Home Forums General Discussion Ginger information

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jennhere
    Participant

Anti-Inflammatory Effects

Ginger contains very potent anti-inflammatory compounds called gingerols. These substances are believed to explain why so many people with osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis experience reductions in their pain levels and improvements in their mobility when they consume ginger regularly. In two clinical studies involving patients who responded to conventional drugs and those who didn't, physicians found that 75% of arthritis patients and 100% of patients with muscular discomfort experienced relief of pain and/or swelling.

Arthritis-related problems with your aging knees? Regularly spicing up your meals with fresh ginger may help, suggests a study published in a recent issue of Osteoarthritis Cartilage. In this twelve month study, 29 patients with painful arthritis in the knee (6 men and 23 women ranging in age from 42-85 years) participated in a placebo-controlled, double-blind, crossover study. Patients switched from placebo to ginger or visa versa after 3 months. After six months, the double-blind code was broken and twenty of the patients who wished to continue were followed for an additional six months.
    By the end of the first six month period, those given ginger were experiencing significantly less pain on movement and handicap than those given placebo. Pain on movement decreased from a score of 76.14 at baseline to 41.00, while handicap decreased from 73.47 to 46.08. In contrast, those who were switched from ginger to placebo experienced an increase in pain of movement (up to 82.10) and handicap (up to 80.80) from baseline. In the final phase of the study when all patients were getting ginger, pain remained low in those already taking ginger in phase 2, and decreased again in the group that had been on placebo.
    Not only did participants' subjective experiences of pain lessen, but swelling in their knees, an objective measurement of lessened inflammation, dropped significantly in those treated with ginger. The mean target knee circumference in those taking ginger dropped from 43.25cm when the study began to 39.36cm by the 12th week. When this group was switched to placebo in the second phase of the study, their knee circumferences increased, while those who had been on placebo but were now switched to ginger experienced a decrease in knee circumference. In the final phase, when both groups were given ginger, mean knee circumference continued to drop, reaching lows of 38.78 and 36.38 in the two groups.
    How does ginger work its anti-inflammatory magic? Two other recent studies provide possible reasons.
    A study published in the November 2003 issue of Life Sciences suggests that at least one reason for ginger's beneficial effects is the free radical protection afforded by one of its active phenolic constituents, 6-gingerol. In this in vitro (test tube) study, 6-gingerol was shown to significantly inhibit the production of nitric oxide, a highly reactive nitrogen molecule that quickly forms a very damaging free radical called peroxynitrite. Another study appearing in the November 2003 issue of Radiation Research found that in mice, five days treatment with ginger (10 mg per kilogram of body weight) prior to exposure to radiation not only prevented an increase in free radical damage to lipids (fats found in numerous bodily components from cell membranes to cholesterol), but also greatly lessened depletion of the animals' stores of glutathione, one of the body's most important internally produced antioxidants.

A study published in the February 2005 issue of the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine sheds further light on the mechanisms of action that underlie ginger's anti-inflammatory effectiveness. In this research, ginger was shown to suppress the pro-inflammatory compounds (cytokines and chemokines) produced by synoviocytes (cells comprising the synovial lining of the joints), chrondrocytes (cells comprising joint cartilage) and leukocytes (immune cells).

Here is the link if you're interested:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=72

I make a homemade ginger ale.  It's very simple.  Boil one large unpeeled, but cut up, ginger root in about three cups of water.  Add 1/3 cup sugar.  Cool.  Fill a glass with ice pour some seltzer water in then add the cooled ginger water.  A squeeze of lime if you're into it ..I am. 

You can also use the hot ginger water as a straight up nighttime tea.  It's good for kids if they're feeling sick.  We're not sick tonight, but we had some homemade ginger ale this evening.  It was great.

Jenn

DianeWI
    Participant

Hi Jenn,

You could add honey instead of sugar.

I used to fill empty capsules with ginger powder and take two every couple of hours when I traveled by air.  It keeps the nausea in check.

Diane

Jennhere
    Participant

My kids don't like the honey in it.  I tried stevia and tossed it…:sick:  I like stevia on SOME things… but not much. 

I try not to use much sugar and I'm really low, low sugar.. I think I'll keep the sugar in this drink. 

Jenn

Sierra
    Participant

The homemade ginger ale sounds yummy–I'm going to try it.

Sierra

JBJBJB
    Participant

Jenn,

I have a winter hot ginger drink recipe almost like yours…. it helps with my Raynaud's, cramps, and mood…

A big piece of fresh ginger, cut into slices, add 2 cup of water, bring to boil.  2 to 3 table spoon of dark brown sugar. Drink it like hot tea. Brown sugar works its magic.

Bill
    Participant

The ginger ale sounds excellent on several counts. I wonder if xylitol would work with it? No carbs (sugar alcohal) very sweet like sugar and it has an anti-bacterial  action. Either way I'm trying it. Thanks.

Be well.
    Bill

Jennhere
    Participant

I'm glad others are interested.  It's really good.  Don't be afraid to try it.. It's also cheeeeeaaap.  Which is nice in these trying economic times!  You need to get all the nutrition you can out of anything you buy to eat or drink.  Ginger root is inexpensive but very flavorful and healthy.

Jenn

Serenity
    Participant

Oooh – thanks for the recipe – it sounds like a great summertime drink!   :roll-laugh:

I sprinkle some turmeric in my ginger tea to double the anti-inflammatory aspects.   I've read that the combo of ginger and turmeric is wonderful.  I've also heard that Holy Basil is another great anti-inflammatory.  If I can find it cheap, I may add that to the tea as well (tea is very medicinal for me, so I'm not too concerned about taste).

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Jen and all,

Iv'e been adding a hunk of ginger (skin and all for blending, before straining) to my Lemon/Olive oil detox drink every night. The combo of lemon and ginger is really lovely, I find. 😀 The homemade ginger ale sounds wonderful, Jen. Thanks for sharing!

Peace, Maz

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ Ginger information’ is closed to new replies.