Home Forums General Discussion help for long term user

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mlouise
    Participant

Hello,
    I have not posted in quite a few years – because I am feeling great! But I am beginning to notice a few disturbing things and I would like some advice or suggestions. I am taking mino 100 mg – twice a day MWF. I also take Pb8 probiotics every day. I also take a naturethroid 2 grain every day and Iodoral – 100gm/ 2x/day. I take Nk systematic enzyme on TTH.
    I am losing my hair! Literally!
    I am also beginning to experience bowel troubles. Sudden attacks of diarrhea. Could it be that I have not changed the probiotic in 8 years? If so could someone recommend another good choice to use with the Pb8.

What about the hair loss? It seems to be a protein issue which makes sense. I began to take Biotin last winter – a protein supplement for hair, skin and nails – but possibly this is not able to be absorbed because of gut issues.

I have systemic scleroderma.
    I am 60 years old and I have had scleroderma for at least 9 years and been on Mino for 8 years with great results.
    Also could there be issues with candida?

Any suggestions or helps would be greatly appreciated.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi mlouise,

First thought that came to mind is that biotin interferes with thyroid meds and causes inaccurate thyroid blood tests. Of course, many things can affect thyroid med absorption, too, not just biotin (e.g., calcium, change in thyroid medication brand, diet, if labs are drawn before or after meds are taken, etc), but hair loss and loose stools are classic hyper symptoms.

Endocrine News: Beware of Biotin

Do you rotate your probiotics and get screened for candida occasionally? One interesting thing about minocycline is that it does have some anti-candida effects in research I’ve scone across, but you might want to connect with Pinkmoth here as she’s found monolaurin helpful.

The Stop the Thyroid Madness website is a good resource for helping to figure out what may be leading to thyroid imbalance – things like low Vit D, low B12, iron-deficiency anemia, inflammation, cortisone use and adrenal stress etc. Worth taking a browse of the site! These are co-factors that influence results for many rheumatics. Thyroid imbalances, for instance, can leave one vulnerable to infections.

Pinkmoth
    Keymaster

Yes, I’d be interested in new thyroid labs if this were happening to me – maybe that could help give some insight as to what’s going on.

A gastroenterologist might be able to test for candida. If you don’t think SIBO is an issue (which again a gastro person might be able to help you determine that or not) it’s possible that you could notice a difference if you changed your probiotic intake.
    I found that eating probiotic-rich foods like kefir and fermented vegetebles had a different effect on my gut than taking capsules alone. Not saying better or worse just noticed differences.
    It seems there are a really wide range of bacteria that our guts like to have, moreso perhaps than a capsule alone can deliver.

Autoimmune: ANA positive speckled. Probable MCTD with SD overlap. Hashimoto's. Possible Erlos Danlos. Mold Illness.
    Infections: Bartonella, toxoplasmosis, mycoplasma, EBV
    Meds: minocycline (Zydus generic) 100mg 1x daily,
    Supps: digestive enzymes, Monolaurin, Betaine hydrochloric acid, iron, quercetin, biocidin

Spiffy1

In researching Minocyclene side effects one internet site did mention hair loss as a side effect. My hair was falling out steadily during my flare before starting antibiotics. It is much better now but I still feel like my hair is thinner. The good news is that I have always had extremely thick hair so it probably appears more normal. It could also be due to age and hormones as well. But hair loss can be a side effect from many medicines.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

monmar
    Participant

Hi mlouise,

In regards to your bowl troubles, I would recommend getting a gut analysis test through Genova Diagnostics or any such lab that tests your stool. These tests show you exactly what bacteria you are missing/ high in which could be contributing to diarrhea. Their stool analysis also checks for candida!
    Also, yes its important to switch the probiotics as each brand offers a certain amount/ strain of bacteria and your gut needs variety! I have begun using coconut kefir that is potent in bacteria to maintain my gut. What I have also found to be helpful is this product: https://shop.restore4life.com
    This product helps to create a friendly environment in your gut so that the good bacteria can flourish! You can also purchase it off amazon.
    In terms of hair loss and the sort, I’ve been relying a lot on collagen which is super important for the maintenance of good bones, nails, skin, hair and can help improve digestion! The brand I use is called Vital Proteins, if you’re interested you can find it easily just with a google search!
    Hope this helps 🙂

Monika

vinny
    Participant

Through the years I have had increasing digestive issues. My acid reflux, particularly positional, have been constant over the last 6 months. Loose stool is also an issue. Elimination diet has not located any specific food or supplement as being the cause. I have gone gluten free for the last 3 weeks which seems to be heading me in a positive direction. My digestion and stool have become normal for me and reflux is becoming less of a problem. It is not uncommon for people with an auto-immune disease to also have Celiac disease. Nutrient absorption is impaired and skin and hair can be affected. The blood work and biopsy require you to be on gluten in order to check for the antibody response to gluten. Celiacs has no drug cure and the only treatment is going gluten free. It can take months or years to heal the small intestine.

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

I am also beginning to experience bowel troubles. Sudden attacks of diarrhea. Could it be that I have not changed the probiotic in 8 years? If so could someone recommend another good choice to use with the Pb8.

A good addition to PB 8 would be a probiotic that contains Saccharomyces boulardii, a “friendly” species of yeast. However, you may want to avoid brands that contain MOS, as that can cause gas. I like the Now Foods brand. Now Foods also sells another probiotic that I like a lot called Gr8-Dophilus.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

I also take a naturethroid 2 grain every day and Iodoral

Why are you taking Iodoral? Did a doctor prescribe it?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

mlouise
    Participant

Thanks everyone for you help! Sorry it has taken me so long to respond.
    Thank you for the tip about Biotin. I have stopped using it now.
    Thanks also for the help with possible probiotics. I am going to purchase the Gr8 Dophilus for now.
    I have been gluten-free for 8 years – since the onset of SD because of gut issues and also inability to swallow dense things.
    I am also going to look up the vital proteins that were suggested. I am REALLY concerned about the hair loss. I think that it may be related to the proteins not being able to be absorbed in the intestines. Does anyone know of anything that could be used topically for hair loss? That way the gut can be avoided.
    The SD Doctor that I saw in Philadelphia back in 2010 recommended the Iodoral as well as the Naturethroid. So I have been taking it ever since. Do you think that it could be causing issues?
    I admit that I have not gone to a doctor or had any labs done since 2013. I did have a doctor friend give me an IV 1 week dose of Clindamycin in 2013 and than he prescribed it in pill form in 2014, but I have not had anything else done. He also gives the prescription for the Mino and I get the Naturethyroid from the doctor in Philly over the phone.
    I really hate going to the doctor.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

The SD Doctor that I saw in Philadelphia back in 2010 recommended the Iodoral as well as the Naturethroid. So I have been taking it ever since. Do you think that it could be causing issues?

One of the things that bothers me about Iodoral is that, in addition to potassium iodide, it contains elemental iodine. That’s the form of iodine used to make tincture of iodine, and it’s not the form of iodine that our bodies need. It’s a disinfectant. Also, by taking Iodoral you are getting a rather large dose of iodine.

Curious to know if there had been any clinical research involving Iodoral, I searched PubMed and found this:

Over-the-counter-drug-induced thyroid disorders.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.