Home Forums General Discussion Gluten & Dairy Free

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lizbeth
    Participant

Hi All,  I spoke to my naturopath over the phone and booked an appointment for a few weeks time.  She has advised me to expect to go on a gluten and dairy free diet.  Yikes, I love my food and although I am prepared to try I must admit I am a little dissapointed.  Has anyone else embarked on this diet? 

Thanks, Lizbeth

P.S. when I said that I don't have any reaction to these foods she replied “if you have RA then you have a reaction”  Good point!!  lol

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Lizbeth – there will be alot of people here who will respond in the affirmative that THAT question!!

Just want to say that what might work for some in the U.S. will not necessarily translate to what's available over here. Once you have had your appointment and know what you need to avoid, I can help you with alot of info (I see the same naturopath and doc and have been gluten and dairy free for over 2 years….plus alot more). It may seem hard at first, but we have the luxury of lots of product choice in the major cities in Australia – and LW will give you advice about those (she keeps loads of samples in her office!). You'll be fine. :DLynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

heatherbell
    Participant

Hi Lizbeth,

It seems us Aussies are seeing the same natropath and Dr.  I too, am disembarking on the gluten and dairy free diet.  I am a bugger for the condiments such as chilli etc. but after a few months you get to know what is upsetting your stomach with those incessant rumbles (even after you've eaten).  I still find it hard whilst at work but am trying my best because I know it is important.  I hate the taste of soy milk but love rice milk = so there are alternatives out there.  We might have to start swapping recipes!  LW and KD are great with their advice. 

orchid
    Participant

Hi Lizbeth,

I just commented to someone else about this. It IS possible. I'm vegetarian, gluten-free and somewhat dairy free – I do still consume cheeses. When at home, I normally eat dairy free.

Take it one day at a time – make lists of your favorite foods and try to find ways to enjoy them, minus gluten/dairy. There are lots of great g-free pastas, bread, etc out there. Almond milk is delicious. It just takes a little more time and prep AND if you can get your family on board — it helps a lot. Clear out an area in your fridge and pantry for JUST g-free/dairy free items and stock a lot of snacks, etc.

There are lots of great sites and books out there to peruse. Again, one day at a time and keep reminding yourself that FOOD IS POWER! It's one of those things you CAN control which to me is very powerful.

Hang in there — it will be less overwhelming and depressing as time goes by, especially when you start to notice a difference in your joints.

My doctor's theory is gluten is just one of the causes of autoimmune disease and by cutting it out – your body can finally heal.

Wayne
    Participant

Hi Lizbeth,

I Live in Perth and are seeing the same Naturopath and Dr from Vic. You guessed it – it seems I'm sensitive to everything and on the same proposed diet (5 weeks now). I'm very happy to persevere because already I can see a marked improvement in my condition. Boy do I miss the yummy stuff still, but in time we will love the new style of eating. When it is all weighed up, it is so worth while to feel better.

All the best with your appointment.

Wayne

Systemic Sclerosis....rapid onset 2010.
    Started AP January 2011.
    Multiple meds during treatment, including IV Clindamycin every 2 months for 5 days.
    Now.....disease in remission....meds: Mimomycin, Clindamycin IM 3 monthly,
    5 days Azithromycin 6 monthly.
    Very well now....enjoying life.

lizbeth
    Participant

thanks to all replies, it's nice to know I'm not alone.  Lizbeth

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ Gluten & Dairy Free’ is closed to new replies.