Home Forums General Discussion I had to step back

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Sir Rifes alot
    Participant

I recently had to step back and Go back up on the prednisone temporarily .I couldnt for the life of me go on the way I was .No quality of life.Pain and inflammation everyday for months no relief just finally took its toll last thursday.Enough is enough .I also stopped the mino too .Its not doing any good when your inflammated to the point you can barely walk.I have not given up just needed some time to step back and regroup and get rid of the inflammation which seems to be working .The bromelain and the natto seem to have started working I think . 12.5 mg of prednisone helps too I am sure.Anyways I am doing better .It wasnt an easy decision after weaning 15 months but i have time .I have felt better in the past week than I have felt the past almost 3 months now .I actually put in my contact lenses the other day for the first time in many many months .My doctor is aware of what I am doing i called and left him voicemail .I didnt expect a call from him I wasnt disappointed when I didnt get one either.I am currently working on keeping the inflammation down and under control.I have gone back to physical therapy once a week now .I feel more in control !I am working on a b-plan to go back on an antibiotic but I dont think It will be the mino .Mino has left a bad taste in my mouth so to speak ..I have had nothing but problems since the beginning of december with this drug when i became hypersensitive and had to reduce the dose and I still felt awful .I just havent taken well to it and enough is enough.I have given this my best shot and have been let down time after time .Its time for a new plan of attack .I think a month or 2 should find me feeling much better and clearheaded enough to resume but I am definitely going to wean slower this time .But for right now I am enjoying not being in so much pain and having some kind of quality of life Its so nice to get out of bed and dressed on my own again.I still have a little trouble with that but its gets better with time.I have said enough .Maz PLEASE send me that POSSUM My knees could really use a posssum poultice. Also some of Grannys victuals wouldnt be turned down here either LOL

chris

Parisa
    Participant

Chris,

Are you aware that the bromelain can potentiate the antibiotic and make it stronger?

Sir Rifes alot
    Participant

Parisa, No I wasnt aware of that.I have been doing the bromelain almost 3 weeks now.

chris

APbeliever
    Participant

chris, try wobenzyme N. It also has bromelain in it. It did work wonders for me initially but then I discovered MSM. MSM with boswellia serrata works really well. I am using Flagyl along with Mino and these days I am herxing a lot. Everytime, I am tempted to use Prednisone to calm down everything but I am avoiding it since it is a devilish drug.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1701]Sir Rifes alot[/user] wrote:

I am working on a b-plan to go back on an antibiotic but I dont think It will be the mino .Mino has left a bad taste in my mouth so to speak ..I have had nothing but problems since the beginning of december with this drug when i became hypersensitive and had to reduce the dose and I still felt awful .I just havent taken well to it and enough is enough.I have given this my best shot and have been let down time after time .Its time for a new plan of attack .I think a month or 2 should find me feeling much better and clearheaded enough to resume but I am definitely going to wean slower this time .But for right now I am enjoying not being in so much pain and having some kind of quality of life Its so nice to get out of bed and dressed on my own again.I still have a little trouble with that but its gets better with time.I have said enough .Maz PLEASE send me that POSSUM My knees could really use a posssum poultice. Also some of Grannys victuals wouldnt be turned down here either LOL

Hi Chris,

Oh man…so sorry you're in the dumps again, Chris. I was really holding out for you that lowering your dose was going to help. The first thing that came to mind was what Parisa mentioned….bromelain potentiates antibiotics….so it could be that you'd either need to lower your mino dose further or quit the bromelain. 

Is there any chance at all that you could have developed drug-induced lupus with mino? I'm trying to remember how long you've been on it. It's rare, but it can happen. It crept up on me, so that I thought I had some other underlying infection that was becoming opportunistic. Unfortunately, the only way to know definitively is to have labs drawn (see my Progress Thread, as I detailed the labs there). I don't know if it's this same issue for you, but it's just a suggestion. One thing you could try is to ask your doc if you could switch out to a combo of doxy and azithromycin for a while and see if that affects you similarly or if you feel better. I felt better immediately as soon as I switched.

The other thing that came to mind was your mention of testing positive for TB a while back, which was why your rheumy said he had nothing to help you. I was following some links the other night and found a ton of info on latent TB and how this can actually produce symptoms of swelling in the feet and lower legs…amongst other things like weight loss, fever and night sweats…all things you've mentioned before. I believe the antibiotic normally used for TB longterm is rifampin…has anyone ever put you on that? I'm just wondering if you'd do better on something like the Sriram or Stratton protocols?

http://www.cpnhelp.org/treatment_protocols

I was talking to my Dad (he's a vet and worked in Africa for a while) about someone who had contacted RBF with some recurrent health issues they had had since doing aid work in Africa and he suggested latent TB as a possible offender (in addition to some other sub-saharan diseases). Apparently, latent TB can cause a mess of probs in some folk. Here are two wiki links, but you may find more if you search out “latent tuberculoisis” in addition to swollen feet or other recurrent symptoms you may have:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuberculosis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_tuberculosis

Btw, I'm keeping my eye out for that varmit and have my pea shooter ready to catch that critter in the act again. Until then, hope something above helps, Chris. I'm so sorry you're going through such a rough time of it…you're in my thoughts.

