Home Forums General Discussion Generic Mino Question: Help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Conniel7777
    Participant

Hi All,

I recently lost my job, and with it, my health insurance. needless to say, this is DEVASTATING.

That being said….

I have been taking the BRAND MINOCIN. a 3 month supply, ( taking 200 mg per day ) WITHOUT insurance, costs about $1,800.00, give or take. I cannot afford this.

I will have to switch to GENERIC Mino until I get another job w/ health insurance.

I have read that LEDERLE makes generic Mino that is identical ( or almost identical ) to the BRAND Minocin. I have heard you can get the Lederle Generic Mino at Walmart? ( by the way, I called Walmart and asked how much a 3 month supply of generic mino would be WITHOUT insurance: $159.80.. yes, thats for 3 MONTHS! I asked WHO makes the generic Mino they carry, and the person said she didnt know)

So, my questions are:

1) Does anyone here know if its true that Lederle makes a generic Mino that is identical ( or almost identical ) to the BRAND MINOCIN?

2) If the above IS true, how do I go about making sure that the generic mino I get actually comes from Lederle?

3) If the above is NOT true, does anyone have any other recommendations for me? ( and please keep in mind, when I had insurance, I could barely afford the $120.00 copay for the 3 months of BRAND MINOCIN.. affording the $159.80 for the generic is going to be rough… ?

Any input?

PS.. I DO have several leads on some good jobs.. as a matter of fact, I think I have one in the bag, so I think I will have health insurance again in about 3 to 4 months… keep your fingers crossed for me!!

BeatingRA
    Participant

Hi Connie,

I’m so sorry to hear that you lost your job. I’m not sure if lederle is still making the generic. I have heard that Teva and Watson are good generic names and I took Watson with good results before I could get the brand. If I were in this situation, I’d call all the pharmacys in my area and ask what generic brand they carry and how much it costs. Then, I’d go with the pharmacy that carries Teva or Watson at the lowest cost.

Good luck on the job search.
    Theresa

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I am having good results with Watson minocycline. CVS doesn’t carry it but will special order so i get it from them.

judy cash
    Participant

Connie,

I began having some problems that I attributed to the fact that my pharmacy changed my generic mino, to a different Co. I ask the pharmacist, and they said they get different generics unless you tell them one in particular that you want. So now I have tried 3 different ones in the last three months…..I was doing really well untill this happened, so it has to be connected, nothing else had changed, except the Co. they used…. The bad thing is that they cannot tell me which CO. they were using when I was doing well…..Well guess what ” I CHANGED DRUG STORES”, This really messed me up, my understanding is that different companies use different fillers, and dyes……I never kept the bottles, so I didn’t know either…… Does this make sense? I guess what I am trying to tell you is to keep track of what you take and how you feel, when using generics. The pharmacy I’m using now said they will work with me until we find on that agrees with me…

Sorry about you losing your job. Hope you get one soon…Best of luck.

Judy

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Connie – sorry to hear about the job and hope this new one does eventuate, you are due for a break after the last few months. Have you thought about trying the Canadian pharmacy http://www.buylowdrugs.com? Alot of people here use them for their brand Minocin – you just need to send them an rx. Reports are that they are extremely reliable and I believe cost is around$165 for a 3 month supply. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

JeffN
    Participant

I have had good experience with Watson. I had been on Ranbaxy and Watson depending on what the pharmacy had for the first few months. At the time I found the Watson to be easier on my stomach so I simply asked for the Watson. The were very accomodating and have been on Watson since. So far so good.

Valsmum
    Participant

The manufacturer on my generic minocycline is Teva and it works so well I can only handle 25 -50 mg due to my herx reaction. I go toWalgreens to get it filled. I am only 2 1/2 months into AP so that might be why I am herxing so much. Hope it all goes well!!

Maz
    Keymaster

@Conniel7777 wrote:

I have read that LEDERLE makes generic Mino that is identical ( or almost identical ) to the BRAND Minocin. I have heard you can get the Lederle Generic Mino at Walmart? ( by the way, I called Walmart and asked how much a 3 month supply of generic mino would be WITHOUT insurance: $159.80.. yes, thats for 3 MONTHS! I asked WHO makes the generic Mino they carry, and the person said she didnt know)

Hi Connie,

Unfortunately, in Sept of 2001, Lederle stopped making its generic which was a close match to their original fomulation, Minocin, now owned by Wyeth and distributed thru Triax in the US. The closest thing to Wyeth Minocin (sold thru Triax) is the Canadia Stiefel pelleted brand (Wyeth sold distribution rights to the brand in other countries, too). If ordering from Canada, thru an online pharmacy, it’s important to be sure to state you want the “pelleted” Stiefel brand Minocin only, as they also produce a powdered brand capsule in the same colors (orange/indigo). It’s about $165 for 100 caps in the sealed manufacturer’s bottle, which is the best quantity to order (as it’s sealed) for shipping in the mail. Also important to follow the faxed order with a phone call to the online pharmacy about an hour after sending to ensure the order was received. Takes 2 to 3 weeks for delivery, so need to order well in advance of running out.

Here is some info on the original Lederle generic:

http://www.tmgp.com/minocin.htm

High-Cost Brand Name Minocin in the USA
    Pelleted Minocin was developed by Lederle Labs, which became ESI Lederle, which was acquired by Wyeth-Ayerst Laboratories, which then changed its name to simply Wyeth. Minocin by Lederle, ESI Lederle and Wyeth were all the same thing.

