Home Forums General Discussion fish oil.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    mkay
    Participant

I know almost every AP doctor wants patients on a fish oil supplement for inflammation.  My questions are what dosage of this do you take, does your doctor think it's important, and did you work up to this level or just started at this dose?  Last do YOU REALLY think fish oil helps with inflammation?  Share please!

Thanks so much, I love how much I can learn here!  🙂

mschmidt
    Participant

mkay,

I started out with 3000mg of pharmaceutical grade fish oil supplements from my doctor's office, and was on that for almost a year.  I now switched to Krill Oil, and I take 2000mg of that daily.  There are so many benefits to taking it, that I would take it whether I had inflammation or not.  As far as being able to notice whether it has made a big difference in that department, I'm afraid that I'm taking so many supplements at the same time that I honestly can't say which one is doing what.  I've noticed a huge reduction in inflammation overall since starting abx, as well as changing my diet, and eliminating foods that I'm sensitive to. (gluten, dairy, sugar)  I also maintain a very alkaline diet, and take a supplement that contains minerals that helps remove acid from the body.  Overall, I think it's been a work in progress, with a combination of diet, exercise, supplementation, and abx.  Unfortunately, I've never had inflammation markers in my blood to monitor whether any of this is helping or not.  I feel great so, that's enough of a marker for me.:D

Maria

swollen
    Participant

I take fish oil too.  I think they say its good to take for anyone not just RA patients.  The one I have is from vitacost and is called Omega-3 mood formula and the bottle says to take 2 per day and they are 1200mg each so 2400mg per day.  I take them when I remember but it is usually at night.  If it helps, I don't know- but the doctors advice to take them.  I hope more people say how much they are taking too or what was recommended.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

A couple of points. My AP Doc says that fish oil is quite hard on the liver so those with liver issues need to be careful about overdoing it. And, often the difference between high and low cost is that the lower priced ones often contain mercury. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

[user=30]lynnie_sydney[/user] wrote:

A couple of points. My AP Doc says that fish oil is quite hard on the liver so those with liver issues need to be careful about overdoing it. And, often the difference between high and low cost is that the lower priced ones often contain mercury. Lynnie

I have been told some people don”t want to take fish oil.  Something to do with vitamin D.  Anyone aware of this?

ajohnson
    Participant

Hello! I also take fish oil and I really think it does help with inflammation. I get up in the middle of the night, sometimes and will take a couple of fish oil instead of Advil, and fall right back to sleep. I take just a regular fish oil tablet(2x in the morning and 2x at night). 

Valsmum
    Participant

To Maria,

What is the supplement that removes acid from your diet? That sounds really interesting to me.

Thank you!!

Todd WI
    Participant

I took fish oil for a while, not sure if helped or not.  I OTC fish oil capsules for a while and they caused nasty fish burps.  I read somewhere (here?) that fish oil can go rancid and that could be the cause of the burps.

I also took Lovaza which is a pharmaceutical grade fish oil prescribed by my doctor. No nasty fish burps with the Lovaza, but I believe it's pretty expensive if insurance doesn't cover it.

Todd

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

[user=2713]Valsmum[/user] wrote:

To Maria,

What is the supplement that removes acid from your diet? That sounds really interesting to me.

Thank you!!

Valsmum – Maria is unable to access the Forum so may not see this post. You may need to ask again once the new software is up and running. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

imported_Eileen
    Participant

Hi,

Yesterday, my dr. just increased my dosage to 6,000 mg. per day.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I was told the people who don't take fish oil are on Marshall Protocol taking benicar.

Joe RA
    Participant

There is not much differance but Instead of fish oil I have been taking 1 teaspoon 2x a day of mint flavor Cod liver oil for the benefits of 970mg of omega 3 fatty acids in each tsp. and 4615IU of vitamin A and 462IU of vitamin D in each tsp. all in one dose. all my other needed vitamins, minerals, trace minerals and enzymes I get from my probiotic, (Raw cows Milk) ….. The Best for all of you…. Joe RA   

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘ fish oil.’ is closed to new replies.