Home Forums General Discussion Infrared Saunas

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Time_of_my_Life
    Participant

Thanks to everyone for all your help!  This is the one I ended up getting! 

http://www.brookproducts.com/bk2hem.html

I'm so excited to use it. 🙂

Parisa
    Participant

Where are you going to put it?

tbird2340
    Participant

[user=212]Time_of_my_Life[/user] wrote:

Thanks to everyone for all your help!

Kim
    Participant

Happy sweating, Lori.  You'll enjoy that baby more in a few months in South Dakota. 😉

Take care…..kim

JBJBJB
    Participant

Very and very nice. Looks like you are into a serious biz. Let us know how it goes.

Carrie-RA
    Participant

This may be a dumb question, but are these just DRY sauna or is there steam… or both? Is one type of heat (dry vs wet) more beneficialy for someone with RA or other immune disorders?

judy cash
    Participant

Carrie,

I was wondering the same thing. Sure hope someone chimes in to answer this question. I thought I might benefit from one also.

Judy

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Carrie and Judy,

Far Infrared saunas are dry radiant heat. Infrared is from the light spectrum and penetrates deep into the skin, muscles and tissues. Some insurance companies are actually giving some coverage for RAers or if you can get a doc's script saying they are “medically necessary for this patient.” My doc just wrote me a script so I could claim a portion back on my taxes, as I paid for it myself.

I just did a quick search and, although this site is selling FIR saunas, their explanation is good:

http://www.wccomfort.com/how-infrared-saunas-work/

And another:

http://www.saunafin.com/infrared-saunas-howtheyheal.htm

And another:

http://sauna.lifetips.com/faq/118410/0/how-do-infrared-saunas-work/index.html

There's lots more sites out there explaining the health benefits of FIR saunas and how they work. LOVE my sauna! 🙂

Peace, Maz

Carrie-RA
    Participant

Off that last site I found this:

Far Infrared vs. Steam Saunas
    Steam saunas have their place in natural healing. In fact, they have stood their ground for thousands of years. In a purely electric, dry sauna environment, those with sensitive nasal passages may become irritated.

Hence, those with respiratory concerns or sinusitus may find it prudent to use warm, aromatherapy steam for sweat bathing and detoxification and healing.

My next question is. Do most FIRs do both wet and dry?

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=2256]Carrie-RA[/user] wrote:

My next question is. Do most FIRs do both wet and dry?

Hi Carrie,

There are two types of FIR saunas…one is a ceramic-heated sauna and the other is heated by carbon panels. Both do the same thing and provide dry heat, but the carbon-paneled ones give more even, ambiant heat, heat up faster and use less energy.

The idea of FIR sauna is the ability of infrared's place in the light spectrum to penetrate so deeply into the tissues (something steam heat isn't as effective at doing). It is also much easier for those with lung issues to breathe in a FIR sauna.

I ramp my FIR sauna up to 125f (max) for half an hour (had to work up to this temp and time) and sweat buckets! Must drink at least a couple bottles of water while in there.

These type of saunas are very different from steam in that you open the door and it feels warm, but not stiflingly so (more like sitting outside on a hot, sunny day). However, you can feel the radiant heat gradually going deep into your muscles and joints and, for me, it's after about 5 or 10 mins when I start dripping with sweat. Sorry for the visual, but this is just to explain how deeply this type of heat goes into the tissues and you can almost feel it forcing toxins from the inside out.

Peace, Maz

Carrie-RA
    Participant

Maz,

So, if I'm waking up so stiff from my RA in the morning that I can barely walk the staircase… Would this be something I could get into for 1/2 hr every morning and it might make my day a lot better? Perhaps I could start working out again (walking, recumbant bike, etc?)

Does that see far fetched?

I used to get up every morning and workout. Not now, but not for lack of desire or determination.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=2256]Carrie-RA[/user] wrote:

So, if I'm waking up so stiff from my RA in the morning that I can barely walk the staircase… Would this be something I could get into for 1/2 hr every morning and it might make my day a lot better? Perhaps I could start working out again (walking, recumbant bike, etc?)

Does that see far fetched?

Hi Carrie,

Yes, the FIR sauna does help with pain and stiffness, but it's health benefits aren't limited to this….it's also has very good cardiovascular benefits, something which is very important for rheumatics (lowering inflam, reducing blood pressure and cholesterol, etc). Saunas simulate a fever, the body's natural mechanism for killing infections. 

I bought my sauna when I was 95% improved, but if I ever have an aching muscle or my knee is playing up, my FIR sauna does help enormously to loosen things up. I can't tell you if you'd be back to working out or able to navigate stairs immediately, because the effects of FIR saunas are cumulative. With regular use (my doc advised every other day for a max of half an hour), it's just a really nice supportive adjunct to AP, to reduce herxing and release toxins (which create inflam) over time. I have found it to be a lifestyle change, really…something that has supported my antibiotic therapy greatly, over time, by using it regularly. This summer it's been a bit too hot to get in regularly, but now the cooler weather has crept back, I am back to it.

They are a bit of an investment, though it's possible to buy portable FIR saunas quite reasonably for as little as $160 and up.

Peace, Maz

Carrie-RA
    Participant

I was just at the doc's today and asked about IR saunas. She said they are not a fan, as they upset the electrolite balance in the body and dehydrate you.

It's always something.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Carrie,

That's a pretty interesting response from your doc. 😕 The health benefits of FIR saunas are many and well-known.

JMHO, but I think saunas only dehydrate a person if they aren't hydrating their body enough. I drink two bottles of water while in the sauna and lots more before and after, all day. I also sometimes add Tri-salts to my sauna drinking water. It's also a wise idea to work up the time and temp gradually to individual tolerance. So one wouldn't just hit the highest temp and sit in it for an hour, for instance.

To start with, I went at it a little too aggressively and herxed by the end of the first week. Checking in with my doc about this, he recommended I only use it every other day, starting at 10 mins at 110f and gradually increasing the time to half an hour max. Then, to gradually increase the temp over the next few weeks to 125f max. He actually recommended the FIR sauna to me, saying the bugs don't like the heat, which is why I had herxed. In effect, it simulates a brief period of fever which is the body's own method of killing bugs. My doc also mentioned that some insurance companies are covering some of the cost on FIR saunas for RA, so I'm guessing they recognize the benefits, too.

My best suggestion would be to do your own research and decide for yourself if it makes sense to you. 😉 

Peace, Maz

Kim
    Participant

Carrie,

I'm with Maz on this one.  The benefits of sauna therapy are just too good and replacing the fluids lost is a no-brainer, so that's a pretty lame argument, in my opinion. 😉

Take care…..kim

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘ Infrared Saunas’ is closed to new replies.