Home Forums General Discussion Has anyone succeeded in curbing their Raynaud's with natural approaches?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    JOJO19551
    Participant

I take grape seed extract, 200 mg per day which is a high dose.  The rule of thumb is to take 50 mg for every 50 pounds of weight (and I do not weigh 200 pounds).  This and the use of the infrared sauna, which I swear by, made my raynauds very minor.  I still have swollen knuckles but that is okay.  My hands are not purple.  Both the grape seed and sauna help increase circulation.  I am no longer cold all the time which is very pleasant.  JoAnn

SusanSD
    Participant

I found a research study that reported improvements in Raynaud's after patients were given N-acetylcysteine via IV. I just take the NAC capsules (one per day) and I do think that my Raynaud's is better year after year.

My hands are no longer purplish and mottled-looking. I can wash my hands in cold water for over a minute before they start to look a little pale. Before, just walking around in a heated house would turn my hands white. My index fingers were most affected, followed by the middle fingers.

I tried accupuncture for a year and while it didn't make things worse, it didn't really stop the SD symptoms.

Good luck!

chosen
    Participant

Hey Kim,

Where did you get the sauna and the neprinol?

JBJBJB
    Participant

[user=1614]chosen[/user] wrote:

Hey Kim,

I am not Kim.

I got my sauna from Amazon. You could also find it from

http://www.nationalpoolwholesalers.com/saunas.asp

I got a portable one which works well. It also save a tons of electricity.

JB

JBJBJB
    Participant

[user=52]Susan(SD)[/user] wrote:

I found a research study that reported improvements in Raynaud's after patients were given N-acetylcysteine via IV. I just take the NAC capsules (one per day) and I do think that my Raynaud's is better year after year.

It depends on the alpha level the research set up. Perhaps there were two reasons you did not get expected improvement. One could be you might belong to the part of 5% people who did not get the good response with this drug. The other reason perhaps you used capsulse instead of IV. 

chosen
    Participant

Thanks JB!

jasonjuul
    Participant

Hi Tracy,

I'm a little late to this thread but I picked up this book called over the summer called “Connective Tissue Diseases Holistic Therapy Options” by Hannelore Helbing-Sheafe, Ph.D, that has quite a few recommendations for Secondary Raynaud's. Here are some of the author's recommendations:

• Vitamin E d-alpha[/*:33gcj988]
    • Hawthorn Berry Extract[/*:33gcj988]
    • Evening Primrose Oil[/*:33gcj988]
    • CoenzymeQ10[/*:33gcj988]
    • Acidophilus[/*:33gcj988]
    • Dimethylglycine (D.M.G.)[/*:33gcj988]
    • Kelp[/*:33gcj988]
    • Alfalfa[/*:33gcj988]
    • Superoxide Dismutase (S.O.D.)[/*:33gcj988]
    • Ginkgo Biloba[/*:33gcj988]
    • Cayenne[/*:33gcj988]
    • Ascorbic Acid[/*:33gcj988]

I can try and scan the relevant pages and post them if you're interested.

Good Luck,
    John

Kim
    Participant

[user=1614]chosen[/user] wrote:

Hey Kim,

Hey Chosen,

My sauna is from http://www.saunex.com.  I chose this one because I wanted my head exposed and justified the price by knowing I'd be using it for many years down the road.  It is also easy to clean.

I just bought a bottle of Neprinol from http://www.vitacost.com.  Seems most online companies sell it for close to list price so I usually try to find one with a deal on shipping and order all supplements at once.  So far I've had really good luck with ordering from them.

Take care…….kim

chosen
    Participant

Thanks for the info. While surfing the net for saunas one site said that Dr. Oz is going to talk about infrared spas on Jan. 6th.

mschmidt
    Participant

My LLMD has me on Arginine to try to help with Raynaud's.  I've taken it for less than a month so, no feedback yet as to whether it's helping significantly or not.  I have noticed (before taking any supplements) that my Raynaud's improved since my clindy iv's. I live in Chicago, and the winters are not pleasant at all! This is my 3rd winter with RS, and no ulcers whatsoever. 🙂 Here are some links I found about Raynaud's and L-Arginine

http://content.nhiondemand.com/psv/HC3.asp?objID=100687&cType=hc

http://www.springerlink.com/content/nnql1wg183u323xv/

http://www.lef.org/protocols/heart_circulatory/raynauds_syndrome_01.htm

Maria

Alli
    Participant

Hi Kim,

My question is with Neprinol.  I was looking at the vitacost website and see that it is very expensive.  What I was wondering is if I can get Neprinol by prescription?  It would be better for me financially if it came as a presciption drug as we have two insurances. 

I'd love to start on it soon!  I have been reading the great results you and Maz have had.  My raynauds aren't excruciatingly painful but there is pressure under my nails which can be irritating and somewhat uncomfortable.  I do have pain when my extremities become cold, which doesn't take much and also have a hard time keeping them warm.  Living in South Dakota isn't ideal for raynauds, but like I posted earlier hopefully this will be my last winter here!  I don't think my blood has ever been tested for thickness.  Luckily, I do not have a problem with needles in my veins, which is great as I have monthly blood draws.  I do drink an awful lot of water, which I believe is helpful.   

I have had low iron for quite a few months, my blood panel counts are pretty low in the iron department but slowly and steadily rising.  I do take iron supplements 2 twice a day.  I was tested for iron absorption in October, that was low too, I will have that redone in April.

The doctors have told me that the Cellcept, Tracleer and Lasix can all cause iron deficiencies.  My family dr. did decrease my lasix from 80 mg to 60 mg a day but I am not able to do that with the other two right now. 

Any information you can offer me in regard to prescription Neprinol would be great, thanks!!

Alli

ps….Maz, if you are reading this thanks to you for your advice and support.  It's hard sometimes to thank everyone personally – truth is you're all amazing!

Kim
    Participant

Hi Alli,

Sorry I don't know of a prescription equivalent to Neprinol, but you might print the ingredient list and ask the pharmacist. I also take Creon which does require a prescription, it is also enzymes just fewer. Let us know what you find out because it might help others out also.

Take care…..kim

Alli
    Participant

Thanks Kim,

I will be researching it soon – thanks!

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘ Has anyone succeeded in curbing their Raynaud's with natural approaches?’ is closed to new replies.