Home Forums General Discussion INFed transfusion for Anemia (Iron Dextrose Complex)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    caroline
    Participant

I am considering & will speak with my rheumy after my hemotologist OK'd for relief from chronic intermittent anemia.  Relief can last for 3 -15 months & restore energy levels if a patient's body accepts the treatment.  If anyone here has used US brands such as dexferrum or INFed successfully, without side effects, I would appreciate a response.

However, the Merck Manual lists possible side effect for RA patients of joint pain & swelling as a risk.  My hemotologist has no experience in using the infusion (IVdrip into the vein) with seronegative arthritis or RSD sufferers. (I am both but presently in remission due to Plaquenil generic & minocin).  Have had a number of other tests to determine cause but none was ever found. Have had this since I was a child.

Am cautious at the moment, of course, oral iron is an option . I know someone else who experienced great improvement over chronic anemia with this treatment.

Thanks,

Caroline

A Friend
    Participant

Hello Caroline,

I've found an interesting paper on helps for anemia, and was about to post it to a “New Topic,” and decided to first do a search to see if there was an active thread on this subject when I found your post.  Sorry, but I had not seen it before.  Hope this will be helpful to you. 

For a number of years now, I've read that we with rheumatic diagnoses should probably not take iron supplements because iron has been found to “feed” the unfriendly organisms that are helping to do us in.  There are some things that have been shown to increase our iron without taking iron supplements, and without dramatic medical treatments as you described.  Some of the reading I've done on anemia and AP has shown that as AP treatment progresses, anemia can improve because of the decrease in these unfriendly organisms. 

Also, hope you are doing much better by now. 

http://www.jklcompany.com/anemia.html

ANEMIA SOLUTIONS

by Joseph Patrick Jakubal

Best,

AF
    🙂

Trudi
    Participant

A Friend–

Thanks for this useful link!!

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

A Friend
    Participant

Trudi, you are very welcome.  Hope this site helps you. 

A number of years ago, my own grown daughter at the time was shown on lab tests to have a degree of anemia, and iron RX was being proposed.  I'd already seen the caution about our taking RX iron.  Because she was my daughter, I thought: “Why tempt fate?” (though she was healthy at the time, but under a lot of stress with business and multiple children). 

Anyway, it was at that time that I did a pretty thorough search for alternative ways to build iron.  I somewhat recall that she used a product called Floradix-something (I can find it if you want to know) from the health store.  Also, she learned about molasses.  If organic blackstrap molasses is purchased from the health store, it contains a very high level of minerals and is very alkaline.  Also, perhaps a good way to consume this once or twice a day for a time, is like a coffee substitute, with one tablespoon of the blackstrap molasses used in a cup of hot water.  If one likes cream/milk in coffee, then an alternative milk product I really like is almond milk (it comes in a carton at the health store, and it also tastes very good over cereals, etc.). 

Good luck to you,

AF

Trudi
    Participant

A Friend–

My doctor currently has me on Ferrofood by Standard Process:

http://www.standardprocess.com/display/StandardProcessCatalog.spi?ID=74

The article you sent has a ton of suggestions; I've bookmarked it and will refer to it.  The blackstrap molasses is also mentioned; I've got regular dark molasses, but I'm guessing they're not the same.

How long did it take for your daughter to overcome the anemia?

Thanks for your input,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

A Friend
    Participant

[user=442]Trudi[/user] wrote:

…My doctor currently has me on Ferrofood by Standard Process:

http://www.standardprocess.com/display/StandardProcessCatalog.spi?ID=74

The article you sent has a ton of suggestions; I've bookmarked it and will refer to it.  The blackstrap molasses is also mentioned; I've got regular dark molasses, but I'm guessing they're not the same.

How long did it take for your daughter to overcome the anemia?

Thanks for your input,…Trudi

Trudi,

Thanks so much for the Standard process link.  That is such a good company, IMHO.

