Home Forums General Discussion How frequent is discoloration of the teeth while on Minocin?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    stile RA
    Participant

Does anybody know how often people get discoloration of the teeth while on AP?

sierrra
    Participant

I've had to deal with that. I get brownish deposits near the gumline from the minocycline, but they come off with professional cleaning. I get my teeth cleaned 4 times a year now.

Sierra

Kim
    Participant

It was never a problem for me, like everything else we're all different. 😕

kim

JeffN
    Participant

I too had the brown crud early on. I had my first cleaning about four months after begining mino and it all came off. I just had a little bit when I went back four months later and since has not been a problem. I have read that the brown is die off. Makes sense to me but I don't know for sure.

richie
    Participant

Hi

Sorry Jeff but the brown isnt die-off rather a good sign that the minocin is really permeating your system –minocycline can also turn internal tissues brown —I had skin surgery recently and the tissues below the skin were all brown –the doc mentioned more than likely most of my organs probably turned brown –means nothing !!! That is why that minocin is counter-indicated for very young children and pregnant moms –it affects the teeth and can even turn the permanent teeth brown —

richie

Randy
    Participant

Yes, I have had the brown staining from the beginning of AP. I too have more frequent teeth cleaning and fortunately it does come off. 

Initially I thought the stains were from drinking tea….but they weren't.  Looking back on it now, it was an interesting period of time. See, I wasn't a tea drinker; I loved coffee.  However, at the time I was on plaquenel and I lost my appetite as well as the taste for coffee (and alcohol!).  So I began drinking tea.  Then after starting AP those stains showed up and it was time to see the dentist.  My hygienist quickly asserted that my stains were due to the tea which she said is terribly staining – much more so than coffee! 

Soon I was off plaquenel and thankfully my taste returned for coffee.  About 4 or 5 months later at my next teeth cleaning my hygienist began working on my stains and assummed and asked if I was still drinking the tea….

Randy

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

sierrra
    Participant

[user=223]Randy[/user] wrote:

About 4 or 5 months later at my next teeth cleaning my hygienist began working on my stains and assummed and asked if I was still drinking the tea….

Randy

The last hygienist I had also thought mine was from tea, but I drank tea before AP and never had staining like I do now. I've always had nice white teeth, so I got a bit freaked out when this started to happen, but I've been on the medicine for nearly three years and have been able to keep this side effect under good control with more frequent professional cleanings and an electric toothbrush (occasionally I'll brush with baking soda).

S.

troysmom
    Participant

discoloration of teeth can come from long term use of many types of medicine.  My son has 'yellow' teeth from years of taking meds, he has only been on the mincycline for two months.  He got his braces off in May and we have talked about possibly doing a professional whitening, I don't know if it helps with discoloration from meds.

Seems like everything comes with a price you have to pay on some level.

MaryP
    Participant

I no longer have the brown crud lines near my gumline, (just checked!) but I did during the first 2 to 2-1/2 years of treatment. The first time I went to the dentist, the hygenist looked and said “oh, you're taking antibiotics!”. I was really surprised and she said she sees this often with longer term antibiotic use. It comes off with cleaning and I got my teeth cleaned about 4 times yearly.

JeffN
    Participant

[user=16]richie[/user] wrote:

Hi

Sorry Jeff but the brown isnt die-off rather a good sign that the minocin is really permeating your system –minocycline can also turn internal tissues brown —I had skin surgery recently and the tissues below the skin were all brown –the doc mentioned more than likely most of my organs probably turned brown –means nothing !!! That is why that minocin is counter-indicated for very young children and pregnant moms –it affects the teeth and can even turn the permanent teeth brown —

richie

Thanks – I have read about the discoloration internally and of the teeth and gums. I particularly like the fact that the mino will make your bones fluorescent green IIRC. Any idea what the brown coating that several of us have experienced is? My teeth and gums are definetly not discolored, it was some sort of coating external of the teeth and gums. The coating came off with a little effort and has not returned. It was just an issue the first nine months or so inmy case.

Suzanne
    Participant

My little one is on Zith, not mino, but still I have been anxious about her permanent teeth. 

I happy to report that she has lost her first tooth and new one on its way in is nice and white!

Also, at her last cleaning, the hygenist remarked that she had practically nothing to clean!  I was very, very happy to hear that – she brushes without my help, so she is doing a great job on her own, plus obviously isn't having some of the issues others have mentioned.

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

sierrra
    Participant

[user=1358]troysmom[/user] wrote:

discoloration of teeth can come from long term use of many types of medicine.  My son has 'yellow' teeth from years of taking meds, he has only been on the mincycline for two months.  He got his braces off in May and we have talked about possibly doing a professional whitening, I don't know if it helps with discoloration from meds.

Seems like everything comes with a price you have to pay on some level.

Crest White Strips work really well for whitening.

Sierra

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘ How frequent is discoloration of the teeth while on Minocin?’ is closed to new replies.