Home Forums General Discussion I made a HUGE MISTAKE and now I can't undo it

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    stephinpgh
    Participant

I wanted to switch from minocin to doxy and zithromax, as I've been in flare-up since Dec/Jan; minocin worked well for 6 yrs prior to this.  I asked my PCP to write me a different prescription, as she has written the minocin prescription up till now.  She went ballistic; lectured me for 20 minutes about how she should have never gone along with this foolishness, and I'd better make an appt with a rheumatologist asap.  She is now refusing to write any more prescriptions for minocin or any other antibiotic.  I called the one and only AP doctor in western PA, Dr G in Wexford, PA.   Because I am a new patient, I will have to wait until September.  I am really screwed, but I guess I did this to myself….I could have left well enough alone, but the minocin didn't seem to be working anymore.  I have about 1 1/2 months of minocin left, then nothing.  I can't go until Sept with nothing.  I guess I have been backed into a corner as far as going to rheumy, unless someone has a suggestion that I am just too upset to think of myself……

Jennhere
    Participant

Can you go to another PCP?  I mean, you're not asking for a class of “drug” that's questionable.  It all sounds very over the top.  They give mino to teens for acne at twice the dose.  It's hardly a request to go “ballistic” over.  I live in a small town and there are at least a dozen PCP's to choose from.  I've see them all.  I didn't quit any because they refused me mino (I don't think any of them said they WOULDN'T give it to me, though some scoffed quite rudely at the idea that mino could take away my joint pain.) I 'fired' most of my docs because they questioned my pain due to lack of positive test results… yes- no positive test results for RA or anything, yet all were willing to prescribe me mino.  I only stuck with my current doctor… probably because she actually READ the literature I gave her.   She was the only one with a small enough ego to actually READ the stuff..:?

So, I'm thinking you could even go to your Gyn and get mino.  I fill my scripts at buylowdrugs.com and get the namebrand.  I think the way your doc behaved is really irrational and you're better off without her.  Seriously.

Jenn

Suzanne
    Participant

[user=327]stephinpgh[/user] wrote:

I She went ballistic; lectured me for 20 minutes about how she should have never gone along with this foolishness, and I'd better make an appt with a rheumatologist asap.  She is now refusing to write any more prescriptions for minocin or any other antibiotic. 

Um, what kind of dr. writes an rx for SIX YEARS, but calls it 'foolishness'????  You are better off now…..in all areas of your health, right?

I'd call the new drs. office and explain what happened.  Maybe they can help you out, or recommend someone else in your area in the meantime.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

I called the one and only AP doctor in western PA, Dr G in Wexford, PA.  

There is another doctor on the PA list in Wexford, did you get that name? Did you learn that they are not doing AP?  Please let us know so we can update the doctors list.

Thanks!

Cheryl Ferguson

dianaw
    Participant

call Dr. S in Iowa- tell him your situation- he may call a rx in for you.

stephinpgh
    Participant

Diana, thank you for the suggestion, he would be a rare gem of a doctor if he would be willing to do that;   I thank everyone for their replies.   I think that my PCP was willing to go along with what she considered foolish as long as my symptoms stayed in remission; but now, they're not.  During her rant, she did say something like, she would be guilty of malpractice if she did not insist that I go to a rheumy.  I think she does believe that she has my best interest at heart, but I don't think I can continue to be her patient after this.   I might try to find a new PCP on short notice and pray that they will be open-minded;  if I called my gyny and asked for doxy and zithromax, and she would say, what for?  um, my rheumatoid arthritis……I'm afraid I would get pretty much the same reaction. 

Joe M
    Participant

Any chance the rheumy would prescribe the antibiotics?

Elijuh
    Participant

I would try the rheumy or pretty much anyone.  I think most pcp's would help out.  You didn't do anything wrong, Steph.  The doc did.  You don't go ballistic on a patient who is trying their best.  You weren't being non-compliant.  You were just trying an excepted drug therapy for a diagnosed disease. Let me repeat that.  You were trying an excepted drug therapy for a diagnosed disease.  End of story.  You are better off without her. Definitely. You may want to try to pulse your antibiotics until you can find another doc.  Good Luck and hang in there.  Way to go, actually.

Blessings!!!

eli

Maz
    Keymaster

During her rant, she did say something like, she would be guilty of malpractice if she did not insist that I go to a rheumy.  I think she does believe that she has my best interest at heart, but I don't think I can continue to be her patient after this.   I might try to find a new PCP on short notice and pray that they will be open-minded; 

Hi Steph…yeah, that sounds like a good option to try. I tend to agree with Eli…when docs get their knickers in a knot like that it's usually because they're in fear about repercussions. It's kind of like the “syndrome” Doc Brown described in The Road Back….the rheumies who try everything they know and then, when things start going awry and they've used up their full artillery, they get spooked and hand the patient back to their PCP, saying the patient just can't take their drugs. They don't want to handle the “problem patients”…just too scary. Can kind of understand it in a way, especially in the litigious climate in which we live, though I have heard of one patient offering to sign waivers with their doc in order to get AP, too. I guess if they feel they don't have to bear the burden of responsibility and it's formally recognized as “patient choice”, then they might even relax a bit… and pull their knickers back up. :roll-laugh: Anyway, do wish you well with getting your supply of mino in the interim before your new AP doc appt. Where there's a will there is usually a way.

Peace, Maz

Todula
    Participant

Tell your pcp the rheumy can't see you til sept. and ask her to prescribe enough til then?

Loria Chaddon
    Participant

Try finding a good ANP in town or nearby.  They can write prescriptions, and are often easier to get along with than doctors.  (Not quite so much of an ego problem, as they are nurses)

Good luck

Loria

sfsorrels
    Participant

Where are you in Western Pennsylvania?  There's an excellent Lyme doctor near Pittsburgh who might be able to see you sooner.  Because LLMDs test for all types of infections–and not just Lyme–he might be able to help you, and he definitely treats with abx.  If you'd like his information, just let me know.

Sandra

in Eastern Pennsylvania

Anonymous
    Participant

I think I read on this board where someone bought their medication online from Canada? Just a thought. lindak

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘ I made a HUGE MISTAKE and now I can't undo it’ is closed to new replies.