Home Forums General Discussion Individual's Diet Can Make a Big Difference in Recovery

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    A Friend
    Participant

Some of us arrive at states of chronic illness (after being healthy all our lives) and have little (or no) knowledge of how our food choices may have led to the chronic illness state — or may play a part in delaying our recovery. 

Added to this problem is that some of our treating physicians give us a “green light” to eat anything we like while on AP.  Few of us, I believe, will be able to make much progress unless we do reign-in eating the worst foods for us (especially those conducive to yeast overgrowth). 

Dr. Sherry Rogers (with 5 medical degrees, including environmental physician), in some of her books (http://www.prestigepublishing.com — not found in most book stores) , has described her own illness battles and how she finally found the nightshade vegetables were a big trigger for her and and caused onset of excruciating pain (sometimes delayed) for days after consuming these, before she became aware of this. 

There are many other physicians and healthcare professionals who include a focus on allergies and sensitivities of their patients in their treatment plans for them. 

When we become chronically ill when we are younger, we have more body reserves to compensate for bad choices in areas of food, medications… even for stresses in our lives which translate into more harmful acids inside our bodies.  Eventually we can run out of reserves, and acidic wastes have been stored in our bodies because they could not be excreted.  Our body gives us signals when something is amiss.  If possible, I believe we need to find out the “CAUSE” of our body's signals to us. 

From a very respected AP physician in Texas, we learned how chronically ill patients can have a “Celiac Syndrome” because of damage to the gastrointestinal system.  This syndrome is not because of true Celiac Disease, the inherited type, but nevertheless a syndrome that mimics the disease.  When the gut is compromised and good digestion is not possible, all manner of unfriendly organisms can thrive in this syndrome state.  Eating as if we have true Celiac has proven helpful to many.   

The following is a copied/pasted post that may be helpful to those who don't already know about “eating right for your blood type.”  On hindsight, I wish I'd known about its importance to me years ago. 

Hello Everyone,
    Many of you may already be aware of information about the influence of various foods on your blood type.  If you are new to this online Group, you may not.  If you don't know your blood type, kits are available for testing — have just learned [a local health store] has these, and probably other places as well.   For a number of years after hearing about this subject, I paid little to no attention to it and my problems, thinking I was adhering to a good diet for me.  It was only in the last year or so that I learned about the big impact on my own health that eating certain foods not good for blood type A's were adding to my body's burden — the burden of trying to keep my (acid/alkaline) pH in balance, which it was not able to do .  If you're interested in knowing more about this subject, you might want to read the following links:

A shortened link: [the tiny url may not work on this Board]
    http://tinyurl.com/4o52hk
    can be used instead of this longer link to access an article on blood type diet found on ArthritisTrust.org:
    http://www.arthritistrust.org/Articles/BloodType%20&%20It's%20Influence%20on%20Diet/index.htm 

Blood Type and Its Influence on Getting Well
    by Gregory Kelly, ND

[Dr. d'Adamo's web site is:  http://www.dadamo.com  Dr. D'Adamo is the author of the Eat Right for Your Blood Type books.  This has a neat feature that assembles recipes for a particular blood type together.]

mkjuz
    Participant

Thank you – Thank you- Thank you! 🙂

Donna RA
    Participant

Hello A Friend,

After reading some of this great information, and not having read the blood type book, do you know what he means when he refers to a secretor, or non secretor? 

Thanks,

Donna RA 

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Thank you AFriend,

Diet change remains the change that has made the most difference in my levels of pain and inflammation.  Other things added to my wellness, but diet change was the core and most important thing.

I never completely followed the Blood Type Diet but I did look at the diet for Type A which is my type and noted it is a mostly vegetarian diet.   A vegan diet is what brought my most significant improvement and especially eating fresh fruits and vegetables. 

Only recently did I have a DetoxiGenomic Profile which is a gene test looking specifically at my body's ability to detox.  It is very poor and this is not good for sustaining a long life.

So, we are now artificially detoxing me and my doctor told me to be completely vegetarian for the next 4 to 6 mths. 

Interestingly, the lab summary instructs me to eat cruciferous vegetables because cruciferous vegetables aid the body in the production of glutathione.  Glutathione, for those who do not know, is the key substance our bodies produce to aid the liver in detox.  It is found in every cell of our body but mostly concentrated in the liver and the lungs.  The liver and lungs are two of the body's elimination organs.  The kidneys, lymphatic system and skin are the other organs.

