Home Forums General Discussion Dynancin, Solodyn, Ximino, Generic Minocycline vs Minocin

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    TrustingGod
    Participant

Hello,

With Minocin on backorder, I am trying to find a substitute. I keeping calling the manufacturer asking when will it be off backorder. They don’t have a date.

I am flaring on generic minocycline. Doxycycline has not worked for me either.

Has anyone tried the following and had success/failure:
    Dynancin
    Solodyn
    Ximino

I remember a while back that there was a thread mentioning that a dermatologist in NY can get pelletized minocycline. Can someone point me to that thread?

Thanks!

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi TG,

The dermatologist in nyc said he was able to have mino compounded in pelletized form. I’ll send you a PM with his info.

PhilC
    Participant

I am flaring on generic minocycline.

Which generic? Some are good, and some are not so good.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

TrustingGod
    Participant

Aurobindo is the manufacturer. Company from India. Distributed through Walgreens.

TrustingGod
    Participant

What is minocycline hydrochloride?

PhilC
    Participant

Aurobindo is the manufacturer.

Unfortunately, that one has a bad reputation. There are other people on this forum who did not do well on that generic.

Try to find one of these generics:

Torrent capsules

Par tablets
    Torrent tablets

Important: Pharmacies will generally not fill your prescription with minocycline tablets, nor will they even tell you about them, unless you ask.

What is minocycline hydrochloride?

That is the full name of the form of mino that is commonly used — the hydrochloride salt of minocycline. People usually just say or write “minocycline” rather than use the full name of the drug.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

bonnielou
    Keymaster

I am one of those who did not do well on Aurobindo — and that was the only brand I was able to get through my local Walgreens. So I have stopped using Walgreens altogether. I have been ordering generics from New Zealand and Canada from buylowdrugs.com. They are affordable (~ $1.00/tablet) and seem to work much better for me.

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

TrustingGod
    Participant

Thank you all for your responses. Do I have to order the medicine from an online pharmacy in order to get Torrent or Par? Or can I request it from a brick and mortar pharmacy? Maybe an independent pharmacy?

CMS12
    Participant

Last I checked Kroger pharmacy carries Torrent capsules. I was able to get Par tablets from Walgreens. Neither of these worked for me, although Torrent worked somewhat. I’m now trying Minocin MR from Britain as carried by buylowdrugs in Canada. Too early to tell if these are working. So far the only thing that worked for me was brand Minocin. I keep trying different generics hoping one will work.

Good luck, Cindy

PhilC
    Participant

Do I have to order the medicine from an online pharmacy in order to get Torrent or Par? Or can I request it from a brick and mortar pharmacy?

You should be able to get them from regular pharmacies like CVS, HealthSmart, Rite Aid, Walgreens, etc. However, the generics that are available from a particular pharmacy depend on which distributor they are using.

Here’s a tip:

There is a specific question you need to ask when talking with someone at a pharmacy about generic minocycline. After asking them which generic minocycline they normally stock and if they can get any others, ask them this question: “What about minocycline tablets?” Of course, you don’t need to ask that question if they’ve already told you. However, I have found that people working at pharmacies usually will not offer that information unless they are asked.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

TrustingGod
    Participant

Another question: CVS has Par. Why the tablets over the capsules?

TrustingGod
    Participant

Walmart has Torrent.

PhilC
    Participant

Another question: CVS has Par. Why the tablets over the capsules?

All of the generic capsules contain corn starch, and most also contain dyes. Like Minocin, the tablets do not contain corn starch, and neither Par nor Torrent tablets contain any dyes. That’s the reason I originally chose Par tablets — and also because I could cut them in half to adjust my dose (if necessary). Initially, Walgreens filled my prescription with Teva capsules (the original Teva), but those made me feel achy, and made my throat swell. I believed that the achiness was due to the corn starch (I seem to be sensitive to corn), but it might have just been a herx response; the throat swelling was probably an allergic reaction to one of the red dyes.

I now take Torrent capsules. Although they do contain corn starch, they don’t contain any dyes, and they are made in the U.S. They seem to work OK.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

TrustingGod
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation. I just picked up Torrent capsules from Walmart. Fingers crossed.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.