Home Forums General Discussion Flareup vs. Herx

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    krazykrow
    Participant

What measure do those who know a herx from a flare usually use to tell the difference?

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi KrazyCrow…do you pulse dose or do continuous daily dosing? I've done both and found it was much easier to discern the difference with pulsing.

In truth, it's quite difficult to make the distinction as a herx is an increase in already existing symptoms…and you may even experience some new things, as well. According to the RBF website, certain increases in some bloodmarkers are indicative of a herx, but it's not all that practical to run out to have blood tests every time we get some worsening! 😯 

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=studies.display&display_id=184#Anchor-The-51540

In general, I've found that herxes tend to be more short-lived than flares, which can go on for days/weeks. Herxes tend to be shorter in duration, which is your body's reaction to the toxins released by myco die-off – anywhere between a few hours to two or three days. Once the toxins are flushed through, though, you should find you perk up faster than with a flare. I've also noticed right after a herx is over that I've jumped ahead a bit in progress. Sometimes my herxes only last a half a day when I first get up in the morning and have a chance to rehydrate.

The reason it's easier to discern a herx with alternate day or MWF pulsing is because the blood serum levels are rising and falling within a 48 hour time frame whereas continuous, daily dosing tends to keep these levels fairly consistant. Some people herx within hours of taking their mino and some find they are worse on their day off. I've always seemed to feel worse on my mino days and get some blessed relief on my days off. Azithromycin has been a totally different kettle of fish…seemingly attacking something different, I can only tolerate one pill a week and, without fail, herx on day 4 or 5.

Some people believe that apart from when one initially starts mino that herxing rarely occurs on daily dosing. This may be true, but I also had my greatest improvement in blood markers while on daily dosing and had some of my worst herxes. Felt like I had battery acid flowing through my veins much of the time. This is why I reverted to pulsing, because it's kept the herxing more controlled and it's less freaky trying to figure out if I'm herxing or flaring. I'm still improving on pulsing, but progress has slowed down. It's been worth it, though, just to have some better days in between.

Everyone is soooo different, though, so sometimes it takes tweaking the dose with your doctor to find what works best for you. In all truth, all this said, it's far easier to discern a herx from a flare after the fact for ourselves! Not very helpful, I know, but when you're going through a herx or flare, they can feel equally as rough.

Peace, Maz

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Agree with Maz. And certainly recommend reading the info on this site about herxing. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

krazykrow
    Participant

Thank you for your response, as usual it was helpful. More informative than

you give yourself credit for. I pulse dose, and actually do every other day, not just

m-w-f . Which my Dr says More power to you if you can remember to do that…so I do.

I just got my rx for minocin…I have been takeing Vibramycin…….and told my

Dr. there's so much talk and results with Minocin, I wanted to try it. He says the

studies were done with minocin (pellet form)  so  we are going to give that a go.

I am thinking I feel worse on my days on, which very well may be pulse dose Herx.

Anyone have a rough time sleeping if they take thier abx not long before bed? I have

strange dreams and resltess sleep. So i started taking it much earlier, problems

solved.

Jon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ Flareup vs. Herx’ is closed to new replies.