Home Forums General Discussion gluten free minocycline

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    frhorngal
    Participant

For folks following a gluten free diet along with AP, it might be worth checking your mino prescription. I just re-started treatment and was given tablets this time…a lot of my 'glutening' symptoms started to re-appear and I couldn't figure out why since I am extremely cautious about it. Turns out, my tablets had a wheat base!! Apparently the capsules are gluten/casein free so I'm off to the pharmacy for my new script!

RA/Lyme: 100mg Minocin (brand) MWF, 3mg LDN, 10mg CBD- BID

Maz
    Keymaster

Very helpful info, Frhorngal. Would you kindly you share the name of this generic tablet for others who might be interested?

Thanks! 🙂

Peace, Maz

Roz
    Participant

Thanks for sharing, I try to be gluten free as well. It makes a person wonder what other meds. have gluten.

Roz

Kim
    Participant

Well, there's an argument to get insurance companies to spring for brand name. 😉  Thanks for the post.

Take care…..kim

frhorngal
    Participant

I don't know offhand which brand, but I will be sure to check with the pharmacist when I pick up my new prescription…

PhilC
    Participant

Hi frhorngal,

What is written on the tablets? There should be some letters and/or numbers.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Peach73
    Participant

The company name will be on the bottle…it might be written small…usually on the front…

frhorngal
    Participant

It is made by Dr. Reddy's. It will probably work fine for anyone who is not gluten/corn intolerant but for those with sensitivities, they may want to look into a capsule.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi frhorngal,

I did a little research on the minocycline tablets made by Dr. Reddy's, and could not find any obvious evidence that they contain wheat. What kind of symptoms returned when you started taking the Dr. Reddy's tablets?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

frhorngal
    Participant

Sorry if this is TMI, but I had extreme gas and bloating beginning an hour or so after each dose (MWF) and not on T/Thu/S/Sun. My pharmacist said that it may contain wheat and based on my gluten sensitivities, she recommended switching me to a known gluten free brand…just going off of my experience and her knowledge.

PhilC
    Participant

[user=414]frhorngal[/user] wrote:

Sorry if this is TMI, but I had extreme gas and bloating beginning an hour or so after each dose (MWF) and not on T/Thu/S/Sun.

Hi frhorngal,

That's what I suspected. The major inactive ingredient in those tablets is lactose. I'd be willing to bet that it was the cause of your GI discomfort.

See:
    MINOCYCLINE HYDROCHLORIDE tablet, film coated [Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Limited]

I just checked a bunch of different brands of generic minocycline capsules, and they all contain magnesium stearate and cornstarch as fillers. Minocin, on the other hand, uses microcrystalline cellulose. I am glad I researched this because now I know that I cannot take generic minocycline capsules. Within the last year or so I developed a sensitivity to corn, and it seems to apply to cornstarch as well.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

frhorngal
    Participant

That could do it too! Wonder why she told me there was gluten in it- anyways- thanks for your research!

Peach73
    Participant

some meds do have gluten in them…so you need to check all your meds.  I had bought lactobacillus for my probiotic since I am on AP.  It caused lots of bloating!  I found out it contained milk!  I have no problems with the Walgreens brand super biotic.  Yes, gluten can be hidden in meds.:doh:

richie
    Participant

Hi—Indian generics is like rolling the dice —if one takes generic it might be beneficial to try and request Teva –or Watson or for that matter any other domestic company —
    richie

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘ gluten free minocycline’ is closed to new replies.