Home Forums General Discussion eye twitching for the past 48 hrs since increasing my mino dose from 100mg to 150 mg!!

• This topic has 12 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Maz.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    scottishprincess
    Participant

Hi all,

Hope you're all seeing improvements and doing good..

Well I stupidly took an extra 50mg of mino on Monday night and since the my eye has been twitching like crazy!!! Has anyone else experienced this and will it ever stop?

TIA

Peace:roll-laugh:

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Lesley,

It could be related and just another one of those bizarre herx-like symptoms. Eye twitching is pretty benign in and of itself, but something to consider is that it may be unrelated to AP and may be a magnesium or B12 deficiency, which can also cause strange twitching.

Hope it stops for you soon! Are you still improving nicely?

Peace, Maz

scottishprincess
    Participant

Hi Maz,

Thanks for the advice, might go to the health food shop and get some 😀

Still improving nicely though.. espcially with the MSM!!I can't live without my beautiful magic powder!!! I take it everywhere!!!

How've you been 😀

A Friend
    Participant

[user=946]scottishprincess[/user] wrote:

…Hope you're all seeing improvements and doing good..

Well I stupidly took an extra 50mg of mino on Monday night and since the my eye has been twitching like crazy!!! Has anyone else experienced this and will it ever stop?

TIA …

TIA,

I learned early-on after I'd begun AP (finally read about this in Presciption for Nutritional Healing by Balch & Balch, the male author Balch is a urologist; the female a CCNutritionist) that the pain I'd begun having, after doing really well for most of the prior year on AP/Minocin on MWF 100 mg twice daily, was undoubtedly the result of increased acidity that was being stored because my mineral pool was used up and could not neutralize and excrete these acids.  Balch wrote that if one is taking tetracycline type drugs, this can increase the acidity and pain and cause a pseudo gout, as can meat in the diet.  This was an ahaa moment, as I'd talked to Dr. S in Iowa about this prior to finding this, and he had no answers, nor did a local physician.  Later when I told him I'd found the cause in myself and it had gone away, he was excited.   As soon as I got the meat out of my diet, (but I stayed on the Minocin as I was)  the pain in the joints where my toes connect to my foot just faded away in about 10 days (and I was about to have to get a parking permit). 

In your case:  If I knew now what I've learned since, and if I had the eye-twitching and had just increased my meds, this is what I'd believe was going on with me:

a) I'd believe my body was already very acidic (because I've learned people with chronic illnesses are said already to be too acidic, and such as lab measurements of magnesium are not accurate (the blood steals mag from bones, etc. to keep it in a certain range).  Magnesium is needed for about 300 functions, one of which controls functioning of muscles, etc.

b) I'd now know I needed to get test strips to see just where on the normal ranges of pH my ranges are.  If my measurements are very acidic, I'd start learning how to eat more alkaline foods and about taking magnesium and/or other supplements to compensate for what is needed. 

c) If my pH was in the range of 5.0-5.5 (mine was) I'd start adding a good liquid magnesium, such as MagChlor85 or other recommended magnesium from authorities such as Sherry Rogers, MD (Rogers has five medical degrees/designations), found information on ordering in her book, “Detoxify or Die”  If my physician knows anything about complementary medicine, I'd discuss my taking this with him.  [Fortunately, I did tell my local PCP about my taking it.  As my appt was over, he told me to be sure to keep on taking the new liquid Magnesium Chloride (the damage done to my own body/bones has been significant over a number of years, without my awareness and my thinking my “excellent” diet was about as good as it could get, which unfortunately was not excellent for me).]

The above is just what I'd do myself — but it has taken me years now to figure all of this out.  Hopefully, you have a knowledgeable physician or other health care professional to guide you.  If not, there are free health professionals at NEEDS.com and at the Pain and Stress Center in SA, Tx who can help you find answers.  The NEEDS company actually mailed me (free) additional research on some of my questions. 

The bottom line on the magnesium may be as simple as the fact that the only side effect of taking too much magnesium will be loose stool.  If that is the case, then backing down to a lower dose (I've read many places) is what I would then do.  And if my eye twitches stopped, I'd suspect I chose wisely. 

