Home Forums General Discussion getting lyme under control

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    WAYNE HARGREAVES
    Participant

Hi,

I  hope  some  of  you  can  help,  Im  in  bad  pain  at  the  moment,  was  doing  really  quite  well  on  200mg  of  Minocycline  and  300mg  of  Rifampicin,  I  have  had  bad  flareups  that  seem  to  last  nearly  every  day  at t he  moment,  Ive  also  been  taking  Diclofenic  but  had  come  off  it  a  while  ago.
    This  week  i  had  a  steriod  depo  medrone injection,  in  the  past  this  has  settled  everything  down  and  been  pain  free  for  about  2  months,  but  it  is  not  working  at  all  at t he  moment.
    My  pain  is  on  the  top of  my  left  foot  between  ankle  and  toes,  sometimes  it  does  go  under  my  foot  as  it   completely  seizes  up  with  redness  and  gets  hot.  Is  this  herxing  or  something  else  ?,  Dr  D  at   Breakspear  thought  i  had  co-infection   Bartonella,  but  he  is  now  wondering  what  is  best,  and  suggesting  more  food  antigen  tests ( more  money  ),  really  thing  Rifampicin  has  settled  my  shoulder  pain  down  but  not  my  foot,  any  ideas  greatly  needed,  with  thanks  im  in  agony.

Wayne 

Trudi
    Participant

[user=1876]WAYNE HARGREAVES[/user] wrote:

My  pain  is  on  the  top of  my  left  foot  between  ankle  and  toes,  sometimes  it  does  go  under  my  foot  as  it   completely  seizes  up  with  redness  and  gets  hot.  Is  this  herxing  or  something  else  ?

Hi Wayne–

This sounds like it could be gout.

I'm sorry your are in such pain.  I think you have got a lot of company.  I'm working my way up to my full dose of treatment and hurting all the way.  I've started to do very easy stretching exercises and using my recumbant bike to strengthen my body, which, however,  has added to my pain.  At the moment I wonder if there is something else going on????? too–1 1/2 years into treatment, I would like to be a bit further than this.

Sorry for the rant–:doh:.

Hope you get some relief–

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

WAYNE HARGREAVES
    Participant

Hi  Trudi,

Thanks  for  replying,  they  did  say  i  had  gout  years  ago,  then  decided  was  palindromic  rhematisum,  now  lyme.  Feel  like  just  going  round  in  circles. I  had  gout  treatment  and  was   still  getting   flare  ups:headbang:

just  need  something  to  get  it  under  control,  take  care  Trudi,  hope  you  also  have  better  results

Wayne

Trudi
    Participant

just  need  something  to  get  it  under  control

Hi Wayne–

Indomethacin does the trick for me–

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Trudi,

I have been at it for 28 months now and I still have issues. This physical therapy is rough, but hopefully this will help with the upper body strength. I am finally getting off the floor by myself. Just keep on taking your meds and stay slow, yes sometimes time seems to stay still when we want to hurry up and get well.

Eva:D

Eva Holloway

Maz
    Keymaster

This  week  i  had  a  steriod  depo  medrone injection,  in  the  past  this  has  settled  everything  down  and  been  pain  free  for  about  2  months,  but  it  is  not  working  at  all  at t he  moment.

Hi Wayne,

Very sorry to hear you're having a rough time. Unfortunately, this is pretty par for the course with Lyme/coinfections and herxing and worsening of symptoms is to be expected. This is actually how Lyme docs gauge whether a particular abx is working or not. :crying: So sorry to be the bearer of this news.

Did Dr D give you the depo medrone injection? Unfortunately, this is a corticosteroid medication and is contraindicated for Lyme. 🙁 The bugs will be loving the immune-suppression, which could well be why it didn't work. Most LLMDs will advise against any form of immunesuppression. You can, however, safely take anti-inflam meds, if kept to a minimum to protect your gut….I know how the pain of PRA can be pretty rough, as I went through it before it evolved into all-out RA.

It's going to take time to work through these herxes, Wayne. Re: the food antigen tests, you really have to go with your own gut on this – we're all different and we each have our own triggers. I've personally tried to keep my focus on detoxing, eating as healthy as possible and cutting out the usual offenders, slowing down to heal and, if necessary, asking for something to help relieve the pain that is not immunosuppressive. Low dose naltrexone is now being used by Lyme docs over here and I don't know if Dr. D would rx it to you, but it might be worth looking into to help boost your immune function a bit. Here is a site to learn more:

http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/ 

Another Lyme med that helps with inflam is plaquenil. This is also used in the treatment of protozoan infections, like babesia, a common coinfection of Lyme. It takes a few months to fully kick in, but you might find it helpful and Dr. D would be able to prescribe this for you, provided it doesn't interact with anything else you're taking.

Hope something here might be of help to you, Wayne. Hang in there…it's very early days for you, right now…only a couple weeks in on the Rifampin and the timing is pretty on the mark for herxing. Just be sure to report all your symptoms to Dr D, as he may be able to adjust things to make your herxing more tolerable.

