Home Forums General Discussion I Spoke with Dr S in Iowa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Devie
    Participant

we spoke for a full half hour….thank you Wendi for the push!

He felt that because of the early stages of my RA, the fact that it is fairly mild, that I have not had heavy RA drugs, and that the AP seems to be working- that stressing over money to go see him is completely unnecessary.  He said that he doubted highly that I would be a candidate for IV's.

He did tell me that starting tomorrow I should double the dose of the mino to 200 mg/ M, W & F.

He said the Advil I take is no big deal.  He asked me to call him in 6 weeks, or before, if necessary and we will take it from there.

He is a pleasure to talk to and I felt so blessed to have his attention for a few minutes.

he said that he does not worry about yeast, that it really is a minority of folks that have a problem with it but to take the probiotics.  I asked him about zithromax or flagyl and he said no need; not at all at this point!

I am going to get some grape seed extract and some NAC 600 mg- just to see if it helps with any inflammation. 

I could not wait to share this with all of you.

You are my inspirations!

Devie

richie
    Participant

Hi

Havent seen where grape seed extract and NAC act as anti-inflammatories –rather as anti-oxidants or blood thinners etc didnt see, anything about anti inflammatory

richie

marg
    Participant

Devie, this is SO good. You have to feel confident that you are now “under a good doctor's care”. I'm glad for you!

Fran
    Participant

Devie-  that's great that you could talk with Dr. S.  He's helped me immensely!  Did you mean grapefruit seed extract or grapeseed extract?  If you meant grapefruit seed extract

Grapefruitseed extract has antibiotic properties.  I recently started taking it as I'm off the regular antibiotics.  I don't know what NAC is.  Other supplements with antibiotic properties are garlic cloves, olive leaf extract and oregano oil.  I've done the garlic cloves (swallowed whole) and the oregano oil in addition to the grapefruit seed extract.

Devie
    Participant

The doctor that was on the live chat last Thursday suggested grapeseed extract and a supplement called NAC 600 mg for inflammation.  When I googled the, they did talk about anti-inflammatory properties.  It may have been grapefruit seed extract though- I will double check.  I wouldnt want to get the wrong fruit!

Dev

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=16]richie[/user] wrote:

Havent seen where grape seed extract and NAC act as anti-inflammatories –rather as anti-oxidants or blood thinners etc didnt see, anything about anti inflammatory

Hi Richie,

On the Dr S (TN) chat the other night on rheumaticsupport.net, he suggested the following for inflammation:

“For inflammation: minocin, grapeseed extract, NAC (600mg), lipoic acid.”

As I understand it, blood tends to be 'thicker' when there is a lot of inflammation.

Grapeseed extract has a number of actions, including anti-0xidative and anti-inflammatory benefits:

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/alt/grapeseed_faq.htm

“Grapeseed extract is thought to neutralize free radicals (anti-oxidant), reduce inflammation, stabilize collagen and elastin, act as a natural antihistamine, and protect and heal connective tissue. It acts against oxidative stress and tissue damage and has demonstrated itself to offer better protection than either vitamins C or E. It's anti-inflammatory action is thought to be derived form it's ability to inhibit the release of histamines and prostaglandin.”

NAC is otherwise known as N-Acetyl-Cysteine. All of the above have some action on reducing inflammation and swelling. Just found loads of info on the web by typing in supplement name and “inflammation.”

I guess Dr S has had success with these to recommend them.

So happy for you, Devie, that you're making some headway and feel like you're “on the road back” now that you've had a chance to get some answers to your concerns from Dr S!!!  YAY! :roll-laugh:

Peace, Maz

Maz
    Keymaster

PS Here's a study summary on the anti-inflammatory properties of NAC. There is also a lot of info on rheumaticsupport.net about this supplement, which is a precursor to glutiathone

http://www.erj.ersjournals.com/cgi/content/abstract/30/3/436

Further, a website on the role of lipoic acid in fighting inflammation and artherosclerosis.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/ss03/lipoicacid.html

There's a lot more out there, though….these were just the first ones I came across.

Peace, Maz

Pip
    Participant

Hi Devie!

OK, different thread but “WHAT EMAIL”???

Hugs,

Pip

richie
    Participant

Hi

Now I am a bit confused —Is NAC lipoaic acid thought is was N–Acetyl Cystine —I still dont see where glutathione is an anti-inflammatory -I read that its an anti-oxidant and detoxifier  not an anti–inflammatory —

Richie

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=16]richie[/user] wrote:

Now I am a bit confused —Is NAC lipoaic acid thought is was N–Acetyl Cystine —I still dont see where glutathione is an anti-inflammatory -I read that its an anti-oxidant and detoxifier  not an anti–inflammatory —

Hi Richie,

Yup…NAC and lipoic acid are two different things.

NAC is short for N-Acetyl-Cysteine, as you thought.

NAC is a precursor to (used to manufacture) glutiathone, which is the liver's natural antioxidant, but seems that NAC has its own anti-inflammatory properties, too.

Wiki has some more info on this…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutathione

“Glutathione . Glutathione precursors rich in cysteine include Acetylcysteine (NAC),[11][/suP] undenatured whey protein [12][/suP], [13][/suP], [14][/suP], [15][/suP], [16][/suP], [17][/suP], [18][/suP], [19][/suP]and N-acetyl-cysteine [20][/suP] have been shown to increase glutathione content within the cell. N-acetylcysteine is a generically available supplement which has been demonstrated to increase intracellular reduced and total glutathione by 92% and 58% respectively.”

Apparently, antioxidants have the ability break down free radicals, which lead to oxidative stress on the body and inflammation. From Life Extension Magazine:

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag2005/aug2005_report_antiox_01.htm

“Things have been ratcheted up in the antioxidant world with new research showing that some antioxidants have powerful anti- inflammatory action. Although inflammation involves free radicals, it?s somewhat more complicated, involving the activation and inactivation of genes as well. Some antioxidants also block inflammation in addition to having radical-scavenging effects.”

I would think moderation in supplementation is probably key, as too much of a good thing is bad, too.

Peace, Maz

richie
    Participant

Hi

Thx

r

suera
    Participant

Does this doctor actually talk to people that aren't even his patients?:shock:

My doc won't EVER take  a phone call!!!:angry:

Can someone pm me  his  name and number and is there specifics about phone calls?

Thanks,

Sue

Jennhere
    Participant

There are still good people in this world.  He does the phone consult- free of charge??

Jenn

JBJBJB
    Participant

Dr. S is one of a few good man on this planet. His consulting is free.  He said even though he is about to retire, he will still help people with AP for as long as he can. He just wants to help people. He is a true hero.

Jennhere
    Participant

Maybe he could become a regular here after he retires.

Jenn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘ I Spoke with Dr S in Iowa’ is closed to new replies.