Home Forums General Discussion Herx Flare?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    spfister
    Participant

Hi:

I've been on minocycline 100mg  every other day for a few weeks now.  So I increased two days ago to 100 mg twice a day.   Well today woke up to a an intense pain in the neck, and generally all over.  I am dx with RA, so is this a herx flare, since neck pain isn't typical for RA?  It didn't happen yesterday but today, two days after the increase.  Tylenol doesn't touch the pain at all.  I guess neck pain is more typical for lymes which I have decided to be tested for by Igenex, since the test my Dr. did was negative.

suggestion? 

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=2270]spfister[/user] wrote:

I've been on minocycline 100mg  every other day for a few weeks now.  So I increased two days ago to 100 mg twice a day.   Well today woke up to a an intense pain in the neck, and generally all over.  I am dx with RA, so is this a herx flare, since neck pain isn't typical for RA?  It didn't happen yesterday but today, two days after the increase.  Tylenol doesn't touch the pain at all.  I guess neck pain is more typical for lymes which I have decided to be tested for by Igenex, since the test my Dr. did was negative.

Hi Spfister,

Yes, a dosage increase from 100mg QOD to 100mg BID daily is a BIG jump, so sounds very likely to be herxing. Generally speaking, dosage increases are done a lot more slowly, because RAers tend to be pretty hypersensitive.

Also, you're right about the neck pain…not typical for RA but classic for Lyme, which is a manfestation of Lyme meningitis. Glad to hear you're getting tested at IGeneX, as AP is very different from Lyme treatments and there may be coinfections that need addressing that mino alone wouldn't cover. 😉

Peace, Maz

PS Love your avatar pic – thanks for sharing it with us!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘ Herx Flare?’ is closed to new replies.