antibiotic protocol, her eyes lit up, and she said that it made all the sense in the world, and couldn't believe how I was dismissed by so many doctors in the same medical facility she works in.  She wrote down the books by Henry Scammel, and is ordering them for her friend, as well as herself to read.  We exchanged personal contact information, and she's calling me after she reads the books.  It was SO refreshing to have that reaction from a doctor for a change. 

She also told me she recently spoke at a conference, and was criticized by “old school” doctors for her openess to alternative forms of treatment for breast cancer. (she's a surgical oncologist) Her opinion is that the availability of information on the internet is already changing how patients view treatment options, which is a good shaking up of the old medical paradigm.  The doctors who aren't open minded are going to be weeded out in the next 5-10 years.  And, the new wave of doctors aren't buying into the influences of the pharmaceutical companies as much as doctors in the past.  Her practice doesn't even allow pharmaceutical reps through the door–they can only send information to her practice, and the doctors collectively research the drugs, and decide if they're worth suggesting.  This is taking place in a major medical center, which is a teaching hospital, with a medical college attached.  I left there filled with hope for the future, for entirely different reasons than before.  More than ever, I believe that it's my calling to spread my personal experience like wildfire, especially to doctors.  Some will listen, some won't but, at least they'll hear my story.  I thought it was a good thing to share this with all of you.

Go AP!!:D

Maria

mj47
    Participant

That is fabulous Maria!  How fulfilling it must have felt for you to not only have had all of your hard work acknowledged by a medical doctor, but also taken to heart.  It sounds like you've got a convert on your hands!  Congratulations.  We need more of that.  What your doctor is doing regarding pharma reps is so awesome.  Perhaps doctors will soon be listening & respecting their patient's input.
    Thanks 4 sharing.

~mj

Kim
    Participant

Wow, Maria, what a productive visit.  This certainly gives me hope too.  Good work! 🙂

Take care…..kim

nspiker
    Participant

Maria….you go girl!:dude:

It was refreshing to hear that mainstream doctors are open minded to new and alternative methods of treating patients.  We can only hope, that in the next 5 -10 years, there is a transformation in medicine.

And your doctor won't even allow pharmaceutical reps in the office – if only our government officials followed these same rules of ethics! (oops, can't help myself)

nancy

mkbeeliever
    Participant

[user=977]mschmidt[/user] wrote:

They're trying to link a bacteria to breast cancer.  Hmmm…an INFECTIOUS cause of cancer??  Say it isn't so!!

We talked about Lyme Disease (which she acknowledged, and believes in), our terrible food supply, gluten intolerance, food allergies, and how environmental exposures, as well as stealth pathogens are the underlying cause of disease. 

When I told her about my experience with antibiotic protocol, her eyes lit up, and she said that it made all the sense in the world

She wrote down the books by Henry Scammel, and is ordering them for her friend, as well as herself to read. 

She also told me she recently spoke at a conference, and was criticized by “old school” doctors for her openess to alternative forms of treatment for breast cancer.

The doctors who aren't open minded are going to be weeded out in the next 5-10 years.  And, the new wave of doctors aren't buying into the influences of the pharmaceutical companies as much as doctors in the past. 

Go AP!!:D

Maria

LOVE IT!  Such a great post Maria!  Thank you for sharing this with us – it gives me great hope!  You are a such a gem!  Look out, world of medicine, here comes Maria!

Blessings,
    Michelle

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Wow Maria – what an amazingly hopeful response. Great work:dude:. Lynnie  – and one for this doctor too:dude: 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Patti D
    Participant

Maria
    You are like magic girl! This is such a important connection to make with the doctors. Don't you just feel that this one conversation could change hundreds of lives.
    Way to go neighbor. There is hope for us all!

Happy days!
    Patti

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Maria;
        That is great news.You might want to pass this along to your doctor.It is from Dr.Cantwell who deal a lot with SD research in the AP tradition.

http://bacteriality.com/2007/09/11/cantwell/

mschmidt
    Participant

Lynne G,

Thank you so much for that link–I just read it, and absolutely will pass it on to that doctor!! (as well as save it to my desktop to show others)

Maria

JBJBJB
    Participant

Maria,

It's a wonderful feeling, paying it forward, saving lives of other fellow SD patients….sometimes it makes thinking your chance to meet this doctor is perhaps “organized randomness” :>;) Got it?

High Five!!!

JB

JBJBJB
    Participant

I “met” a sweet lady from scleroderma support group who is about 45. She lives in SF, California. She has systemic and diffusion scleroderma. I told her about AP back in March, 2008. She was very anti-abx. She has been going down hill with cellcepts, cytaxon.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Maria,my sweet,you might want to google up other info by Dr. Cantwell.I know he does a lot of collaboration(English spelling???)with Dr Marshall these days.

mschmidt
    Participant

I actually remember reading quite a few articles by Dr. Cantwell about a year ago.  I was spending so much time reading so many different doctor's articles on SD, Lyme, Autoimmunity…etc  With the terrible brain fog I had at the time, I couldn't remember who wrote what:?  You should see my desktop and folders–I finally started compiling all the info I collected over 2 years, and have them organized by disease, bacteria, virus, parasite and fungus.  OCD much??:D  I drive myself nuts sometimes but hey, at least I can type and think clearly now, thanks to AP.

Maz
    Keymaster

I went to the doctor today, un-related to my SD or Lyme.  When I was sitting in the waiting room, I saw brochures for a study being conducted at the medical center for women between the ages of 50-70, who had or currently have breast cancer.  They're trying to link a bacteria to breast cancer.  Hmmm…an INFECTIOUS cause of cancer??  Say it isn't so!! 

Maria, great job! :dude: You've really built yourself a great team of docs!!!

Thought you might be interested that doxycycline has been studied for its favorable effects on breast and prostate cancer. This article includes a number of studies at the end:

http://www.revoptom.com/content/d/therapeutics/c/15070/

Also, when the whole XMRV thing came to light last May, there was some discussion that this virus may also be related to breast and prostate cancer and that anti-virals (I think specifically an old one, called Riboviran) had shown some efficacy in its treatment, too.

Plenty of cancers have now been linked to all sorts of infections now…bacterial, viral and fungal…about time some research was going into looking for causes for breast cancer. 😀 

Peace, Maz

BeatingRA
    Participant

This is taking place in a major medical center, which is a teaching hospital, with a medical college attached.

Maria,

Thank you for sharing this very encouraging news!  We need more doctors like this one.

Theresa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘ Interesting Doctor Appointment’ is closed to new replies.