Home Forums General Discussion Igenex difference

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    hopefull
    Participant

I'm trying to get a handle on the main difference between Igenex lab
    and “regular” standard labs that non-literate MDs use.My sister had an
    ELISA and then the Western Blot.Does that mean they didn't go on and test
    for co-infections?Thanks,Kathy

RA dx'd 2001
    Cimzia inj X2 mthly
    Prednisone
    considering AP again

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=110]hopefull[/user] wrote:

I'm trying to get a handle on the main difference between Igenex lab
    and “regular” standard labs that non-literate MDs use.My sister had an
    ELISA and then the Western Blot.Does that mean they didn't go on and test
    for co-infections?

Hi Kathy,

Your sis was very fortunate to test positive on standard tests for Lyme 🙂 – it's estimated that only 50% or less of people do!

The following links explain the difference between standard Lyme tests and more sensitive testing, like IGeneX labs:

http://www.rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=3698&forum_id=1&highlight=lyme+testing+kim+maz

http://www.lymenet.de/labtests/brenner.htm

Yes, if your sister only had ELISA and Western Blot, this only tested for antibodies to the Lyme spirochete…borrelia burgdoreferi aka Bb (the correct name for the actual infection is called borreliosis)… she would not have been tested for coinfections, like babesiosis, bartonella, erhlichiosis, anaplasmosis, and all the other tickborne coinfections. These require specific tests of their own. Unfortunately, these tests are just as notoriously bad, which is why Lyme docs will diagnose coinfections using clinical judgment. This is because it is far safer to treat prophylactically than to leave coinfections untreated.

Ticks feed off of a number of animals during their 2 year life span, often before attaching for their blood meal on a human. So they pick up and transmit to us anything they have collected along the way.

Hope this helps?

Peace, Maz

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘ Igenex difference’ is closed to new replies.