Home Forums General Discussion Help! I need some more info…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Eggs
    Participant

Ok, I went to the dr today and he mentioned Rituxin and scleroderma. He said to look it up and that it showed great promise as far as treating sclerodrma. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this and if maybe some of you could help me look into it. So many of you are so helpful:roll-laugh: thank you guys…

One more thing, he did say studies were done Europe and it was not FDA approved in the US to treat sclero but is used here for cancer. My understanding is that it targets t and b cells.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=166]Eggs[/user] wrote:

Ok, I went to the dr today and he mentioned Rituxin and scleroderma. He said to look it up and that it showed great promise as far as treating sclerodrma. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this and if maybe some of you could help me look into it. So many of you are so helpful:roll-laugh: thank you guys…

One more thing, he did say studies were done Europe and it was not FDA approved in the US to treat sclero but is used here for cancer. My understanding is that it targets t and b cells.

Eggs, Rituxan is a pretty heavy chemotherapeutic agent, normally used for certain cancers, like leukemia and lymphoma, but also used in some AI diseases, and may suppress the immune system enough to cause life-threatening infections amongst other potentials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rituximab

You'll find a listing of the possible side-effects here:

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/rituximab-side-effects.html

Eggs, how are you doing on antibiotic therapy for your scleroderma? You've been on it for a while now and just wondering why your doctor is recommending this drug. Do you feel you are improving or have you regressed?

My best fellow patient suggestion to you, if you are not seeing an experienced AP doctor, is to get a second opinion from one, first, before you make any decisions about this drug.

Hopefully, others here who may have been or are on this drug, can share their experiences with you.

Peace, Maz

Kim
    Participant

Eggs,

I'm curious too.  I thought you were improving.  Have you plateaued?

Take care…..kim

Peach73
    Participant

Rituxan is used alot for RA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ Help! I need some more info…’ is closed to new replies.