Good luck to you,

AF

scottishprincess
    Participant

WOW

Thank-you SO much for that informative and insightful reply I really appreciate it! I'll get onto my healthfood store at lunch time and let you know how I get on.. interestingly enough I did actually have red meat around the same time that my eye started twitching?? (i'd been off it for months previously but am v low in iron and was told I needed to eat it or I'd stay anameic etc)

THANKS

tbird2340
    Participant

scottishprincess, just wondering if you ever got your twitching under control.. My eye has been twitching like crazy lately and today my lip is twitching too..

I didn't increase my mino or anything and the only thing I've done differently med / supplement wise was add milk thistle to my regimen.. Not sure if that would have any affect or not..

Patti D
    Participant

Hey Scottish Princess,
    I too have a twitching eye. Just one eye has been twitching on & off for several months. I thought it was caused by interrupted sleep as I still wake up on & off with joint pain in the middle of the night or just plain hot or cold on & off.
    I hope others chime in here as I would love to get rid of this as well. If it just involves takes magnesium, no biggy.

Happy days!
    patti

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=287]Patti D[/user] wrote:

I too have a twitching eye. Just one eye has been twitching on & off for several months. I thought it was caused by interrupted sleep as I still wake up on & off with joint pain in the middle of the night or just plain hot or cold on & off.
    I hope others chime in here as I would love to get rid of this as well. If it just involves takes magnesium, no biggy.

Hiya Patti!! 😀

Sorry to hear about these unresolved symptoms. Seems like just when we hit a good run with Lyme, these other nuisances arise. My best guess here is that if it's not a magnesium deficiency then I might personally suspect unresolved Lyme coinfections. Chills and sweats are pretty par for the course with babesia. Have you been able to add anything to your mino to hit this possibility? Flagyl/Alinia, plaquenil, mepron, azithromycin are the standards (though Susan pointed out recently that mepron isn't a good mix with mino as one cancels the other out).

I'm going through horrendous night sweats at the moment and it's so challenging to know what is going on…poor detoxing? babesia? thyroid? perimenopause? So much overlap with all these things and probably a bit of all!!! Sweating profusely also tends to make us dehydated and a bit low on minerals.

Magnesium (taken well away from mino) might help, as you are thinking of trying, to see if this helps the eye twitching, but if not it might be an indea to look deeper into Lyme coinfections and see if you need to add something to your mix for this.

Patti, it's been really lovely seeing you around lately. I always smile when I see your smiling, warm face and your humor always brightens my day!!! :roll-laugh: Thanks for always being lovely you.

Peace, Maz

A Friend
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

[user=287]Patti D[/user] wrote:

Hiya Patti!! 😀

Sorry to hear about these unresolved symptoms. Seems like just when we hit a good run with Lyme, these other nuisances arise. My best guess here is that if it's not a magnesium deficiency then I might personally suspect unresolved Lyme coinfections. Chills and sweats are pretty par for the course with babesia. …..).

I'm going through horrendous night sweats at the moment and it's so challenging to know what is going on…poor detoxing? babesia? thyroid? perimenopause? ……..
    Peace, Maz

Hi Maz,

You mention above about going through horrendous night sweats and mention as one of the things possibly going on as “poor detoxing.”  Some of the most consistent night sweats/fevers I've ever had was when I began detoxing in the early 1990's using Dr. Crook's protocols.  As we detox — and if we are detoxing large amounts of acidic wastes/die-off — our body has to process this waste to remove it from the body, and it may be a bit over-powering, especially if we are lacking some of the mineral pool detoxifiers that have to be present to neutralize these wastes.  The body won't expell these toxins until they are first “neutralized” before excreting, so they will not damage our kidneys (which can't repair themselves). 

I always found, during that referred-to time of extreme detoxing, that after I had taken one ibuprofen when I'd wake up with fever and chills during the night, I would soon begin to sweat like crazy, then fall asleep, and would awaken the next morning feeling better than I could have possibly imagined.  I believed then, and believe now, that it was because of the large amount of toxins that that were being released because of the protocols (capryllic acid and NOW grapefruit seed extract were two of these) I was on.  I knew they were involved because of a relationship between dosage and result as to the amount of drainage from my sinuses down my throat during the day.