Peace, Maz

Sir Rifes alot
    Participant

Hey Maz thanx ,you know everyone is talkin about possums we have created a monster LOL.I am thinking about alot of things A little clearheadedness helps alot not being in constant chronic pain I do have things for the pain but how stupid do i wanna be all day long ? I do have a business to run that requires i do accounting a few days a week.i will investigate what your saying later today right now on my way to physical therapy for an hour.Yes thats right exercise! I hate it but it does my body good so I go ! just started back last week i havent been since January .Gotta run

exercising chris

nspiker
    Participant

Chris,  make sure you are taking bromelain on an empty stomach, away from minocin.  I know that can be a challenge, since both should be taken on an empty stomach. 

http://www.thorne.com/media/alternative_medicine_review/monographs/BromelainMono.pdf

nancy

PhilC
    Participant

I took bromelain and doxycycline on the same day a couple of times and noticed that I didn't feel so great about an hour after taking the doxy. I took them more than two hours apart, so I didn't think it would matter. It might have just been a coincidence, but I decided not to take bromelain on the days that I take doxy anymore. I haven't noticed any problems with doxy and nattokinase or serrapeptase.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Sir Rifes alot
    Participant

Hey phil.I have been taking the natto for about 2 weeks now i havent really noticed anything yet .The bromelain makes me piss alot later after taking it .do you take natto ?i wasa just wondering how long till it starts to work?

chris

maz.aust
    Participant

I couldn't agree more … & although you probably don't need reminding be careful if you drink pineapple juice.

Bromelain is a mixture of protein-digesting (proteolytic) enzymes found in pineapples. Used for centuries in Central and South America to treat indigestion and reduce inflammation. Bromelain, which is derived from the stem and juice of the pineapple, was first isolated from the pineapple plant in the late 1800s. The German Commission E approved bromelain to treat swelling and inflammation following surgery, & is particularly effective in reducing inflammation associated with infection.

I would think because it is an anti-inflam that's why you are peeing so much !!

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

PhilC
    Participant

[user=1701]Sir Rifes alot[/user] wrote:

Hey phil.I have been taking the natto for about 2 weeks now i havent really noticed anything yet .The bromelain makes me piss alot later after taking it .do you take natto ?i wasa just wondering how long till it starts to work?

Hi Chris,

Nattokinase is a blood thinner and dissolves blood clots. If you have problems related to poor circulation, like numbness in the extremities, nattokinase might help. Otherwise, you probably won't notice anything.

Also, because nattokinase is a blood thinner it's probably not a good idea to take more than what is recommended on the label unless directed to do so by a doctor. Higher doses may not be safe.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

luvmywonderfulkids
    Participant

Chris,

doesn't the bromelain just make the mino stronger? is that bad? We have Ryan taking his enzymes (which contains bromelain) at the same time he takes is mino, ceftin, and nystatin in the morning — are we doing something wrong? It is so hard to work out the pill schedule!

Sue — Ryan's Mom

linda
    Participant

I'm sorry for this setback, but I understand. My first 2 attempts at weaning off pred failed, this my 3rd try is the closest I've ever been, from 15 mgs last Sept down to 3mgs now, but like you, I'm in a world of hurt and pretty much non functional. I held at 5 mgs for a few mths but ahve recently begun decreasing at my doctors insistence. /btw, he 's a rheumy! I think that he feels I'm stronger than I am because I have been so stubborn in reducing this pred, because he also wants me to go to physical therapy 3 times a week, while I'm continuing to reduce the pred. That's just not going to happen, maybe once a week like you. You're wise to take a few mths a think about your options, I've learned to never make a decision during a bad flare because  just like you said, my mind is too foggy. Best wishes, linda

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Hi Sir Rifes alot,

sorry to hear about your setback. when I read you posting I thought that maybe you one of those people that can not handle Mino. I mean there are some medication I can not take that actually make me sick. I am so glad we have Maz, she is a treasure trove of wisdome. I wish I had some of it. Just take it easy and one day at the time. sometimes we have to do what we realy try to avoid because Prednison is such an evil medication and does a lot of damage to you.

Linda,

I am glad you are able to cut back on your Prednison again. I wish you the best on working on that issues. A friend of mine recently told me that she had a problem with her diabetes and high blood pressure meds that she had been taking for years, she has SD. She had lots of diarrhea and one day she took her sugar and it was normal so she didn't take her medication and it has stayed normal for weeks now, same with the blood pressure meds, so now she is only on Mino and no more diarrhea. She is keeping a close watch on it and the next doctors appointment she wil let her doctor know what has been going on. I hope you feeling better soon.

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Hi Chris,

New Mexico is a pretty state.  Wonder where Belen is located.  I've been to Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

GOod luck with your meds.

Jan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘ I had to step back’ is closed to new replies.