Home Forums General Discussion flu shots

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    dotsdaughter2
    Participant

does anyone get the flu,pneumonia or shingles shot. I heard that sometimes when people with RA get the flu they feel better for weeks, maybe it kills some bacteria. Anyone have any answeres.
    By the way your all wonderful.

JoAnnC68
    Participant

I’m glad you ask that question…I’ve being wondering rather or not if I should get the flu shot this year since starting on antibiotic. I’ve gotten the flu shot in the past few years.
    I agree, everyone here has been wonderful here on RBF!
    Jo Ann

Diagnosed with RA Jan 2012
    Oct 2015- RF has dropped to 19!!! Isn't that Great! ?! I'm feeling wonderful! I'm still taking Mino 2 x daily...if I don't forget!
    Oct 2014 RF has dropped to 23.1!! Taking Mino 100mg 2 x daily. No Pains & doing great!!
    Oct 2013-RF has dropped to 40.9!!! Feeling Wonderful!!
    7-17-2013 I'm going Great!! Still taking mino 100mg twice daily. No pains or Complaints!
    5-9-2013 RA Dr said I was doing good, I could stop taking prednisone since I dropped to 1/2 mg...so will

Trudi
    Participant

@dotsdaughter2 wrote:

does anyone get the flu,pneumonia or shingles shot.

I don’t.

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Krys
    Participant

I don’t either and regret one single time in the past when I had it.
    Krys

Anonymous
    Participant

I get the shot almost every year. I’ve never had a problem with it. The flu virus in the shot is dead, so I don’t think it could help kill any other bacteria, but I don’t know for sure. In the two years I didn’t get (shortage), I got the flu, and I sure didn’t feel any better! I have spondylitis though, so not sure if that makes a difference.

Eileen
    Participant

I won’t. I received my one and only flu shot two years ago. What a mess after that. Never again. It stimulated my immune system so much that I couldn’t stop it — negatively.

Eileen

jaminhealth
    Participant

no shots in over 25 yrs…

Keep Oscillo on hand and Echnieaca always when I feel something might be coming on.

grapeseed extract has kept my immune system very healthy for the last 17 yrs….

Maz
    Keymaster

@jaminhealth wrote:

Keep Oscillo on hand and Echnieaca always when I feel something might be coming on.

Just thought it worth a mention that, although controversial, Echinacea has been studied by the Germans for its effects on the immune system and there is believed to be some evidence that this herb may have deleterious effects on patients with “autoimmune” conditions by causing overstimulation of tumor necrosis factor (TNF):

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2003/0101/p77.html

“Contraindications to the use of echinacea are controversial. The German Commission E monograph,10 a consensus statement of expert opinions, recommends that echinacea not be used in patients with autoimmune conditions or human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection, because of the risk that its immunostimulating effect could lead to exacerbation of autoimmune illness or increase in HIV viral load; however, this risk is theoretic and has not been adequately studied.”

This has been disputed by herbalists:

http://medherb.com/Materia_Medica/Echinacea_-_Contraindications.htm

Would suggest discussing this herb with one’s doctor, as each rheumatic disease is rather unique as well as individual response to various herbals. 😉

dotsdaughter2
    Participant

Iam so glad I asked, Iam NOT doing the flu shot. Thanks everyone for your valued information.
    The best to you all.

Valsmum
    Participant

Hi Dotsdaughter,
    My son had an adverse reaction to a vaccine, so I do not take flu shots either. Our body is constantly healing itself, new skin every couple weeks, new lungs every six months, we do not need flu shots, in my opinion. Take care!

richie
    Participant

Hi–Its a personal decision –I always take a flu shot –my wife is allergic to eggs so she doesnt get one —
    richie

cavalier
    Participant

if you wish to look at this specific company’s ingredient list for their flu shot – it’s in the middle of this page today & is titled what is in your flu shot or something like that ( am not looking at the open link right now)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/You-Have-The-Right-To-Remain-Healthy/306010542778577

It has thirmesol in it mercury & also formaldehyde or however it is spelled (been a long day & nite for me last nite from bad adverse reaction to lasix med. i was on so am 1/2 brain dead )

I hope the link will open for you .

best – Jill

richie
    Participant

Hi–That label is misleading –mercury is only present in batch doses –single doses that doctors use do not contain the mercury —-the ramifications of a person getting the flu especially with a compromised immune system is serious —lots of deaths every year from the flu !!!!
    richie

cavalier
    Participant

Hi Ritchie – the info on whether the Flu shot ACTUALLY works is mixed in offering protection. Sure people can die from the flu but some articles suggest that the flu shot may not offer protection still. As to the label I have no idea if it is misleading but since you dont argue over the fact that Formaldehyde is in there how safe is that? especially over a number of years & for a body who may not be optimal in dealing with Rheumatic diseases etc.

Best – Jill

jaminhealth
    Participant

Grape Seed Extract = Strong Immune System…. My 17 yrs on this antioxidant/antiviral/antibacterial is a huge testimony.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.