Home Forums General Discussion Ease Stomach Pain

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    sandratl
    Participant

Could anyone tell me what I can take with my minocycline to help ease my stomach discomfort?  Could I take protonix or a similar acid reducer?  I would prefer to take a natural acid reducer, but I don't know of any.  I've been taking like 1600mg of dgl and 1 tbsp of coconut oil  about 1/2 hour before I take the minocycline, but I recently called the pharmacy and he said that the dgl is ok but the coconut oil acts like a probiotic and thus shouldn't be taken together.  What are your thoughts?  I think the pharmacist might be right because I have been feeling a lot worse since starting this about 2 months  ago,  as if the coconut oil and minocycline are cancelling each other out or at minimum reducing the amount of minocycline being absorbed into my body.  Also,  I've been taking a digestive enzyme with my minocycline.  Is that ok to do?  Also, I think Richie said he takes an acid reducer, Neximum.  Also I did a google search and found that maybe zinc-carnosine compound could possible coat the stomach. Any thoughts on if I could take this with my minocycline without it interacting in some way and work on coating my stomach?   Thanks for any help.  I will really appreciate it.

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=568]sandratl[/user] wrote:

Could anyone tell me what I can take with my minocycline to help ease my stomach discomfort?  Could I take protonix or a similar acid reducer?  I would prefer to take a natural acid reducer, but I don't know of any. 

Hi Sandra,

I went to look back at your past posts, because I couldn't remember your diagnosis:

http://www.rbfbb.org/view_user.php?id=568&posts=1

So, if I'm getting this right, you've got Lupus and had been taking doxy for 4 years without probiotics, then switched to minocycline. Is that right?

Seems you've had this as an ongoing problem for some time and tried a number of acid blockers already. There weren't any replies to the posted suggestions, so just wondering if you ever checked out the yeast connection or if you've seen a gastroenterologist to see if you can figure out what is going on? Have you ever been tested for H Pylori or been diagnosed with ulcers, for instance? Have you had your gall bladder function checked? An inadequate pyloric sphincter? Hiatus hernia? Those sorts of things… Any of these things can cause stomach discomfort and/or nausea, but pain should always be thoroughly investigated. All minerals should also be kept well away from the tetracyclines, because they bind to the antibiotic and are rendered useless…this includes calcium, magnesium, iron, zinc, etc.

Normally, when nausea is experienced people will eat a little something with their antibiotic dose, but it's always best to keep all supplements well away from the antibiotic with at least a 2 hour window, including probiotics and digestive enzymes.

Are you sure you have a problem with too much stomach acid? Some people here have reported experiencing problems because they have too little stomach acid. This is worth investigating, too, as you mentioned in previous posts that you didn't have any success on the other acid reducing meds.

Did you ever try adding azithromycin to your protocol or substituting your minocycline for this? You mentioned in earlier posts that you were considering this. If so, did you have any success with it?

Sandra, if you would like to add a signature line to your posts, this will greatly help others to respond. Just go to the “My Account” button at the top of the page and click on the tab that says Profile. A set form will appear to add whatever details you would like to your user profile and to add information to your signature (which will appear on every post you make to save explaining your dx and meds each time), just scroll to the very bottom of the Profile page and add your details there.

Very sorry to hear you are still struggling with these stomach issues, but my best suggestion would be to get a full workup by a gastroenterologist to see what might be at issue here and to rule out possible offenders for your ongoing stomach issues, as well as to consider getting tested for candida and to investigate the stomach acid issue, as well.

Sorry not to be of much help here…these are just a few suggestions in light of your past posts on this subject. Hope you find your answers soon.

Peace, Maz

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘ Ease Stomach Pain’ is closed to new replies.