Prior to September 2001, Lederle also sold its Minocin as a generic minocycline at a lower cost, which was $70.00 per hundred 100 mg capsules at Wal Mart. Regrettably, in September 2001, Lederle stopped selling its generic.

In February 2006, Wyeth sold or licensed its Minocin brand name in the USA to Triax Pharmaceuticals. Triax then raised the USA list price to $1,020.80 for one hundred 100 mg capsules, or $10.21 per 100 mg capsule. The Triax Minocin is still being manufactured by Lederle / Wyeth, so it’s the real thing.”

As mentioned above, Teva and Watson are the preferred generics here in the US….Ranbaxy (an pharmaceutical in India) got into a bit of trouble with the FDA a couple years ago for producing inferior generics that weren’t up to US regulation standards.

Connie, fingers and toes are crossed that the new job is in the bag for you…so sorry to hear you lost your current job. Hope you got the email re: docs?

Joe RA
    Participant

Hi: Conniel 7777, …..You can go to http://www.drugs.com/minocycline-images.html for a pill identification that may remind you of the ones that you have taken in the past. (Click on Imprint) It will show the actual pill with the identifier markings, discribe the Mfg. , the color, the MG.s dose and shape of the pill and more. The pharmacies some times will take what their suppliers send them so the stock will be rotated to stay freshly dated and safe. I have had Ranbaxy, global, watson in the last 6 years and all have worked for me. Hope this helps and good luck on the hunt for a job. Best to you,…….. Joe RA

MINOCINMAN
    Participant

After careful research Watson is a safe alternative. I spoke to the Pharmacist at Costco and Walmart and both advised that Watson is certified and meets FDA standards as a true generic formulation. The FDA requires the factory to be within 99% of Name brand to be given a certifcation, which watson and other generics of Minocin have. i forget the exact term that the pharmacist used, but it is a certification code that indicates that it meets FDA standards. I get Watson 60 100MG for $38.00 at Walmart.

Good luck.

@Conniel7777 wrote:

Hi All,

I recently lost my job, and with it, my health insurance. needless to say, this is DEVASTATING.

That being said….

I have been taking the BRAND MINOCIN. a 3 month supply, ( taking 200 mg per day ) WITHOUT insurance, costs about $1,800.00, give or take. I cannot afford this.

I will have to switch to GENERIC Mino until I get another job w/ health insurance.

So, my questions are:

1) Does anyone here know if its true that Lederle makes a generic Mino that is identical ( or almost identical ) to the BRAND MINOCIN?

2) If the above IS true, how do I go about making sure that the generic mino I get actually comes from Lederle?

3) If the above is NOT true, does anyone have any other recommendations for me? ( and please keep in mind, when I had insurance, I could barely afford the $120.00 copay for the 3 months of BRAND MINOCIN.. affording the $159.80 for the generic is going to be rough… ?

Any input?

PS.. I DO have several leads on some good jobs.. as a matter of fact, I think I have one in the bag, so I think I will have health insurance again in about 3 to 4 months… keep your fingers crossed for me!!

Kim
    Participant

Good luck with the job, Connie. Take care of yourself during this stressful interim. 😉

Take care….kim

Conniel7777
    Participant

To All Who Replied,

As usual, a HUGE thank you!

If it ends up that I am down to no other choice than to order the generic, I now know ( thanks to all of you ) which generic brands to ask for and which to avoid.

If I end up being able to afford to buy the actual BRAND from the canadian pharmacy Lynnie gave me the link to, ( THANKS for that info / link, Lynnie! ) I will make sure to demand ONLY the Steiffel (sp?) pelletized brand..( Thanks, Maz!! and yes, Maz, I DID get the list of North Carolina AP docs I recently requested from you.. Thank You!! )

And thanks to Kim and eeryone that replied with good wishes for me to get another job.. I am literally on the verge of being hired.. next week I have a couple of interviews that I am told are just “Formalities”, and that its a 99% done deal.. I hope so!!!

As usual,I have NO IDEA where I would be without this board………. I shudder at the thought!!

(((HUGS))) and a HUGE THANKS to each and every one of you who replied!!

louris
    Participant

Sounds like you got the information you need, but I decided to chip in per chance it helps. I’ve used both Watson and Teva with success. I currently get 60 100mg Watson brand generic mino from Costco for approx $35.00 (membership not required to use the pharmacy). They have a great price checker tool in the Pharmacy section of their website.

Sorry to hear about your job. Good luck with your current job search.

redrock
    Participant

You can pay into COBRA so that your insurance continues until you get a new job. You don’t want to go without insurance anyway, that is very risky.

Randy
    Participant

HI Connie,

You are getting great advice ref minocin. I too use the buylowdrugs from Canada at the $165 for 100.

Now ref your job loss. I can really relate, as I was terminated within 3 months after my management found out I had diffuse SD. As you know, it’s bad enough just having a very serious disease and being very sick, without the heartless employers making it worse. As it turned out, I filed a discrimination against a serious illness complaint with the state, and the state conducted an independent investigation and found that the company had discrimminated against me. The feds then jumped onboard also. Not long after, we settled out of court. For a couple of reasons the settlement wasn’t that great, but I stood up for what I thought was right and they wrote the check! So if you want any advice in this area I may be able to offer some.

Randy

“Blast the Bastards, and the Employer Bastards!”

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.