Peace, Maz

WAYNE HARGREAVES
    Participant

Hi  Maz,

Great  to  hear  from  you,  Yes  dr  d  told  my  gp  to  give  the  steroid  injection, he  may  of  wanted  me  to  just  get  up  and  about,  last  time  they  worked  well,  cant  beleive  it  prob  made  the  bugs  harder  to  flush  out,   maybe  like  you  said  the  Rifampicin  is  starting  to  work  but  just  cut  that  to  300mg,  i  do  feel  what  you  and  others  are  telling  me  that  i  am  herxing,  but  the  pain  in  the  joint  is  worse  than  the  pain  i  have  from  flare  ups,  at  the  moment  i  seem  to  be  changing  the  dose  of  everything  all  the  time,  to  see  what  i  can  tolerate  without  still  affecting  me  getting  about,  maybe  i should  drop to  100mg  of  mino  again.
    It  is  true.  isnt  this  herxing   terrible,  you  did  warn  me,  maybe  expected  to  much  to  soon.
    Also  i  suppose  the  ticks  could  of  done  me  alot  of  damage,  a  long  time  ago.
    I  do  try  to  eat  healthy,  always  fresh  dinners,  my  downfall  is  i  have   sweet  tooth  and  crave  sugary  things,  will  try  and  cut  biscuits  out, Also  my  mother  in  law  is  a  brilliant  cook,  but  everything  Italian  usually  has  a  tomato  base  or  sauce  involved  and  i  am  not  sure  if  eating  this  brings  flare  ups  on  or  not,  ive  stopped  eating  her  food,  but  still  get  flare  ups, maybe  it  has  nothing  to  do  with  her  cooking,  really  confused  at  moment  what  to  eat :(.

will  go  through  your  advice  as  always  see  what  the  gp  can  help  with,  take  care  to  Maz:cool:,  you  really  do  help.

Wayne

WAYNE HARGREAVES
    Participant

HI,

cant  get  of  hold  of  dr  d  at  Breakspear,  so  my  own  gp  has told  me  to  take  diclofenic  and  codeine  phosphate  to  the  max,  to  try  and  tide  me  over  until  things  settle  down,  really  hope  im  not  putting  off  getting  better  quicker  with  all  these  different  things.

Wayne

Trudi
    Participant

[user=236]Eva Holloway[/user] wrote:

yes sometimes time seems to stay still when we want to hurry up and get well.

Hi Eva–

Thanks for the words of encouragement!!

Although my knees aren't as swollen as at the beginning, they are still too swollen to get down on the floor–I wonder if I could get up from off the floor :).  When I started seeing Dr. M it was my wish to be able to crawl after my grandson-to-be; he is now 16 months and walking.  Oh, well.

I love to read about your improvements.  You have really, really come a long way!!!

Take care,

Trudi

Donna RA
    Participant

Wayne,

When my feet were really bad, I would soak them in a foot bath that has jets and heat, adding both epsom salts and hydrogen peroxide.  That seemed to work better than anything I could take, because nothing else seemed to ease that pain.  It did eventaully pass, but it was a bad time for me.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Donna RA and Lyme

WAYNE HARGREAVES
    Participant

HI  Donna,

Thanks  for  replying,  yes  i  do  soak  in  epsom  salts,  i  also  think  it  helps.
    I  noticed  you  take  Serrapeptase,  does  it  benefit,  i  used  to  take  few  years  ago,  but  was  having  bad  flare  ups  didnt  know  if  it  was  helping  and  its  not  cheap is  it,  but  that  was  before  i  had  been  found  to  have  lyme,  i  also  used  to  drink aloe  vera  juice was  told  that  would  be  good,  but  dont  know  what  to  think  now.

take  care  Wayne

Noel
    Participant

Hi Wayne,

?

I?ve just been through the exact same thing but would also get hit with a stabbing like cramp from the top of foot and the arch that would come and go in seconds..

I feel your agony because that?s just what it was for me. Nothing pain relief wise would touch it and it lasted almost 2

Donna RA
    Participant

Hi Wayne,

The Serrapeptase is helping me in ways that other enzymes did not.  My Doc tells me it will help to rid me of bio films, but I noted that my inflammation seems to be in better control since I started taking it.  I will tell you that another member from this board wrote to me about being cautious with it, as it has been known to cause muscle flares in some, perhaps related to an allergy to it.  Since you seemed to already have flare ups after use, I would be cautious about adding it back into the mix, but that is only my opinion.  Yes, it is costly, the supplement I use is enteric coated, so I feel at least the money spent is not going to waste, since stomach acid won't eat it all up.  Hope the epsom salt soaks are helping your feet.

Donna RA and Lyme

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Wayne,

Did the increase in foot pain occur subsequent to an increase in the dose of minocycline and/or rifampicin that you are taking?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

WAYNE HARGREAVES
    Participant

Hi  Phil,

Not  really,  because  i  have  since  cut  back  to  minocycline  every  other  day,  and  also  cut  back  to  300mg  Rifampicin,  but  seems  no  matter  what  i  do  it  soon  comes  back,  at  the  moment  i  have  one  clear  day  a  week  with  no  pain,  the  rest  of  the  time  some  pain  somewhere  in  my  foot, pain  in  other  joints  has  gone,  today  i  have  achilles  heel  pain,  ususally  it s  the  top  of  my  foot,  getr  red  and  feels  like  the  skin  will  rip  open.

thansk  Wayne

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘ getting lyme under control’ is closed to new replies.