Home Forums General Discussion Dr. "S" in Iowa

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 250 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Hi again,

Can someone email me Dr. S name.  I'm up here is Tulsa (from houston) and someone may know him. 

superperroRA
    Participant
    JBJBJB
    Participant

Greetings from Ida Grove, Iowa!!!

After driving 10 hours (with stops), we finally arrived in Ida Grove. Thank you, Mary, for the directions and thank you, Kim, for hotel information. It was a very nice drive and easy to find. We passed by Delux Motel, as suggested place to stay. We are  glad we did not make reservations to stay there. It looks pretty bad.

So we are staying in Super 8 motel which is newly built. The condition inside is really comfortable. There is wireless internet connection. It's pretty cool. We had dinner at the SUBWAY.

My appointment is 1:00 PM tomorrow. Can't wait to see Dr. S. My rash on my hands are still bothering me. I hope it won't become a concern for tomorrow's IV.

I will keep you all posted! Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers!

:JB

Devie
    Participant

This is good to read.  I have a June appt with Dr S and they told me to stay in the Delux also.  Did you need reservations for the Super 8?

Glad I read that!

Devie

Good luck- let me know how it goes!

JBJBJB
    Participant

Yes, we made the reservation a month ago. It's a pretty busy place. I will stop by the Delux Motel tomorrow. I was told the doctor's office left some reading materials in that DM. I will try to hang out there from time to time.

Kim thank you for the recommendation of Super 8. It has refrigerator, coffee maker, wireless internet, and they even offered me the microwave.

:roll-laugh: If any husbands are coming, bring your golf clubs. There is a golf course across the street from Super 8.

There is a small super market. You can buy everything you need. The entire town is less than 2 miles long. The “Dollar General” store is bigger than Ida Grove Mall. I had to laugh really hard.

I took some pictures on my way to Ida Grove. I will take more pictures and put them on the web after I get back home.

Stay tuned, I will update my treatment daily. Thank you all for your encouragement and support. Without you, I won't be here!!!

:JB

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=266]JBJBJB[/user] wrote:

Greetings from Ida Grove, Iowa!!!

I will keep you all posted! Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers!

JB – you made it to Ida Grove! YAY! Looking forward to hearing all about your visit when you have a minute. All the best with the IVs and I will keep you very much in my heart and prayers during this week.

Peace, Maz

Time_of_my_Life
    Participant

Good Luck JB!  I was there in March for my IV's.  Dr. S and the hospital nurses are SO nice. Such a gem of a Dr. and hospital tucked away in a small midwest town!  While my husband and I were there we spent a lot of time walking around the town, went to all the shops on main street and the library.  The town has a nice walking path if you like walking.  Cute castle theme throughout the town.  We stayed at the Super 8 also.  The restaurant next store (Family Table) has pretty good food… also Bozwellz.

We took a day trip to Storm Lake and to Dennison on another.  They don't have a whole lot to offer but it gave us something to do.  Dennison had some cute shops.

Since my visit I've been feeling great!  I hope all goes well for you and that you will soon be on the road to healing!

Lori

Kim
    Participant

Yeah, you made it!  I don't remember if I mentioned this to you, but often people with SD have uncooperative veins for the IVs

mine are a nightmare, so here's what I do.  Drink lots of water before you go to plump them up.  Normally they just hang the bag and do a gravity feed, but that was way too hard on my veins so they used a pump on the slowest setting which worked.  Most people are in and out in 20 minutes, but with the pump it took me about an hour.  They also wrapped my arm in hot/moist towels to keep the vein flowing which helped.  If they have trouble finding a good vein to use, don't hesitate to ask for the head nurse that has the best luck with bad veins—every hospital has one.  Typically they leave the hep lock in for the whole series, but that didn't work for me either so they wound up using a small butterfly in different places.  Any which way you can get the Clindy in you, it will be worth it

you'll see!

Aside from the restaurants already mentioned, there is a Chinese restaurant downtown where you can actually get a vegetable other than corn, and the bowling alley has surprisingly good food—not at all healthy, but tasty.
    The drugstore downtown has an old-fashioned soda fountain where you can get more unhealthy tasty treats.

Keep us posted and good luck……kim

Goodwife
    Participant

JB,

Good luck to you on this trip – can't wait to hear all about it – and also to hear of all of the improvements you are going to experience.  Our thoughts and prayers are indeed with you!

