Home Forums Personal History and Progress Threads Grace’s story-diagnosed at 18 months with JRA

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    momto3
    Participant

Grace is now 10 years old and we are just starting on a new path in our lives that we hope will be of benefit to her and the rest of her family who loves her so much. Grace was diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis at the young age of 18 months. I have a background in rehabilitation medicine and watched as she started to limp and lock her knees and eventually spike a high temperature of 104. Following this fever, she continued to worsen and eventually would not walk at all. Because she was so young, we relied on her ability to sign to us and tell us that she was in pain.

We were able to see our pediatrician who referred us to Children’s Seattle to see a pediatric rheumatologist. Grace has been under the care of this clinic since. Grace has been through the “standard” course of treatment for children with JRA, including many NSAIDS, a short course of methotrexate and enbrel. None of them have been successful in treating her disease. We have also seen naturopaths who have looked at diet and potential allergens. Allergy testing has not shown any allergens to food, just slight sensitivities. She has also undergone acupuncture and herbs with some short-lived relief.

As Grace has grown older, she has continued to have pain and inflammation in her knees, ankles, subtalar joints. Just last year we were disappointed to watch as the disease progressed to her hips and shoulders. She is a very physically fit little girl, thanks to the wonderful sport of swimming. She swims 4+ times per week and says that, “it’s her medicine”.

Just recently I was reading a book by Dr. Brownstein about Antibiotic treatment of rheumatic disease and am hopeful that this course of treatment can help Grace. I will be talking to Dr. Sinnot in Iowa tomorrow.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The forum ‘Personal History and Progress Threads’ is closed to new topics and replies.