Home Forums General Discussion Dr D retiring from Breakspear

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    nord
    Participant

Spacehoppa mentions a letter in her youtube episode #37 similar to one I got today, mentioning that Dr D is discontinuing his practice at Breakspear Hospital in Hemel Hempstead. Instead a transfer to another doctor at Breakspear is suggested. I do not know yet who that doctor is (and thus not AP/Lyme/other chronic infection/rheumatology qualifications etc).

This may be of interest as Dr D is one of few available AP docs in Europe (as far as I understand). I hope Spacehoppa will add her insight, as there are a lot of things I don't understand, not being familiar with the UK health system, and being comparatively new here. 

Edited “Hemel Hempstead”, hope I got it right now.

spacehoppa
    Participant

Hi nord,

Yes, it is exactly as it sounds – that Dr D is retiring (apparently to go back to being an NHS doctor – which at his age seems an unusual decision).

I doubt that even if he does continue as an NHS doctor that he'd be able to help Lyme patients, as he'd be under too much scrutiny to provide meds in the same way he has done privately.

It's all very depressing to be honest. I have just made an appointment with the Director of the Breakspear, a Dr M, as they have said that they will continue my treatment. Here's hoping this works out okay.

But for us Lymies in Europe, this is a really sad turn of events.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Oh very sorry to hear that Ruth. Fingers crossed that your treatment will continue okay. And, you never know, Dr H. continues to be able to work within 'the system' and treat his patients with AP. Perhaps Dr D will find some way to do something similar. Keep us posted and, meantime, am sending you positive vibes for a good outcome with your appointment. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

motherbear
    Participant

I have never met Dr. D but it is very worrying he is going NHS.

I don't know if he is a GP or Consultant Ruth but many DR.'s still work privately even though they are working under the NHS. It may be fruitful to contact him and ask of any possibility now or in the future of him doing some private work.

I so hope this will be the case as things are even more desperate in Europe now.

Caroline.

nord
    Participant

It is very sad indeed. I'm very thankful for Dr D's help.

I acutally think it is not primarily as bad for non-UK European lyme patients as for rheumatics wanting AP and getting the obviously broad perspective (AP and LLMD).

For Lyme patients there are a lot of opportunities in continental Europe, and I've found at least one that is willing to work by correspondance with the patient's GP, and for those willing to travel, there is quite a bit of possibilities.

spacehoppa
    Participant

I just wanted to update this thread to say that I managed to get an appointment on Dr D's private Monday morning list in Newcastle. I hadn't realised initially he was continuing to do this, so am very relieved to still be able to have him as my doctor.

It's one heck of a long drive for me to see him in Newcastle, so this won't be a good option for most of his Breakspear patients I imagine, but is worth it in my own case.

Poor Dr D must have been travelling about 5 hours in each direction to get to the Breakspear from Newcastle each week, no wonder he wanted to work closer to home!

If anyone needs contact details for Monday morning Newcastle surgery, let me know.

katieb
    Participant

Hi Ruth,

Long time no talk ! I've been closely following all the stuff about Dr D on here and Eurolyme. I managed to get a late Sept appt with him at Breakspear, before the retirement news came out. Did you spot my post about my Band 31 IgM test coming back positive? I'd just like to see whether he will prescribe a different antibiotic for me now to try to get rid of the residual 5-10% problems.

That's so great that you have managed to get an appt with him in Newcastle, :roll-laugh: despite the rather long trip. That must be a big relief to you ! And it's great for me to know that I can probably continue to see him there if necessary.

Thanks so much for posting that Ruth. I haven't watched any of your videos recently, so hope very much that you are still doing well !

Love Katie 😀

Nicola Wilson
    Participant

Hello Ladies,

Could any of you private message me Dr D's contact details?  We're based in the North West so a trip to Dr K in his Newcastle practice is doable for my mum.

Also I'd be very grateful for any kind of indication on how much it costs so that I can work out a sensible budget/saving plan to afford my mum's treatment.

Thank you so much.

Nicola

spacehoppa
    Participant

Hi Nicola, I sent you a personal message with the info. Check the right hand top of your screen to find the new message.

ruth

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘ Dr D retiring from Breakspear’ is closed to new replies.