Home Forums General Discussion How to control inflammation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    DMW
    Participant

I tried 25 mg of minocycline MWF but developed new symptoms….pain in my lower and mid back. I took celebrex to help with the inflammation but developed a rash that looked like shingles. I tend to get full of inflamamtion which causes more joint damage. What have others used to control the inflammation? With me it just seems to build. Do people take MTX to get past the worst part of the herxing? I also was taking 5 mg of cortef but that along with the celebrex didn’t help with the infammation. Do you take the cortef weeks in advance of starting the antibiotic? Thanks.

I have tried for Lyme…minocycline, Cowden protocol, and cannabutter. I’ve had a herx with Folinic acid, magnesium, moducare, xylitol, apple cider vinegar, TADS (adrenal support), activated charcoal, LDN, herbal made by my LLND and a 50 billion probiotic. I have been clinically diagnosed with Bartonella and mycoplasma. My Lyme testing was inconclusive-band 41 was double starred and I had about 4 indefnite…but I was also on cannabutter at the time (a natural antibiotic). I have high reverse T3 and low T

jasregadoo

I took prednisone while going through those early days (months, actually). It helped a lot, and might be something you should check into…

Davit
    Participant

I take prednisone But Now I have to because My adrenal gland no longer produces cortisone. Catch 22 MTX never did work even at 20 mg injectable. Minocin worked, Minocycline didn’t. Naproxen worked but gave me a perforated ulcer. This isn’t an answer, it is just me.

DMW
    Participant

Jasregadoo, How much prednisone did you take? Did you start taking the prednisone before the antibioitic? Davit, I can’t tolerate much in the way of prescription medication either. It seems that Minocin isn’t available in Canada, just minocycline.

I have tried for Lyme…minocycline, Cowden protocol, and cannabutter. I’ve had a herx with Folinic acid, magnesium, moducare, xylitol, apple cider vinegar, TADS (adrenal support), activated charcoal, LDN, herbal made by my LLND and a 50 billion probiotic. I have been clinically diagnosed with Bartonella and mycoplasma. My Lyme testing was inconclusive-band 41 was double starred and I had about 4 indefnite…but I was also on cannabutter at the time (a natural antibiotic). I have high reverse T3 and low T

jasregadoo

I did take prednisone prior to minocycline, before I had heard of AP, actually. I started at 20mg for maybe a week, then weaned down fairly quickly…but found that while the worst of my inflammation was gone, I was still very uncomfortable. So I went back on the prednisone, 10 mg for a little while, then 5mg, then down from there. I stayed on it at 5mg for awhile after I started the Minocycline, then tapered off. It gave me really good relief, but coming off of it was difficult, and I sometimes wonder if it was more difficult than being without. I don’t know. But it did help, and with the herx from the minocycline, I think it’s a good help for many. It was for me. It did take me a couple of months to wean off completely, but as it can affect your adrenal glands (as Davit said) I didn’t want to stay on it. I would like to try Minocin, but with current prices, I can’t afford it. Interesting that you say it isn’t available in Canada, as I think some have recently purchased Minocin from an online Canadian pharmacy. Perhaps it’s not legit, I have no idea.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

You might want to check out this thread (link below) and scroll down to bonnielou’s post re what she has recently purchased from Canada. It is perfectly legit purchasing this way and a script is required.

https://www.roadback.org/forums/topic/no-question-insurance-wont-cover-minocin-brand-for-me-after-mar-2016/

note: DMW think you may be from Canada? if so, then no you can’t purchase this way. Sorry! 🙁

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

PhilC
    Participant

Hi DMW,

I tend to get full of inflamamtion which causes more joint damage. What have others used to control the inflammation? With me it just seems to build. Do people take MTX to get past the worst part of the herxing? I also was taking 5 mg of cortef but that along with the celebrex didn’t help with the infammation.

You would need to be taking a much higher dose of Cortef to get a significant amount of anti-inflammatory activity from it — 5 mg is a very small dose.

For more info, see: Low-dose cortisol (hydrocortisone)

Yes, some people take MTX and/or another DMARD to help control inflammation. Perhaps something like that will be necessary in your case. However, from my perspective it would make more sense (in your case) to switch to doxycycline, rather than add MTX or another immunosuppressant to minocycline.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

jasregadoo

Wait, Canadians can’t purchase from Canadian online pharmacies? That doesn’t make any sense. Is that because of their national health won’t cover it? Could they buy if they paid out of pocket?

DMW
    Participant

Thanks for your responses.
    This is the reply I got from Buy Low Drugs, a Canadian Company:

Thank you for your email. Yes, we carry Minocin, please click on the link below for prices on Minocin:

http://www.buylowdrugs.com/rx-drugs/Minocin.php

If you wish to submit an order through our company, you need to either register with us online, or by filling out a new customer order form. You can as well place the order and once the order has been submitted, you can fax or email us a copy of your prescription to start processing it. Your order will be processed and filled once we have received a copy of your prescription via fax or email. Please be advised that you will be required to mail the original prescription to us as well.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

PhilC
    Participant

Wait, Canadians can’t purchase from Canadian online pharmacies? That doesn’t make any sense. Is that because of their national health won’t cover it? Could they buy if they paid out of pocket?

I believe the reason is because these types of online pharmacies are not pharmacies in the normal sense. Some of the drugs they sell are imported from other countries and have not been approved for sale in Canada.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

SJJ
    Participant

you need to have a prescription from a US doctor and have it delivered to a US address or PO box. I called to ask. they only deliver to US.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi DMW,

I took celebrex to help with the inflammation but developed a rash that looked like shingles.

You could ask your doctor to prescribe a different NSAID. I recommend trying nabumetone first, and if that one doesn’t work, or causes intolerable side effects, I would try etodolac. There are a few different generics of nabumetone available in Canada. Of those, I would avoid Apo-Nabumetone.

Here’s some additional info about nabumetone:

“In RA patients, nabumetone 1 g at bedtime is optimal, but an additional 0.5-1 g can be administered in the morning for patients with persistent symptoms.”

Source: Nabumetone: therapeutic use and safety profile in the management of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.

So, the recommended dose is 1000 mg at bedtime, and an additional 500 to 1000 mg in the morning (only if needed). Some people have tried taking 500 mg twice a day instead of 1000 mg at bedtime, but apparently that doesn’t work very well.

For more info, see:
    Safety of the nonselective NSAID nabumetone : focus on gastrointestinal tolerability.
    Gastrointestinal safety profile of nabumetone: a meta-analysis.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

DMW
    Participant

THanks Phil for the recommendation. I can’t seem to tolerate any NSAID’s and get abdominal pain with very small amounts. I just tried a couple days of nexium and felt sick and my stomach hurt. I don’t know how I will ever treat this infection, since I have become hypersensitive to everything. I am wondering if humira would be the answer???

PhilC
    Participant

Hi DMW,

I can’t seem to tolerate any NSAID’s and get abdominal pain with very small amounts.

What NSAIDs have you tried? Some of them are rather hard on the stomach.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

DMW
    Participant

I have only tried celebrex, cortef, and ibuprophen. I have a very sensitive stomach.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.