Home Forums General Discussion For RA: Sulfasalazine or Plaquenil?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    purplepanda
    Participant

I’m looking for an RA drug that I can take before I start AP that may help with the infectious cause of RA. I read that sulfasalazine is an old drug that was used to treat RA and that it has antibiotic properties. Yet. My rheumy said it is not antibacterial, that it is just derived from the sulfa class.

I also read that Plaquenil is used in Lyme treatment to bust cysts around bacteria. I was wondering if this could also work for infectious causes of RA. I’m not that knowledgeable about treatments & my head is swimming with info.

Does anyone, based on their knowledge or experience have a suggestion on which drug is safer (less serious side effects) or which drug might help fight infectious causes of RA more?

I’ve also had embedded ticks & live in a Lyme area.
    I’d appreciate any and all feedback.
    Thank you, all, so much.

11-20-15: Off Mobic. No NSAIDS.
    10-14-15: Working toward Minocycline 100mg BID. Able to "lock" my knees when standing now!
    9-14-15: 2nd Clindamycin IV series. Still on 5mg Prednisone & 7.5 mg Mobic per day. Swelling greatly reduced in knees.
    8-15-15: Started Minocycline 100mg BID MWF to present.
    5-25-15: Started generic Minocycline, 100mg MWF. Tried titrating to 100mg BID MWF over a month & went back down to 100mg MWF.
    5-18-15: 1st Clindamycin IV series. Dropped Naproxen, added Mobic.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.