Research has found that people with long healthy lives have higher levels of glutathione than people with chronic illness. 

So, I now have an official test that explains why changing to a vegetarian diet is important for me. 

Also, food allergy bloodtest revealed foods I should avoid like milk and soy protein.  Avoiding my allergic foods prevents most all inflammation for me.

I know that Dr A'adamo shows some blood types do better on a meat diet.  It is a great explanation why some do better on one type diet and some do better on another type.

Susan

A Friend
    Participant

Donna wrote:  After reading some of this great information, and not having read the blood type book, do you know what he means when he refers to a secretor, or non secretor?  Thanks, Donna RA 

Donna,

I didn't know the difference between the two until you asked this question, but was prompted to find out.  A search found this link with an explanation:

http://www.right4eu.us/secretor.html

AF

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Well, that was interesting.

What you want to bet all of us are non-secretors?

Susan

A Friend
    Participant

Susan wrote:  Well, that was interesting.  What you want to bet all of us are non-secretors?

Susan,

I'll bet we are, too.  That 20% versus 80% sounds like us, doesn't it?

AF

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Friend;

I have done a lot of reading up on this also.Funny thing is that I am sort of a cross of Carb and protein and  I definately do not function well on a vegetarian diet.Sort of like a baloon that is slowly deflating.I just love veggies and could only eat them if I had my way but would end up in bed just sleeping my days away.Strangely I do not like fruit and never have so I end up forcing myself to eat some while trying not to gag. hehehe.Despite being a protein/carb type most of the foods I cannot eat are in these catigories ,strange as that may sound.All legumes(peas,bean,lentils etc)eggs,nuts,fish,beef and lamb are on the taboo list.Most carbs are out except for rice,sweet potatoes and avocadoes and just finding something interesting to eat is an all day challenge as there are just so many combinations one can do without going totally insane.This situation is making me think that eating right for blood type might not always hold true

A Friend
    Participant

Lynne wrote:  I have done a lot of reading up on this also. Funny thing is that I am sort of a cross of Carb and protein and  I definately do not function well on a vegetarian diet.

AF responds:  Lynne, I'm not sure if I'm understanding your dietary problems.  What blood type are you?   I'm Blood Type A and listed for this type as Highly Beneficial are some types of fish.  Other sources of flesh protein are some fowl, and a good many sources of vegetable protein.  Not all of these are Highly Beneficial (work like medicine in the body); some are Neutral.  It's the Avoid foods I now try to stay away from. 

Lynne wrote:  Sort of like a baloon that is slowly deflating.  I just love veggies and could only eat them if I had my way but would end up in bed just sleeping my days away. Strangely I do not like fruit and never have so I end up forcing myself to eat some while trying not to gag. hehehe.  Despite being a protein/carb type most of the foods I cannot eat are in these catigories ,strange as that may sound.  All legumes(peas,bean,lentils etc)eggs,nuts,fish,beef and lamb are on the taboo list.Most carbs are out except for rice,sweet potatoes and avocadoes and just finding something interesting to eat is an all day challenge as there are just so many combinations one can do without going totally insane.This situation is making me think that eating right for blood type might not always hold true.

AF inquires:  I'm sure there are exceptions and might not always hold true.  Why can you not eat peas, beans, lentils, etc.?  (I still don't know what Blood Type you are.) The main thing I learned from the author's writing on this subject was that as a Blood Type A, I naturally have lower HCL, and lack it for breaking down meat protein.  With the advanced problems I've developed over the years, I knew I could not continue eating meat and not being able to break down the proteins, as this was continuing to flood my body with acidic wastes from undigested protein.  Other than eliminating the meats that I should avoid, I also try to pay attention to other foods in the “Avoid” categories.  It takes a bit of learning and getting used to, but seems to be working well for me.

Lynne, about the above which you've written, how did you determine what you have written about your food problems?  Was it from allergy testing or what?  You say you are a “protein/carb type”; is this Blood Type O?  I'm afraid I'm not understanding your dietary dilemma.  Even with the Blood Type info to be used as a guide, I'm sure we as individuals can have sensitivities, allergies, and such — and nothing is absolute.  I find if I do a bit of planning ahead, and have some good choices onhand, it works better for me.  Changing old habits and patterns takes some getting used to, but “the writing was on the wall” for me… to get rid of the pain syndromes required some new knowledge and some work. 

AF

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ Individual's Diet Can Make a Big Difference in Recovery’ is closed to new replies.