Home Forums General Discussion Herxing

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    April15533
    Participant

How do you tell if you are herxing from use of the Mino? Dizziness? Pain? Does it take days or months? It is hard to distinguish since I also try to exercise daily. Trying to determine if I should give in and ask for prednizone for pain for those “just in case” days.
    April

Spiffy1

More people will probably chime in after the holiday. I just wanted you to know someone saw your post. I wish I had the answer for you.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

Pardon the delay. Paying for the holiday stress last couple days.
    On herxing – When I just start a particular treatment, like a new antibiotic or one ive been off of for a while, if I feel worse in any way within a week of starting it, I chalk it up to a herx.
    How long have you been on Mino April and what dosage?

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

April15533
    Participant

Pinkmoth, i have been taking Mino 100×2 for about a week. Slowly increasing to 2xday. Not sure if what I feel is from the mino or from exercise and activity. I do stretch, yoga, and WII activities. Also, I have notices red pimples on my neck that don’t seem to go away. Those were there before the mino started.

lemons
    Participant

Mino’s a tetracycline that crosses the blood / brain barrier. The dizziness that you are experiencing could indicate a Herxheimer reaction, as opposed to a flare up of disease.
    N x

Maz
    Keymaster

How do you tell if you are herxing from use of the Mino? Dizziness? Pain? Does it take days or months? It is hard to distinguish since I also try to exercise daily. Trying to determine if I should give in and ask for prednizone for pain for those “just in case” days.
    April

Pinkmoth, i have been taking Mino 100×2 for about a week. Slowly increasing to 2xday. Not sure if what I feel is from the mino or from exercise and activity. I do stretch, yoga, and WII activities. Also, I have notices red pimples on my neck that don’t seem to go away. Those were there before the mino started.

Hi April,

If you check out both the Minocycline in Early Diffuse SD study and RBF summary and also Dr. Trentham’s article, both on the main website, you’ll discover that one of the primary reasons the study authors started mino at 50mg twice a day (only increasing dose after first month) was to help prevent dizziness and other minor, transient side effects that pass once the body adjusts to the medication.

Antibiotic Therapy for Rheumatic Disease: You know where we have been; so where are we now?
    David E. Trentham, M.D.
    Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard Medical School

See the following excerpt under section entitled “Poorly-informed Use.”

Importantly I follow the study format of dosing (100 mg 2x/day) every single day. For older or smaller patients, it may be best to start with only 100 mg or even 50 mg per day, since these patients may be more apt to experience dizziness or headaches if begun on the standard dose. Sufficient time must transpire before concluding that it is effective—or non-effective. I cannot state what this precisely means for individual patients, but clearly unacceptable arthritis activity after several months warrants rethinking.

In the case of SD, most SD patients without an inflammatory component experience little, if any, herxing. Herxing and degree of herxing in rheumatic patients (not necessarily neuro-autoimmunity) seems relative to degree of pre-existing inflammation. There is a good deal of info on herxing in the FAQs and also it’s worth reading the Pulsed Protocol Doctor Packet as it explains some of this, too.

With SD, the first year’s focus for most SD patients starting AP is on simply slowing disease progression and bringing the freight train to a halt. After that first year or so is when people seem to start experiencing symptom regression. It varies, of course but it’s very sad to hear when folks stop their AP after a few months or even a year as it’s really not long enough to start seeing results. In rare instances, some SDers see results very fast, in months, but for the most part, the treatment is very slooooow. It takes a long time for the immune system to crash to this extent, so there can be many factors to address and heal during this time (e.g., hormone balancing, gut healing, learning how to detox especially if herxing, treating confections, etc).

Hope something here helps?

Dunlop321
    Participant

Hi April,

In my case, my pains increased considerably, was very tired. This lasted a number of weeks. Gradually things improved, and the first thing I noticed was having extra energy and a better mood. My RA markers in my blood scores also increased during the Herx, particularly ESR.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.