Home Forums General Discussion going off methotrexate

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lizbeth
    Participant

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone was on methotrexate before starting AP?  Did you continue to use this?  If not how did you stop e.g. cold turkey or slowly reduced dosage?  I have been given Naprosyn for pain killers as needed (can this still be used when on AP for pain relief?  Sorry, a lot of question I know!  :blush:

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

lizbeth,

The most common AP drug, minocycline has actually had clinical trials done in combination with methotrexate.  You can look for the O'Dell studies under the “Studies” section of the RBF website.  It is best that you speak to your doctor about a plan to taper off of methotrexate, if that is what you choose.  Because it is likely providing some immunosuppression, and thus symptom relief, I personally wouldn't think it wise to stop cold turkey.  Many patients who have posted on this forum over the years have started AP while on methotrexate, weaning from the methotrexate slowly as they feel their symptoms subside.

Others with personal experience in this will surely reply.

Cheryl

lizbeth
    Participant

Thanks Cheryl, I wasn't sure it would be as effective if still on Methotrexate.

Cheryl F
    Keymaster

[user=2095]lizbeth[/user] wrote:

Thanks Cheryl, I wasn't sure it would be as effective if still on Methotrexate.

It probably won't be as effective, but we have a saying around here, kill the bugs not the patient!  So if you are already on this drug, in my opinion, stopping cold turkey could do much more harm, to your ability to undertake the AP treatment.  Dr. Brown was even known to use prednisone to cut down the inflammation so the antibiotics could reach their target.  It may not be as effective as if you had never been on the methotrexate, but that is not the situation, so you must start from where you are now.

See Maz' post on your other thread, I ditto what she says!

Cheryl

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Lizbethas requested, I have emailed you the list of AP docs in Australia and some additional info.

This is a hard question to answer and there are varying points of view. The statement below is taken from the Historical Protocol information available at our main site. However, before deciding which way to go, you may want to wait until you have found an AP doctor you are happy to work with, then to ask his or her advice on this.

<span style="color: black]If the patient has been or is still on strong antirheumatic drugs (especially those which tend to build up in the liver like methotrexate or gold) or drugs which sensitize the digestive tract, a washout period of 4 to 6 weeks might be considered to avoid a reaction such as colitis. Low dose (<10 mg) prednisone can be used to maintain the patient during washout.[/color”>

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=184#Anchor-Washout-48213

[/quote][/color]There is alot of very useful information in the Education section at our main site (press Home above to acess). But I'd start with the book (mentioned by others and in my email) to give myself a really good understanding of this approach to treatment. Lynnie  

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ going off methotrexate’ is closed to new replies.