Home Forums General Discussion hi, and update

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Marie
    Participant

Hi, everyone,

It's been a while; things have been hectic.  Hi to everyone!

Well, things have been interesting for me of late.  In mid-April I started antibiotics for tick borne infection(s).  After two weeks on zith I got a mammoth yeast infection.  I had to stop abx and treat yeast.  I've made progress on yeast, but it's still there.

I had Genova's comprehensive digestive stool analysis test done in late June, and the results, suprisingly, showed no yeast.  (Honestly, I think it just caught me on a good day.)  It also showed a deficiency of good gut flora and malabsorption of fats (which can indicate malabsorption of other nutrients, too).

I'm now taking more probiotics and some digestive enzymes to help w/ absorption and am to go back on abx in a month.

Seeking ideas on all fronts…what probiotics have really worked for you?  I tried PB8, VSL #3, the Ultimate Flora brand, and those didn't work so well.  Now I'm taking those reuteri pearls (double dose) and Digesta Guard (4/day) from Perque.

And antifungals…I've done fungal defense (seemed to work), caprylic acid (BURNED my innards) and Solaray Yeast Cleanse (worked well, maybe even caused a tick disease herx…all my tendons hurt).  This product also contains caprylic acid…maybe I just can't tolerate that one by itself???

Gut healing tips!  I've done some reading here, but would still love to hear what the rest of you do. 

If I have bartonella, that might be why I struggle so w/ yeast, my dr says.  Apparently it's an immune suppressant. 

I don't really know what I have.  I hit on band 39 for Igenex, which I understand is pretty lyme specific.  Quest babesia duncani titer is 512, and as to bartonella, the Fry smear was inconclusive.  The NC state study said no DNA for bart, but my titers to two of the strains were 256. 

It would help if my symptoms were more “hallmark.”  I have inflammation, dry eyes, yeast tendencies, gut issues and hypercoagulation.  Don't know how much it matters…all roads lead to abx anyway. 

I started bolouke for the hypercoagulation, and it worked marvelously.  I don't get blue nail beds in my cold office anymore.  My muscles, tendons and ligaments have loosened marvelously. 

In April 08, I foolishly went on a power walk.  I ended up with awful achilles tendinitis and plantar fasciitis.  It was so bad that I had to wear 2 in heels.  The inflammation didn't subside…of course, I had an underlying inflammatory problem and didn't know it…so I never could get out of the heels.  My legs “froze” that way, and I became unable to walk flat footed.  Sometimes I even needed heels in the shower. 

After 2-3 months on the bolouke, I was able to walk flat footed with ease.  It's SUCH a pleasure to wear flats again! 

Oh well, just getting nervous about going back on abx.  But I can't let these bugs just play in my body, either. 

orchid
    Participant

Hi Marie –

I'm curious – were you on probiotics prior to the yeast issue or did you begin them after? I think a recommended brand (by Dr F) is Metagenics Ultra Flora. Expensive but supposed to be good. Or just take more than you were?

Sorry to hear about all of the problems you encountered but it sounds like you're back on track!

Kim
    Participant

[user=601]Marie[/user] wrote:

If I have bartonella, that might be why I struggle so w/ yeast, my dr says.  Apparently it's an immune suppressant. 

It would help if my symptoms were more “hallmark.”  I have inflammation, dry eyes, yeast tendencies, gut issues and hypercoagulation.  Don't know how much it matters…all roads lead to abx anyway. 

Geez, Marie, after reading your post I'm worn out ~ just proves this ain't easy!

I would say your symptoms were hallmark (except for wearing 2″ heels in the shower :roll-laugh:)  I have all those same symptoms, but they are much improved.  What your LLMD says about Bart and yeast is very interesting to me because I can't seem to totally eradicate my yeast either, even though my Bart seems under control and I've been off of abx for a few months.

As far as probiotics, I don't have a favorite ~ I just keep rotating them.

I can't remember if you are on a gluten-free diet to heal your gut, but if not, may be worth considering.  Gluten and dairy are huge offenders for many of us.

Take care and thanks for the update. 🙂

kim

katieb
    Participant

Hi Marie,

My nutritionist seems to think that it is important that the probiotic contains Lactobacillus Rhamnosus to fight Candida.

I was having oregano capsules for a few weeks as an anti-fungal, but she likes to keep rotating them, and the one I'm on now does contain Caprylic Acid as well as Pau d'arco, Goldenseal, Grapefruit Seed Extract and Worm Wood. I also have a tincture containing Milk Thistle, Hypericum, and Goldenseal.

The Candida does seem to be subsiding very well now.

As far as diet is concerned, I mostly have to avoid anything containing yeast, sugar, alcohol (as far as possible !!! :roll-laugh:) , garlic (this is unusual as many anti-Candida diets tell you to eat this !), mushrooms, MSG& vinegar.

Hope you manage to get your yeast & gut problems sorted and can soon get back on your abx !

