Home Forums General Discussion Hand swollen and hurting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DAR
    Participant

I am having trouble with my right hand swelling and hurting all the time this started about 2 weeks after my iv predisone treatment, I use to take these treatments every week and now my dr has changed them to every 3 weeks is this from the change in the predisone treatments or is it a sign that the scleroderma is flaring?:angry:

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=387]DAR[/user] wrote:

I am having trouble with my right hand swelling and hurting all the time this started about 2 weeks after my iv predisone treatment, I use to take these treatments every week and now my dr has changed them to every 3 weeks is this from the change in the predisone treatments or is it a sign that the scleroderma is flaring?:angry:

Hi DAR,

I'm not an expert on this, but I would think that the reduction of your prednisone from weekly IVs to 3-weekly IVs is quite a big drop and you are likely suffering some rebound flaring. So probably both…change of dosing and flaring, as a result.

I haven't heard of many here having IV prednisone, but if you're suffering it might not be a bad idea to speak with your prescribing physician and ask if you can lower your doses a little more slowly. I don't know much about IV predinsone (its half life, doses, reasons for its use, etc)…are you using it for a particular reason as opposed to taking oral prednisone? Just wonder if orals might be easier to to wean from over time?

Peace, Maz

DAR
    Participant

Thanks for the replay, I think that the dr put me on the iv's because it is easier on my stomach, right now I take prilosec 2x every day to keep the acid down, but with my hand hurting the way it does I think I would rather put up with more stomach acid than this,

Thanks Darlene

superperroRA
    Participant

I recently learned that Voltaren is available as suppositories. This might be an option for people like you in danger of GI bleeding. Better than prednisone, in my opinion

Rockin Annie
    Participant

Hi Dar,

I don't know if this will help at all, but I am weaning off pred, I was on 5mg and wean 1/4 of a mg every 2 weeks and even that small amount I go through hell with my wrists.  I am only down to 3 1/2 but will keep on till I am off it completely.

Just wanted to let you know just how even small amounts of weaning can effect you.

Hope you can get to the bottom of your pain…………..Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

Randy
    Participant

Hi DAR,

Sounds like you are getting some decent advice here.  I might add that Dr. F. told me that Prednisone is VERY BAD for SD. Forgive me, but I don't know any more than this.  You may want to research this, or maybe someone will chime in who can speak more knowledgeably.

Randy

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ Hand swollen and hurting’ is closed to new replies.