Home Forums General Discussion infrared sauna use

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    JOJO19551
    Participant

Hello All.  My Dermatologist, who is the one treating my scleroderma, thinks I should get an infrared sauna to help break down the collagen.  I found a portable for $359, which is not bad.  Can anyone who has use one for their treatment tell me how I should start using this, how often, how long, etc.  I appreciate any advise you may have.  Thanks, JoAnn

Kim
    Participant

Hi JoAnn,

I've had wonderful results from using my infrared sauna.  I firmly believe one reason we got sick in the first place is that we are bad at detoxing, so you may notice at first it will take you a long time before you break a sweat.  As your body clears, you will start to sweat faster.

A reasonable first session would be 110-120 degrees for about 30 minutes and see how you do.  I always pre-heat the sauna.  Be sure to drink water before, during and after.  My sessions now are 140 degrees for 40 minutes.  At the beginning I used the sauna almost daily which was why I saw such positive results.  My circulation has improved so much that my Raynaud's is almost totally gone.   My skin texture has improved and the color is more normal.  My joints feel great.  Now I use it a couple of times a week because I've been working outside and it's been hot enough to work up a sweat.  In the beginning I found the sauna absolutely wore me out, and I think it was just because it was moving a lot of toxins quickly.

I'd be interested in knowing if you notice improvements too. 🙂

kim

stwig
    Participant

Good day one and all,
    I got an infrared sauna to help in my battle with RA, so I cannot speak to its effectiveness on scleroderma. However I do agree with Kim, in that when I first started using my sauna I was not a very good sweater. I started using it about 4 weeks ago and now I'm up to 40 minutes at 135 degrees. The sweat really rolls now, and my muscles feel much better. I can tell that the sweat sessions are detoxing me. I do feel drained after the sauna session, but in a very relaxed way.
    Starla

JOJO19551
    Participant

Thanks to both of you.  I am excited for my sauna's arrival.  I will keep you posted how it works.  I am retaining fluid in my legs and hopefully this will help with that as well.  Thanks so much, JoAnn

stwig
    Participant

Hi JoAnn,
    I was having a lot of fluid retention around my ankles, and now all that fluid is gone. I'm convinced that the sauna sweated it out of me.
    Starla

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

It is good to start out slow when you get your sauna.  The Rheumatologist who recommended that we buy our sauna two years ago has many patients using sauna, many of them will herx from the die off.  So go slow.  I use the sauna, but not regularly enough and I usually will experience a herx if I stay too long after not having done it for awhile.

Cheryl

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

I just purchased one and it is on its way.  My doctor warned me to start our 15 mins once a week.  She held me off from getting one for a year because I was so toxic she said I could end up in the ER or the psych ward. 

I'm excited because everyone always seems to get such good results.  I have been watching and learning for 3 yrs now.

casey
    Participant

Hi All,

Anyone know if infrared saunas can be used on lupus patients or know of any lupus patients using one?

Thanks,

Casey

JBJBJB
    Participant

I got one from AMAZON for $100 less, portable one. It works really well…. uses less electricity comparing to the box one. It takes about 10-20 minutes to heat up. How many heaters in your sauna? If you have two heaters, it would cost more.

Kim
    Participant

[user=9]casey[/user] wrote:

Anyone know if infrared saunas can be used on lupus patients or know of any lupus patients using one?

Casey,

If you do a search on infrared sauna + lupus, you'll read pros and cons.  Some lupus patients say they have had great relief and others caution against raising your core temp.  Are there any wellness spas around you where you could try one and see how it goes?  I definitely wouldn't use a steam sauna though if I were you.

kim

Kim
    Participant

[user=86]Susan Lyme/RA[/user] wrote:

I just purchased one and it is on its way.  My doctor warned me to start our 15 mins once a week.  She held me off from getting one for a year because I was so toxic she said I could end up in the ER or the psych ward. 

I'm excited because everyone always seems to get such good results.  I have been watching and learning for 3 yrs now.

Susan,

I'll be anxious for your feedback because I too had a heavy metal load when I started and felt awful when I first started moving them out.  All of that is better.  I can sweat like a sailor now! 😀 

There is also such satisfaction knowing the bugs hate the heat!

kim

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Hi Kim,

I will be sure to post.  I'm counting on the bugs hating the heat too and hopefully my metal toxicity is well under control.

Susan

JOJO19551
    Participant

Starla, Thanks for telling me about the swelling.  I have the same problem and HATE it.  This gives me some hope that I can have normal legs again.  Thanks, JoAnn

casey
    Participant

Thanks Kim,

I have read about the pros and cons but was just wondering if anyone here with lupus or anyone has heard of anyone with lupus using one. The infrared is my concern because infrared is light and people with lupus are usually photosensitive. Makes me wonder about a “D” connection. 

There is not much out there on these saunas and illness. Most sites talk about detox with saunas but not much is mentioned about disease and saunas. Though again, not much is ever mentioned about infection and abx in these diseases on “traditional” sites . I am going to check into a spa but i am not sure if there is one around.

I did ask my AP doc about infrared saunas and this doc has one in her office ( too far for me to go try) but she did say that some docs are now concerned about radiation with them. She is not sure about this and me ..well.. i have no idea.

Thanks for the info Kim and is it possible that if any of you who uses one keeps an ear out for lupus patients using them  .

Thanks,

Casey

Mumof3
    Participant

We recently purchased a sauna (a wooden one) as well. I now try and use it every other day. I usually stay in there between 40-60 minutes. When I first started using one at the chiropractor's clinic, I went 3 times a week for 20 minutes. I seem to sweat a lot more and sweat much quicker in the portable one.

I am noticing that my circulation in my hands and feet has been great since I started in the sauna. It has also helped me with my muscle and joint pain.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘ infrared sauna use’ is closed to new replies.