Home Forums General Discussion I knew that Lyme and AI Disease were connected but holy cow…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    mommaof2princesses
    Participant

An interesting read. I heard from a friend that mycoplasma is commonly found in Lyme patients and came across this article that I thought might be of interest to all of you…

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/73982.php

maz.aust
    Participant

Not wrong – a very interesting read…. Would explain a lot wouldn't it!

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

I am in the process of looking into Lyme myself, I have believed that they were connected but it almost seems like it is just one viscious beast instead of seperate conditions… 

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

It also makes sense when you hear of some people on AP plateauing perhaps they have a ifferent strain of bacter ia other than myco that needs to be dealt with such as lyme…hopefully people on the lyme sites are bing informed that if they aren't feeling any better they might need to be treated for mycoplasma!!

Maz
    Keymaster

Momma, great article and thanks for sharing. 😀 What is exciting about this is that Eva Sapi will be attending the Physicians Round Table in NC in just under two weeks. Road Back will be in attendence and making connections with researchers of this calibre will be wonderful for Road Back. Here is the UNH Lyme site and there is a little video at the bottom you can click on to watch Ms Sapi being interviewed:

http://www.unh-lyme.org/

Mycoplasma fermentens is one such myco species that has been linked with Lyme, which is one mode of transmission. Here is a link to research that was conducted on M fermentens and RA:

http://rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=2090&forum_id=1

Were you able to catch the last eBulletin, which had quite a bit of Lyme coverage and an article on the systemic sclero and Lyme connection?

https://www.roadback.org/EmailBlasts/ebulletin_fall08.html

Peace, Maz

mommaof2princesses
    Participant

As always Maz, thanks for the info that bulletin was extremely interesting!!!! That is amazing that she had symptoms of SD and tested positive for Lyme. I am most definitely getting tested ASAP!!!

Kim
    Participant

[user=944]mommaof2princesses[/user] wrote:

As always Maz, thanks for the info that bulletin was extremely interesting!!!! That is amazing that she had symptoms of SD and tested positive for Lyme. I am most definitely getting tested ASAP!!!

That's exactly what happened to me.  My Lyme infection came first (didn't know it at the time) and then I got SD, RA, and all the rest.  Now that I'm treating Lyme some of the persistent areas of thickened skin are returning to normal.  All of the SD symptoms got much better on Mino alone, but plateaued until Lyme treatment.

My LLMD says Lyme can mimic or cause ANY disease.  As much damage as this disease can cause, it only makes sense for anyone with undiagnosed weird symptoms to be tested for Lyme………..Linda, Linda, Linda! 😉

linda
    Participant

I'm way ahead of you Kim, I insisted that my doctor test me for Lyme at my appt two weeks ago, mostly because of the kick in the pants you gave me.;) He did the PCR test, and I'm just waiting for the results. The office policy is that one has to wait for your next appt to find out test results, no information is given over the phone. If something urgent shows up they'll call the patient.

I do feel like the poster child for weird symptoms, I don't have a diagnosis that fits neatly into any box. I have the symptoms of PsA but not the genetic marker. I have spinal involvement, which usually affects men, and I think something like 90% of people with AS have the gene that I'm missing. Plus my joints are symmetrical, like RA, and I've got the classic symptoms of FMS, all the way down to IBS. Now I've got this weird one-sided sweating. As a child I had severe asthma and allergies, and as a young woman I had endometriosis. The one thing they all have in common is that they are inflammatory diseases. I should leave my body to science because I am one big. freak. of. nature! Whew!, talk about getting a lemon! And to add insult to injury, my sister has no chronic illness, zero, except for a tentative dx of mild PsA. It must not be too bad cuz she runs 5 miles/day.  A more fair distribution of bad genes next time, please!

Joe M
    Participant

This study raises many questions in my mind.  First, I wish they would have elaborated on the “treatment for mycoplasma”.  Second, I wish they would have been more specific on the type of mycoplasma they found.  There are many.  They also say more study is needed to confirm the transformation of mycoplasma from ticks to humans.  Maybe it's the other way around as almost half the human population tests positive for mycoplasma of some sort.  Anyway, a good study that will hopefully lead to more discoveries!

tainabell
    Participant

[user=11]linda[/user] wrote:

I do feel like the poster child for weird symptoms, I don't have a diagnosis that fits neatly into any box.

I sympathize Linda!  I haven't come across someone else yet with chronic hives (every day for two and a half years now) and Lyme or chronic hives and RA.  Its frustrating for me, and doctors, and my family!  By the way, your new picture is cracking me up!  Maybe aliens have invaded our bodies and that's why we're sick, eh?  Stupid aliens!  :roll-laugh:

Kim
    Participant

Linda, GOOD JOB! There are answers out there, too bad it's up to us to find them. :headbang:

Tainabell, Have you been tested for Celiac?  Hepatitis Dermaformis is a skin condition related to Celiac that could be mistaken for hives.  I am a total newbie to Celiac and have only been diagnosed for a month, but it's my understanding the blood tests are not all that reliable.  I had a stool test with Enterolab that you can order without a doctor's prescription.  The celiac.com has lots of info.

Maz
    Keymaster

Jen, here is a link to what Kim is taking about – it has some pics that may help:

http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/dermatitis_herpeti.html

Peace, Maz

linda
    Participant

Joe, I too wish they had specified the bacteria.

tainabell, hives can be caused by so many things, from allergies to viruses to bacteria. About 7 yrs ago my kids and I got a really bad stomach virus. Jared and I both got hives, his were so bad that his entire body was covered. Poor kid, I took him to the ER since he was my asthma kid, and a shot of Benadryl did the trick for the hives, temporarily, but they continued for the course of the virus. We were sick for over a week, but we got better.The hives continued to appear for almost a yr after we were sick, tho. About every 4-6 wks we'd get them, for a few days, very mild. The peds doc had no explanation other than sometimes hives appear when we get an infection. weird.

Glad you like my avatar, I'm really such a geek:dude::dude::dude:, you guys don't even know…X-files, mathgeek, Tolkien freak from WAY before the movies, LOVE Ghost Hunters, etc. Whaddaya gonna do?:P

tainabell
    Participant

Thanks for the links, ladies.  Unfortunately, the pics don't match up at all with what I have.  Chronic urticaria is an autoimmune condition of its own, and usually isn't caused by allergies or anything, there's no trigger at all.  My hives start around 4pm and get worse as the night goes on.  They look like more like this…http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/dermnet/hives1.html (Caution:  These photos are icky, so don't click on them if you have sensitivity to stuff like this)

I used to post on another board for chronic hives, but I stopped posting there because my primary problem was not the skin issue, it was the degenerative arthritis, which it seemed like no one on the hives board had.  I'm convinced the two are connected, as they came on at the same time, but its hard to find of other cases wehre the sx presented as mine did.  Pretty sure now its Lyme related, but hard to know if the hives are a Lyme symptom or an offshoot AI condition created as a result of the Lyme, which would make a big difference.  

I'm not surprised that your pediatrician didn't know what was causing the hives – Linda.  Someone on my old hives sites said that a doctor once told him that he'd rather see a live tiger come through the door than a patient with chronic hives.  Oh, and by the way, Linda I'm a sci fi/fantasy geek as well, so geek on!  Love it! 

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘ I knew that Lyme and AI Disease were connected but holy cow…’ is closed to new replies.