Home Forums General Discussion Inflammation and Iron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Donna RA
    Participant

Now that my ESR is in the normal range, my RF is down from 550 to 182, my Iron has dropped to 28.  My Doc says once inflammation is down, he sees this happen with many of those with RA, that the inflammation hides the Iron deficiency.  He wants to see my Iron levels reach 150.  So now, I've begun IV's of iron, and we'll test again after 4 IV's.  Anyone take Iron via IV, if so, was it successful? 

Thanks for any feedback.

Donna RA

Trudi
    Participant

[user=41]Donna RA[/user] wrote:

He wants to see my Iron levels reach 150. 

Do you mean ferritin levels?

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Donna RA
    Participant

Yes, that is what I mean. 

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Donna–

Ferritin levels are either a sign of inflammation or hemochromatosis.  My ferritin levels in 2003, prior to problems with my joints, was 11.  The reference range (depending on labs) is between 10-160 ng/mL to 232 ng/mL (Quest lab).  When I saw my LLMD the first time, 10/08, my levels were 266.  My doctor ordered phlebotomies, but I couldn't because my hematocrit was too low.  Thankfully, my levels dropped to 123 in January.  My LLMD wants to see them down to 20. 

Because there is a history of hemochromatosis in my family, I watch my numbers very carefully.  I even did a paper on it in college.  Excess iron causes joint pain–one of the first symptoms.  Quite frankly, I would really question your doctor on this one.

Take care,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Donna RA
    Participant

Trudi,

Thanks for your input, I guess I have some reading to do.  I never had this problem previously, and I am somewhat confused. 

Donna RA

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Donna–

I thought some more on this.  I also have had FE (Iron) tests done; those numbers have a reference range of 60-165.  Perhaps your doctor meant this test??  I've had some very low numbers (31) back in '05 but was never asked to take additional iron.

Just some thoughts–

Trudi

m.
    Participant

My MD runs periodic checks on CBC, plus Serum Iron and Ferritin.

We've haven't talked absolute numbers, as in we want to see iron at a certain number, or ferritin at a certain number. I believe he's looking at the big picture. Am I still anemic? What does the ferritin level look like in relation to the serum iron, etc.

I was told that in the presence of infection, your body will take iron out of circulation (lowering serum iron) and store it as ferritin, in order to starve the microbes.

On my last labs, it shows a serum iron range of 35-155 for normal, and a ferritin range of 10-291 for normal.

I'm not sure why your MD feels IVs of iron are necessary, and why, with such a large range for normal, he feels a particular number (150) is a desired target.

Second opinion?

Donna RA
    Participant

M and Trudi,

Thanks for your insight on this subject.  I don't have a copy of the report, but I intend to ask for it.  I believed that the iron and ferritin were one in the same.  Now I understand a little more that they are 2 different readings. 

Donna RA 😉

Kim
    Participant

Not pleasant to think about, but parasites love iron. :sick:  I always test anemic.

This is a commercial link, but has some good info:

http://www.appliedozone.com/parasites.html

Trudi
    Participant

[user=40]Kim[/user] wrote:

Not pleasant to think about, but parasites love iron. :sick:  I always test anemic.

Bacteria love iron, too!!  Ditto to testing anemic :(!

Trudi

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘ Inflammation and Iron’ is closed to new replies.