Because of the way molasses is processed, I'd go with the organic blackstrap molasses, and I'm pretty sure the blackstrap is the one that's recommended.  I can't say how long it took my daughter to improve her anemia, but probably her physician retested in 6 months or so; and she never was encourage to try the RX again, to my knowledge anyway.   At any rate, it was a learning thing for her, too. 

Prior to the anemia, a physician had recommended she have surgery for carpal Tunnel syndrome.  That was a number of years before the anemia thing.  Her and my first adventure in “finding another way” for her:  Just happened I'd read about Dr. Marion Ellis' research at UT along with a researcher there, who have cured many of his patients' carpal tunnel with a simple, inexpensive B-vitamin regimen.  I had her read the book, and she tried using his protocols.  It worked, and she never had to have the surgery. 

After all of the above, and my own experiences, I try thinking/looking out of the box a bit for anything very serious. 

AF

Trudi
    Participant

A Friend–

I am going to pass your post on to a friend.  She is having problems with carpal tunnel–can't even curl her hair without her fingers getting numb.  Thank you!

Standard Process is a good company; I don't know if you are aware, but they are located in Palmyra, WI; the company that my husband works for fixes their garage doors; the reason why I'm telling you this, is that the servicman who does the work always comments that the entire plant is so clean, doesn't matter where you are, you could eat off the floor!! 

Take care,

Trudi

A Friend
    Participant

[user=442]Trudi[/user] wrote:

A Friend–

I am going to pass your post on to a friend.  She is having problems with carpal tunnel–can't even curl her hair without her fingers getting numb.  Thank you!

Standard Process is a good company; I don't know if you are aware, but they are located in Palmyra, WI; the company that my husband works for fixes their garage doors; the reason why I'm telling you this, is that the servicman who does the work always comments that the entire plant is so clean, doesn't matter where you are, you could eat off the floor!! 

Take care,

Trudi

Trudi,

The book sometimes shows it is out of print, so I thought I'd give you an assist and try to locate it.  (I've got to prepare dinner now, but found several good sites immediately… which surprised me, as I hadn't seen Dr. Ellis' work on these before).

http://www.choosetobehealthy.com/chris-barr-vitamin-t-55.html  

http://www.garynull.com/documents/arthritis/carpal_tunnel_syndrome.htm

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/10/20.cfm

More later,
    AF

louris
    Participant

I'd recommend unsulphured, organic, blackstrap molasses to ensure the maximum mineral content.  You can usually find a good product at your health food store.  However, I have found the Brer Rabbit Purple Label Blackstrap molasses (unsulphured) in some large supermarkets (I can't seem to find it down here in Georgia and am guessing that they don't distribute to all 48 contiguous states).  I was really pleased with this molasses.  The only reason I might recommend avoiding blackstrap molasses is if you have a yeast/fungal issue (due to the sugar content).

The Floradix Iron & Herbs product is fantastic.  I've used the liquid form.  It is non-toxic and very effective.  However, I perceive it, based on suffering from severe anemia at one juncture, to be most helpful for mild anemia.  If you are considering iron infusions, I'd guess that your anemia might be pretty pronounced???

I, too, agree with your comments on Standard Process.  A chiro had me on their Cardio Plus and Biost products at one point in time.  The are fantastic!

Trudi
    Participant

A Friend–

Thanks for the information.  I, too, checked online and there was a ton of information regarding Dr. Ellis and Vit B for carpal tunnel.  I have already passed on all the information to my friend.

Louris–

The Floradix Iron & Herbs product is fantastic.  I've used the liquid form.  It is non-toxic and very effective.  However, I perceive it, based on suffering from severe anemia at one juncture, to be most helpful for mild anemia.  If you are considering iron infusions, I'd guess that your anemia might be pretty pronounced???

I will have to check into this product and mention it to my doctor.  I am not considering iron infusions, Caroline, who started this thread, is.

Thanks for your help,

Trudi

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘ INFed transfusion for Anemia (Iron Dextrose Complex)’ is closed to new replies.