Another thing I've recently learned about night sweats — whether they are from detoxing such as above, or perhaps related to that mid-life time with hot flashes and nightsweats, according to a paper quoting Dr. Sherry Rogers put together on Magnesium Deficiency by Dr. P. Braun — these writings had refererences to both of these being related to magnesium deficiency.  Will post this, then return to add the link. 

A Print Preview of the following link, and then on Page 3 and top of Page 4 will find reference to hot flashes, as well as muscle contraction references: 

http://www.pbraunmd.org/magnesiu.htm

I have a family member who was having nightsweats bigtime, and I shared this article.  She ordered the MagChlor85 referred to in Dr. Rogers book, and began using it, and she said she got relief from these in a short time.)

AF

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=28]A Friend[/user] wrote:

And, by the way, I have a daughter who was having nightsweats bigtime, and I shared this article.  She ordered the MagChlor85 and began using it, and she got great relief from these in a short time from her hot flashes.)

AF, as always, thanks for your very thoughtful insights! 😀 Very kind of you to take the time. I currently take Trisalts, which includes magnesium…do you think this is sufficient or would something like your daughter takes be more beneficial?

I'm just about to enter into a phase of doing some mega-detoxing and have seriously been putting some thought into investing in a far red sauna. I was thinking about getting my hubby to build one, like Trudi's hubby did for her, but he's so wiped out with a new job, I don't have the heart.

Thanks again!

Peace, Maz

A Friend
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

[user=28]A Friend[/user] wrote:

And, by the way, I have a daughter who was having nightsweats bigtime, and I shared this article.  She ordered the MagChlor85 and began using it, and she got great relief from these in a short time from her hot flashes.)

AF, as always, thanks for your very thoughtful insights! 😀 Very kind of you to take the time. I currently take Trisalts, which includes magnesium…do you think this is sufficient or would something like your daughter takes be more beneficial?

I'm just about to enter into a phase of doing some mega-detoxing and have seriously been putting some thought into investing in a far red sauna. I was thinking about getting my hubby to build one, like Trudi's hubby did for her, but he's so wiped out with a new job, I don't have the heart.

Thanks again!

Peace, Maz

Maz,

I can't know about your mineral pool status, or even mine, but with our chronic illnesses, if I had to guess, I'd guess it just may not be enough, because so much of our magnesium gets used up so quickly, enough is probably not left.  I have purchased two different Tri-Salts — and the combination used in one differs in the minerals used in the other.  This surprised me when I compared them.  Which three are in yours?

Since late 2006 until a few months ago, I had been working really hard using such as Tri-Salts and a more alkaline diet by not eating as much meat protein (which I believe was making me even more acidic), but my pH seldom displayed a reading where I understood I could make much progress.  Much of the acidosis, I'm sure, had to do with metabolic function as well.  I was seriously considering the IV mag, which I read about the writings of the physicians I mentioned earlier in this post, plus an interesting lab article, though to get IVs would take effort, driving, and cost to do them.  The link that encouraged me that these might be beneficial, along with the Rogers and Braun writings:   http://www.thorne.com/media/myers_cocktail.pdf 

[/color]

[/color]

Hope I haven't confused the issue, Maz.

AF

Trudi
    Participant

Hi Maz–

Here is a company that makes the infrared unit–just housed in a prettier container :)!!

http://www.cedarbrooksauna.com/showroom/health-benefits/health-benefits-of-infrared-saunas.html

Some more information–

http://www.cedarbrooksauna.com/store/infrared-light-therapy-tent.html

Take care,

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Maz
    Keymaster

AF and Trudi, thanks both for the very good info. It's late here now and I gotta hit the sack, but will take some time going through all this carefully in the next day or so. You're both so kind to chime in with your help and insights! Thanks!!!! 😀

Peace, Maz

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘ eye twitching for the past 48 hrs since increasing my mino dose from 100mg to 150 mg!!’ is closed to new replies.