Home Forums General Discussion How common is the whole Lyme Disease thing?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ekrueger
    Participant

Hey guys / gals,

Just doing more thinking about the infection connection deal and I was wondering how often Lyme Disease can be attributed to the direct cause of RA?  I noticed at the bottom of many of the people's posts I've seen on this site, it lists Lyme as part of their problem. I know it isn't the cause of ALL cases of RA.  If only it were that easy, huh?  I just wondered if anyone had any statistics on the number of RA and Lyme related cases.  I mean, would it be worth it to get tested for Lyme?  I've read that the current tests are often unreliable and apparently there is some specific test and protocol for the testing you have to undergo and only a few docs are well-versed in this protocol.  Any pearls of wisdom are appreciated.

Sorry I ask so many questions 🙂

Thanks,
    Liz

Lizz
    Participant

Liz, I'm not the lyme expert on this board, but, if your current protocol isn't working, it's ALWAYS good to rule out lyme. Try to find an LLMD to help you. I'm sure others will come on to help you here. Best of luck!

Lorie A
    Participant

just my thoughts on this –

I was diagnosed with SD in 08 and started AP in 09. I initially got better than the SD started to progress. After reading so many posts on here about co-infections, I decided to get tested for lyme and I'm positive too. I think there is a definite connection and if I had not been a member of this board, I may have never found out that I have lyme.
    Incidently, my llmd used Igenex labs but he said I was positive by the standard CDC version. It is worth the time to find out because this just saved me precious timein trying to get better. 😉

Lorie

Kim
    Participant

Wow, Lorie, another SD/Lymie. :shock::shock::shock: We now have so many on this board it's scary.  I was once told it was an extremely rare combination, but it's becoming more common on RBF.  An experienced LLMD with tell you the other conditions will remit as the Lyme is under control. I did for me.

If you have clinical symptoms from the co-infections then they would just treat you with the whole arsenal to cover the bases.   Put a call into the doctor's office and ask him.

Good luck…..kim

Lorie A
    Participant

Hey Kim

I'm ready to get going with the lyme treatment and am saying prayers that my hives will keep in check. They are finally better and I'm worried they will come back with a vengeance when I add more abx to the minocin.

Lucky me to have hives – why couldn't my body just let me pee, poop or sweat out my toxins?!?!?!?!?!;)

Lorie

Kim
    Participant

Good work, Lorie, always best to find the right to come back from. 😉

Take care…..kim

Parisa
    Participant

Liz,

Alot of people have Lyme disease and it can run the gamut from mild cases of aches and pains to severe cases that can be fatal.  The difference between cases would depend on the strain or strains of borrelia and other co-infections passed by the tick, pre-existing diseases and one's own genetic make-up.  Certain strains of Lyme like different parts of the body more than others.

Yes, it's not always easy to get testing as there's a good chance the local g.p. won't know about Igenex so you may have to order the kit on your own and find someone to draw the blood.  And then if it turns out positive  the qualified Lyme practitioners are limited so you may have to go outside of your medical network for treatment.  But if it turns out to be positive and you do get adequate treatment it can make a big difference in the outcome of your disease and that is definitely worth going through all of the above.

If you want to understand Lyme disease better, there is a great book called Cure Unknown by Pamela Weintraub, a science journalist.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ How common is the whole Lyme Disease thing?’ is closed to new replies.