Home Forums General Discussion infrared sauna use

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    luvmywonderfulkids
    Participant

Cheryl,

Did you buy this for Jess? Did it help her?

Sue

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Sue,

Yes, we purchased the sauna at the recommendation of the rheumatologist that she was seeing. I cannot say with certainty that it “helped” her because she was as recovered at that time as she is today. From all I have read, along with our doctor's strong recommendation, I “believe” that it helped her. She is no longer able to use the sauna regularly because she doesn't have access to a sauna.

I used the sauna regularly too. I read the book that A Friend recommended earlier in this thread, Detoxify or Die, by Rogers.

I am currently without access to a sauna and I crave it and feel like I need it.

Cheryl

luvmywonderfulkids
    Participant

Thank you! Is it better to get the portable ones that you zip yourself into or the wooden ones.  I googled the portable ones last night and it looks to me like you keep your head out? That would probably be better for Ryan, but BJ's has the cedar ones as well — I imagine the zip up ones are better on electricity as well?

Sue

JOJO19551
    Participant

I purchased the portable one so I can take it with me when we go to our other house in New York State.  It folds up like a suit case.

The articles that A Friend posted were very informative, thank you. JoAnn

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

A local chiropractor has the portable one and I used it once.  This is also the model I purchased on e-bay.  I have not yet received it.  I like it because it is portable and because I can keep my head out of it.

Susan

casey
    Participant

Hello All,

Could someone tell me the size of the protable ones? Do they only fit little people? I dont mean just children size or size 14 ladies, i mean overweight people?

Also, how do these work? I am assuming there must be a light bulb in them. Would there be a way of covering the bulb so we still get the heat but not the light? Or… am i totally off with this?

Thanks,

Casey

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Hi Casey,

The portable ones come in two sizes (maybe more) regular for 5'4″ and under and large for taller people.

The width is very big and I would think most anyone of any size would fit in it.  It comes with a chair and the chair might be too small but I am sure you could replace the chair.  Just research what materials are safe to use.

The heat comes from a ceramic heater.  Now that is all the technology I can offer.  If you research, I am sure there is more specific information out there than this.  I do know that it does not emit bright light and even if it did, your head is outside of the sauna so the light would not affect your eyes.  Is that your concern?

Someone else has already posted a picture of the sauna.  Your head and hands are outside the box, although your hands can remain inside if you wish.

Susan

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

Casey,

If you do a google search on the portable/collapseable sauna, you can see the actual size. As far as putting something over the light, that doesn't seem wise, I would think it would create a fire hazard.

Cheryl

casey
    Participant

For years we  used  infrared heat lamps for some of the newborns here that needed a little extra TLC. I guess i am picturing this inside a portable sauna. Since i cant see the inside/heating apparatus in pictures, i am confused about how it heats. Is there a bulb in it like one would use for baby animals or a ceramic heater ?  Or have i confused others here more than myself? Susan, you likely know what i mean here, infrared bulb=heat for little animals. Sounds like some come with a heat bulb and yet others have ceramic heaters.

Thanks,

Casey

stwig
    Participant

Hi Casey,
    The portable one that I have has infrared panels in the back and on the left and right sides. The panels are hooked onto the sides of the sauna, and they are only about 1/4 inch in depth. They are quite tall and wide and cover the sides and back. Mine also came with a ceramic heater that sits in the bottom.

When mine first arrived the heater had been dropped in transit and it did not work. While I waited for them to send the replacement I used the sauna with the infrated panels only. They did get me warm, to that sticky, almost sweating feeling, but the sweat did not really roll. Once I got the ceramic heater I found that the combination of the two can get the sauna up to about 135 degrees, and I sweat like there is no tomorrow !

I think the infrared sauna works in two ways. I believe that the infrared waves penetrate the body about 2 centimeters and that mycoplasma does not tolerate the IR waves. I am convinced that the combination is the important part- kill them, then sweat it out.

Starla

linda
    Participant

My portable sauna does not have lamps, it has panels that heat up along the sides and back of the sauna. You aren't close enough to them to worry about burns. The only thing really that you need to look for in the portable models is the chair. Mine came with what is basically a small fold-up chair. It's not very comfy, esp since I have gained weight, but it's only for 20 min at a time so I tolerate. I do put a small couch pillow on it, tho. They also come with arm openings so you can extend your arms and read a book

casey
    Participant

Thanks for the info !

Casey

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘ infrared sauna use’ is closed to new replies.