Best wishes,  Katie 😀

Marie
    Participant

[user=40]Kim[/user] wrote:

[user=601]Marie[/user] wrote:

Geez, Marie, after reading your post I'm worn out ~ just proves this ain't easy!

I am pretty exhausted w/ all this, too! 

Re symptoms…it's clearly something tick borne, but I don't seem to have any of the clear signs of any of the coinfections.  Don't all these things cause hypercoagulation?  Don't both lyme and bart cause eye issues?  They all cause inflammation.  I don't have the heel pain that some bart people do, and even though I have a high babs titer, I have zero symptoms.  (hope that doesn't mean it's there lurking!  My dr says bart can cause false positives for babs duncani…my strain…and lyme…although I hit band 39…)

Yes, I've been gluten free for a year.  It's been a lifesaver.  Was always able to tolerate it in the past…sigh.  Yet the gut issues are worsening…either my underlying condition is getting worse or the yeast it taking a toll. 

I started taking pbs when I started abx…throwing back a handful of PB8s per day.  I think something really is not right w/ my gut/immune system.  In fall of 07 I took two rounds of z paks for sinus infections, and my body handled the abx just fine.  A year and a half later, about the same amount of the same abx, and real problems result.  It's scary. 

I also religiously adhere to the candida diet.  My yeast level is still so high, though, that I get brown stuff between my teeth from die off.  It comes off @ the dentist. 

Kim, what are your yeast symptoms?

Another yeast question, I often herx in my tendons and ligaments.  I wonder whether that's a yeast herx or a tick infection herx.  Diflucan and the Solaray yeast product (grape seed extract, cap acid and the other usual friends) make me herx in my yeast places…but also in my tendons.  Normal to have a yeast herx in the tendons?  Or is something else dying?  When I first went on abx pre-yeast, my herx was in my tendons (and my gut…hmmmmm…wonder where my bugs live!)

Donna RA
    Participant

Marie,

My Doc recently suggested to begin using a enteric coated formula by Jarrow (EPS).  Enteric coated so it doesn't get completey ruined by stomach acid.  I have taken his advice, and after using PB8, and Metagenics, I definately can tell the difference with improved bowels, and digestion.

Good Luck,

Donna RA and Lyme

Kim
    Participant

Marie, my tongue has a whitish coating which is a dead giveaway for yeast.  Everything I do keeps it in check, but it's still there. :X

Good suggestion, Donna, about using the enteric coated probiotics.  I'll try that next.

Thanks…..kim

Marie
    Participant

Thanks, Donna.  So glad you found a combo that works for you.  I'll make a note for myself.  So want to get off the probiotic merry go round.

Yeah, yeast can certainly hang on there, can't it?  I don't have a white tongue, but sometimes my tongue and gums feel tingly.  My remaining symptoms are in my stomach, esophagus/reflux and ears.  When I first started yeast herxing, I'd get ringing in my ears that would be really pronounced at night.  I freaked out, but now I've noticed it's related to when I take an effective antifungal. 

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Marie,

Apologies if you've already mentioned or tried this, but have you considered doing a parasite cleanse? The Humaworm cleanse that Kim and others have done here seems to have some effect on candida, too. Just wondering…

http://www.humaworm.com

Peace, Maz

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Marie, my tongue has a whitish coating which is a dead giveaway for yeast.

Kim- when mine was whitish with a fairly bright red tip, I was told by my holistic osteo, acupuncturist that this indicated that I had a parasite. Hence my cleanse before travelling. Lynnie  

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Kim
    Participant

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

Kim- when mine was whitish with a fairly bright red tip, I was told by my holistic osteo, acupuncturist that this indicated that I had a parasite. Hence my cleanse before travelling. Lynnie  

Well crap! :sick:

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Well, that's one way of putting it:roll-laugh::roll-laugh::roll-laugh: Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Marie
    Participant

I am starting to think about the parasite angle.  Recently I read that parasites can feed on candida and that the parasites themselves weaken your immune system…which makes it harder to fight the candida.

If true, that's a pretty strong case for needing a parasite cleanse.

About a week ago I started a new probiotic, Digesta Guard Forte + FOS from Perque.  http://www.perque.com/pdfs/PERQUE-Digesta-Guard-Forte.pdf  I'd never heard of it and took it on my dr's recommendation.  This stuff seems to be making me herx…inflammation up, yeast places going crazy, tendons hurting, teeth getting browner (you wouldn't notice it unless you knew it was there ;)).

It makes me wonder what all is in my gut.  Does a yeast herx make tendons hurt?  What could be dying in there, anyway?

I've been thinking about the balance between doing a cleanse and taking probiotics…if you build up your gut flora a bit and then do a cleanse, do you have to start from square 1 re the flora?  Wouldn't you be pretty vulnerable till your flora gets built back up? 

Kim
    Participant

Marie,

There is a lot of information on humaworm.com.  I'm a customer and think it's an excellent product. 😕  There have been previous threads on this topic that you can search.

Take care…..kim

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘ hi, and update’ is closed to new replies.