Home Forums General Discussion high blood pressure

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    cheryls
    Participant

After being on Sulindac for over 3 years along with Minocin I suddenly developed high blood pressure.  No family history of high blood pressure and mine has always been low.  Of course the dr. first thing put me on Atenolol took me off sulindac.  Now after 1 month on bp med I have hives.  Since I've been on the same dose of minocin i don't believe the hives are from that, dr. doesn't think its from bp med.  Anyone else have anything similar to this reaction?

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=139]cheryls[/user] wrote:

After being on Sulindac for over 3 years along with Minocin I suddenly developed high blood pressure.  No family history of high blood pressure and mine has always been low.  Of course the dr. first thing put me on Atenolol took me off sulindac.  Now after 1 month on bp med I have hives.  Since I've been on the same dose of minocin i don't believe the hives are from that, dr. doesn't think its from bp med.  Anyone else have anything similar to this reaction?

Hi Cheryl,

I just checked out the side-effects of Atenolol and it appears hives can be a result of this drug:

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/atenolol-side-effects.html

One thing to be aware of, as well, is that Atenolol and other BP meds have been linked to drug-induced lupus (DILE), which may also cause rashes.

http://autoimmunedisease.suite101.com/article.cfm/drug_related_lupus

This is something to be careful of, because minocycline has also been linked to DILE and it could be difficult to distinguish between which drug is causing it, if this should occur. Just thought it might be important to mention this, as you never know. 😉

Also, did your doc happen to check your thyroid and kidney function? If not, you might want to have these tests run, as both may be a cause of high BP. A high cholesterol reading may accompany hypothyroidism, too.

Just some thoughts that came to mind that may or may not be relevant. Perhaps others will chime in with their thoughts, too. Hope you can figure this out, Cheryl, and please let us know what you discover.

Peace, Maz

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘ high blood pressure’ is closed to new replies.