Michele
    Participant

JB,

I'm glad you made it to Ida Grove and Dr. S. I was there in December and arrived in an ice storm! I bet April is a much better month in western IA!! In addition to the information of places to eat and things to do from above posts, the city recreation center is supposed to be really nice! Good place to play cards, games, run, swim, or get in a hot tub. I wasn't up and around much so didn't see it, but my husband checked it out and said it was nice. We stayed in a new section of the Delux which you might not be able to see from the road. It was a nice, new building with microwave, internet, refrigerator.

I hope all goes well for you! The hospital nurses are terrific! Keep an eye on the speed of the drip for the pump. If you feel it, you can ask to slow it down.

I'll be thinking of you as you go through this week and look forward to hearing some healing news from you!

Michele

Loria Chaddon
    Participant

My husband and I are going in June as well.  Thank you for mentioning the Super 8 and thank everyone for the info on the local sights and places to eat.  I know they were not mentioned for my specific benefit, but I will take advantage of the info anyway.  :roll-laugh:

This seems to answer a question I was wondering about, whether the patient stays in the hospital the entire time, or comes in for the IVs.

Good luck with the treatment.  (Crossing my fingers for all of us.)

JBJBJB
    Participant

Hi All,

Thanks for the good wishes. I just got back from Dr. S's office and did my first round of C-IV, 900 mg. I have to go back around 10:00 PM to get my second round. 

He also ordered some blood tests. One of them is mocroplasma test. Tomorrow I will also have to give an urine test.  

Dr. S is a super nice person. He is also a great listener. I did not forget to bring the warm greetings from this board to him. I told him, Mary P, Kim, Lori and all others said “Hi” to him. He smiled and told me to say “hi” to every one, too.

I also asked him if our friend, Terri, could be treated because her situation is pretty serious. Dr. S. told me that back in the early 80s, Dr. Brown referred a SD patient to him who was given only 6 months to live. Due to the distance, the patient could only travel to Iowa…. Dr. S. put her to the hospital and treated her with AP. The patient has been doing well. He did not promise anything, but he said this patient was very seriously ill. I was very glad to hear that.

I asked him if he is considering to retire any time soon. He said if his partner is going to retire, he will retire, too. But he said he will continue to do the AP to help patients for as long as he can. That's very encouraging.

Read on

Terri9967
    Participant

JB,

I am so glad you had your first AP treatment….  You have got be feeling ontop of the world right now knowing that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  I am so grateful that you took time out of your own appt to ask about me.  I am so very deeply touched that you would do that.  I will be emailing his office tonight.  I forgot how long of a wait you said you had for your appt. 

I have read alot of posts where people said that they had trouble with their veins when getting the iv treatment, was this the case for you? 

I have been checking all day awaiting your post to see how today went.  I will continue to watch and read as you go through this wonderful process and I keep you in my prayers all day. 

Hugssss

Terri

Maz
    Keymaster

JB….thanks for the terrific update on how it's all going for you and also for the info on Dr S's retirement plan. So good to hear the re-confirmation that he'll keep looking after his AP patients for as long as he can. What a great guy, eh? Just so glad you're in such good hands and hearing such positive news. You deserve this after all the hoops you've had to jump through.

Still holding that candle for you here in Ct!

Peace, Maz xo

JBJBJB
    Participant

We were told to go directly to ER place. However, we had to go to hospital registration place to register. Once we got all the paperwork finished, we went to a special IV room…. If you want to save time, type all the prescription drug you take, and also the medicine you are allergic to…. My husband is a chatterbox, he kept talking to the nurse, and she kept forgetting things. Once she set everything ready, she forgot to turn the IV on. …. so keep quiet until she finishes everything before talking to her. She is a super nice person. Her name is Donna.

It took about less than 30 minutes to get done. Like Kim suggested, I took a bottle of water with me. I kept drinking the water, so it wasn't too bad.

While I was there, there was a Scleroderma patient doing the IV. She is from a little town 30 miles from here, Lucky her. We did not get to talk much because she finished pretty fast by the time started.

For those of you who are planning on coming, you will be happy to stay at Super 8. I'd be depressed staying at Delux. Price wise, it may be $5 difference. The readings in Delux motel are those books required to read and also an article Dr. S wrote, which you could read it from Roadback foundation link. Nothing special. The front desk lady told me normally they have about 3 patients each week to stay in DM. This week, there isn't any.

By the way, Dr. S said the rash on my hands perhaps is “lupus like rash”.

I will keep every one posted. If you have any questions, please ask.

In health we cheer!

JB

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 250 total)

The topic ‘ Dr. "S" in Iowa’ is closed to new replies.