Home Forums General Discussion herx? yeast?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Marie
    Participant

Hi,

I started zith about 3 wks ago, 300mg bid for 2 wks, and 1 week ago went to 600 mg bid.  Today I noticed that my mouth hurts.  My tongue and gums are sensitive and burn a bit.  If I lick my lips they burn a bit, too.  I've been good about taking probiotics.  My tongue looks normal.  Maybe my saliva is herxing!  (If we had a “confused” icon, I would insert it here!) 

I have the range of herx symptoms, fatigue, headaches, joint pain, tendon pain, tight muscles, random floating pains, increased inflammation.  I'm doing milk thistle and the lemon drink and taking extra turmeric.

The mouth pain makes me think about yeast.  I've read the list of yeast symptoms, but they're so general it seems that anything could cause them, including a herx. 

Does anyone have any tips re distinguishing between a herx and yeast? 

Thanks!

Marie

maz.aust
    Participant

Hi Marie,

I have had 2 outbreaks of a tongue & gum problem and they came almost a year apart to the week; the 2nd time I left it too long before I went to the doctor and little weenie blisters developed both under & on the side of my tongue (I couldn't see them).  Conclusive diagnosis, yeast problem (all be it an unusual yeast problem), anyway a course of Amoxil & some Nilstat drops and it all went away really quickly.

I think yeast rather than herx !    But can stand corrected,

My herx pain was totally different from what I experienced in my mouth area, so I didn't even think herx.

Good Luck,
    Maz-Aust

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

Marie
    Participant

Thanks, Maz-Aust!

I did that “spit in a glass first thing in the morning” test, and the results make me finger yeast. 

I guess I'll skip my daily abx dose and call the dr.  Onward and upward!

Marie

Marie
    Participant

ok.  I'm sitting here looking at my just acquired (generic) diflucan and nystatin.  😕

I realize now that I had yeast symptoms as early as Sunday, May 3.  I ate hot chilis on an upset stomach (I know, silly me) and had what felt like a horrible case of reflux going all the way up to my mouth.  I read Dr. B's guidelines re yeast this morning and found that yeast can cause such symptoms.

I'm stymied as to how I ended up w/ a yeast issue after just two weeks on 300mg zith bid, along with probiotic usage.  I wonder if I had a preexisting undetected yeast problem. 

I'm not excited re this variable, but I surmise that lyme won't go away if yeast is a player.  I pray that I'm able to keep the yeast at bay and still treat the lyme.

Marie

maz.aust
    Participant

Hi Marie,

Glad you had a rethink and came up with the conclusion – you had the yeast problem sitting before taking the abx — looking back in retrospect is a wonderful thing!

Just thought I would let you know – I only took the abx & nilstat to get rid of the yeast problem for a week then resumed my AP abx routine.  Didn't have another outbreak for 12 mths.

Good luck with it,
    Maz – Aust

Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

All off days Probiotics

Marie
    Participant

Hi, Maz-Aust,

Thanks for pointing me in the yeast direction.  It was definitely the culprit. 

I'm trying to get together a more comprehensive yeast management plan, w/ probiotics, antifungals, oral hygiene and diet.  Right now I'm nursing a garlic clove.

Yeast does more to you than I thought…I even have symptoms in my eyes, nose and ears. 

I started feeling better over the weekend, and then, today at work, my symptoms were worse.  Now that I'm no longer there, symptoms have subsided.  I hope I'm not dealing w/ a sick building issue.  :sick:

Marie

Maz
    Keymaster

Marie, did your LLMD say anything about taking zith at the same time as diflucan? Just wondering, because diflucan has some effect on the pharmacokinetics of azithromycin.

http://www.rxlist.com/zithromax-drug.htm

“Drug interaction studies were performed with azithromycin and other drugs likely to be co-administered. (See CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY-Drug-Drug Interactions.) When used in therapeutic doses, azithromycin had a modest effect on the pharmacokinetics of atorvastatin, carbamazepine, cetirizine, didanosine, efavirenz, fluconazole, indinavir, midazolam, rifabutin, sildenafil, theophylline (intravenous and oral), triazolam, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole or zidovudine. Co-administration with efavirenz, or fluconazole had a modest effect on the pharmacokinetics of azithromycin.”

It may be irrelevant, but just wondering if it's worth checking?

Peace, Maz

maz.aust
    Participant

Probiotics, probiotics, probiotics 

Then the other thing you may want to consider is your diet, amongst any other things you may be already doing, and I have included a link to an area my daughter found most helpful.  This is with regard to food groups and yeast infections. 

http://www.nutritional-healing.com.au/content/Yeast%20free%20diet.pdf

All off days Probiotics

JBJBJB
    Participant

Marie,

If you do not feel good when you are in the building, perhaps your body reacts on lack of oxygen due to, perhaps, the building does not have a good air flow. That may give you headache and sinus problem….

You may also have your lungs checked, get a baseline X-ray. Stay away from CT Scan, just a simply X-Ray…

You may also consider to pulse your zith and diflucan….

Hope you feel better soon,

JB

Marie
    Participant

Hi to the Mazzes! 🙂

I stopped the zith two days before going on the diflucan, mostly b/c I didn't want to make the yeast worse.  My dr says the zith stays in your blood for a week after you stop taking it.  I have a 10 day diflucan rx, so will have a total of four unadulterated diflucan days.  I read the messages re the Schardt Protocol and would have liked to do more of a washout, but was too uncomfortable to wait. 

I really don't want to go back on abx till I have a handle on the yeast.  Pre-abx, I was symptomatic, but still feeling pretty okay.  I even just found out that after 10 months my ANA went negative (from 160)–all with eliminating gluten and dairy!  But the yeast thing made me feel unwell. 

Tonight I got some oil of oregano and some olive leaf extract.  I've also looked at Theralac and VSL 3.    

I liked that diet link, Maz-Aust.  It was a little more forgiving than the diet I've been trying–basically meat and vegetables.  Going gluten free was nothing in comparison!

Thanks and be well!

Marie 

Marie
    Participant

Thanks, JB.

The building has a history of mold contamination.  It was remediated several years ago, and it never bothered me.  Good idea, though, re a baseline x ray for the lungs. 

So far I haven't had any respiratory symptoms, just digestive, headaches, itching and burning.

I think the air moves pretty well in there; if I shut my door my office gets hot.  I hope today was a fluke! 

Marie

maz.aust
    Participant

Know just what you mean Marie —
    You should read my diet regime given to me and insisted upon by my PR doctor !!

All off days Probiotics

Marie
    Participant

It was a better day at the office.  Whew.

JBJBJB
    Participant

Marie
    Participant

Love it!  Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘ herx? yeast?’ is closed to new replies.