Home Forums General Discussion Generic Minocin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’ve search through different discussions here about which generic brand of minocycline seemed to work best since it is impossible to get Minocin here in Canada and I know that some people don’t respond too well to generic brands.

So what are the best options? Are there some brands reputed not to work?

Thanks!
    Mike

DianaW13
    Participant

Hi Mike,

I have posted this question a couple of times and have not had much of a response. I live in Ottawa and was on Minocin brand for almost 1 year with great results (100mg daily). When I ran out of the name brand and switched to Apo-Minocycline I noticed a change in my symptoms within 1 week. I had to up the dosage to 100mg bid. It appears to be effective at this dose.

Hope this helps Mike,

Diana
    (seroneg RA)

laurawm
    Participant

I am in the US, but if you can get Watson or Teva brand in Canada these are generally considered some of the better generics. I take Watson. I’ve heard mixed reviews on Ranbaxy.

Hopefully some others can chime in with their experiences.

Best to you,
    Laura

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Mike – you may already have used the Search Box function at top of General Discussion first page. There has been lots of past discussion on this topic. Not everyone seems to respond in the same way and this could be due to different types of fillers affecting people differently as well as the amounts of filler in the various generics. When I typed in ‘generic mino’ (in order to get discussion on both Minocin and Minocycline) many pages of discussion came up. This may help if you havent already seen some of them (link below)

search.php?keywords=generic+mino

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

JoAnnC68
    Participant

Hi Mike,

I’ve been using Ranbaxy brand going on 4 months now, I’m doing great on it!

Jo Ann

Diagnosed with RA Jan 2012
    Oct 2015- RF has dropped to 19!!! Isn't that Great! ?! I'm feeling wonderful! I'm still taking Mino 2 x daily...if I don't forget!
    Oct 2014 RF has dropped to 23.1!! Taking Mino 100mg 2 x daily. No Pains & doing great!!
    Oct 2013-RF has dropped to 40.9!!! Feeling Wonderful!!
    7-17-2013 I'm going Great!! Still taking mino 100mg twice daily. No pains or Complaints!
    5-9-2013 RA Dr said I was doing good, I could stop taking prednisone since I dropped to 1/2 mg...so will

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Diana,
    @DianaW13 wrote:

I live in Ottawa and was on Minocin brand for almost 1 year with great results (100mg daily). When I ran out of the name brand and switched to Apo-Minocycline I noticed a change in my symptoms within 1 week. I had to up the dosage to 100mg bid. It appears to be effective at this dose.

That makes you the second person on this forum (that I know of) who has had a negative experience with Apo-Minocycline.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

kater
    Participant

Hi
    I am in Canada also and have been taking Novo (Teva) Minocycline since my name brand ran out in July. Doing amazingly well! Also taking Clarythromycin, Clindamycin and Tinidazole so it is a bit hard to know what is doing what. Tons of supplements too
    Happy New Year!
    cheers
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

Anonymous
    Participant

Wow, thanks guys for the replies. My wife and I will see her doctor next Monday for the begining of her AP. We’ll let you know how it goes 🙂

I’m glad you’re all ready to jump into our adventure and help us with your experience, it’s greatly appreciated!!

Davit
    Participant

I figure it is probably the fact that Minocin is in prills that open in the intestine rather than the stomach that made it more effective. I also took it on an empty stomach. I’m looking for another brand like that. Shake your pills and see if they rattle. If they do can you let me know. Powder in the generics doesn’t rattle.

Davit

richie
    Participant

look into solodyn –
    richie

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Mike;
    I am near Ottawa also and see Dr. A.Is she your doc.by any chance?APO mino replaced name brand and I took a terrible down slide within 6 months as the capsules were the same colour and the pharmacy never told be of the switch.A couple weeks on double dose of Teva and I was back to my old self.Now I make sure to check the writing on the capsule just in case the same thing happens again because the pharmacy does not carry Teva and has to order it especially for me.

Anonymous
    Participant

Hi everyone,

We had our appointment yesterday with my wife’s doctor for her AP. He prescribed 100mg minocycline once a day on MWF for a start.

We have access to 3 generic brands:
    1) Apo
    2) PMS
    3) Mylan

Since Apo seems to be less effective, does anyone around here know if PMS or Mylan a good alternatives?

Thanks again,

Mike

Maz
    Keymaster

@aoshi_xken wrote:

Since Apo seems to be less effective, does anyone around here know if PMS or Mylan a good alternatives?

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear your wife is just about to begin her road back!

There is a rheumatic patient, Harold, who has developed his own track record (and using patient testimonials) of others on specific brand names and generics who have found success. He has included a Canadian section. Stiefel, of course, is no longer an option for either brand or generics since last year, unfortunately, which were the preferred ones.

http://www.tmgp.com/minocin.htm

I haven’t got much to share on Canadian generic brands, so hopefully the Canadian contingent here will chime in for you on what they have found has worked.

Best wishes to you both as you begin this journey! 🙂

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Mike;
    Teva is available but your pharmacy has to order it.Mine keeps a supply in just for me.My pharmacy is Jean Coutu in case that helps.

richie
    Participant

Mylan is an excellent company—
    richie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.