Home Forums General Discussion Dr. Beatrice Golomb on Industry Connections

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Pip
    Participant
    Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Pip-

This looks VERY interesting.  I will listen to it when I have time.

I recently saw a list of clinical trials on RA.  THere were 1022 trials, 700 funded by the Industry.  I will get the site and include it.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Dr. Beatrice Golomb is a Professor of Medicine at University of California at San Diego.  Her research is in medicine, health and military health defense.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Pip-

I finally had time to listen to this and it is very powerful.  Powerful, indeed.

Joe M
    Participant

I'd rather have 1022 than 322.  Hi Pip

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I just heard it again.

richie
    Participant

Hi—The only thing wrong with industry funding 700 studies is that its not 900 or 100 studies —if the drug companies dont fund studies who will —-how will new drugs get introduced –IMO for even drug that we hear negative news about there are hundreds of other new drugs that become extremely beneficial —-Pure research organizations  such as colleges etc do independent research and what happens when a drug is developed –usually before the approval stage or the clinical trial stage –the drug is licensed to a drug company for final approvals marketing etc —Personally I think the system is just fine with many major advances coming out daily

richie

richie
    Participant

Hi–make that a 1000 studies !!!
    r

Michele
    Participant

Very interesting video. Thanks for sharing. A friend of mine compared BigPharma vs. doctors and patients to the fox being assigned the duty to guard the chicken coop.

Michele

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Michele-

Good analogy!!!  My opinion.

Jan

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I still find this very powerful.  SHe is quite a doctor.

MINOCINMAN
    Participant

[user=16]richie[/user] wrote:

Hi–make that a 1000 studies !!!
    r

I agree wth Richie. Nothing wrong Rx Industry funding the studies. Just need to know that results may be possiblt slanted, but not necesarrily as their are checks and balances in system, including the conscience of the researchers.  

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I respectfully disagree with Richie.  I think industry funding the studies shows a conflict of interest. 

MINOCINMAN
    Participant

[user=2445]Jan Lucinda1[/user] wrote:

I respectfully disagree with Richie.  I think industry funding the studies shows a conflict of interest. 

Yes, there is a conflict of interest, which normally is disclosed, but either way the only way to fund the very expensive clinical studies is through the RX companies.

In a perfect world all studies would be funded by government or donations, but that will not happen, especially for rare disorders. Condiser it a necesary evil of sorts.

As Richie alluded, there are many very good life savings drugs that would have never came to market w/o RX Company funding, so like many things in life, we do not have a perfect system. Antibiotics is probably an example of a drug that was discovered by a RX company. Where would the world be w/o that one????????

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘ Dr. Beatrice Golomb on Industry Connections’ is closed to new replies.