Home Forums General Discussion Doxy & Sunburn

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    fastspinW
    Participant

Having been on Minocin for about 5 years I recently switched to Doxy. I work as a boat captain here in Maine and up till now we have had a very cloudy/rainy year. Yesterday and today, however, it was sunny and despite the fact that I covered my face and hands with sunscreen I got a terrible sunburn.

I know that both Minocin and Doxy are said to sensitize you to the sun but I never had anything like this problem when on Minocin. Has anybody had a similar experience after switching from Minocin to Doxy?

Thanks,
    Winston

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=313]fastspinW[/user] wrote:

I know that both Minocin and Doxy are said to sensitize you to the sun but I never had anything like this problem when on Minocin. Has anybody had a similar experience after switching from Minocin to Doxy?

Hi Winston,

Yes, I just switched from mino to doxy and find I am more sun-sensitive on doxy, too. I just tanned deeply on mino, but burn more on doxy. Being a sun-lover, this is a downer, but I just keep slathering on the sun lotion and gotta admit, I go out in it anyway. I sometimes get a bit of a an itchy sun rash on my shins, but I was presidposed to that before doxy, anyway. I know this must be tough on you being a seaman. Sun sensitivity or blue patches? I guess all you can do is wear long sleeves and hat and just cover up as much as possible being out in it so much….and use the highest SPF you can find. I think they do a 50 SPF and maybe even higher? 

Another gorgeous avatar pic, btw! Please keep em coming…these shots of yours would make an incredible calendar. 😀

Peace, Maz

fastspinW
    Participant

Dear Maz,

Thanks for sharing your own experiences with sun and Doxy. Misery does love company and it's always good to hear that one is not alone in their various struggles with RA.

That said, I should probably mention that my Mother was born in Wales, raised in England, and my grandparents were from Scotland. Worse yet, I have red hair and fair skin! I began experiencing the little red bumps on my arms 15 years ago and have had to wear long sleeve shirts ever since. The Mioncin and Doxy have just made things a bit worse than normal.

Yesterday despite the fact that I was wearing SPF 45 sun tan lotion the backs of both my hands got burned so badly that I had trouble sleeping last night. Clearly I will be wearing gloves today. Trouble is that my ears and face are tough to cover up, and worse yet, my lips are impossible. Looks like I am going to have to go back to the Minocin and risk the return of the terrible leg cramps at least for the duration of the summer as I spend 8-10 hours a day out in the sun on my boat 7 days a week.

Thanks, by the way, for the kind comments on the avatar. I forget whether I mentioned it before, but I am working on an extended photo essay on the Working Watercraft of Mount Desert Island and most of these shots are part of that. The one I posted today is of the 151' Schooner Margaret Todd. The previous shot was of the 38' lobsterboat Silver Spoon. More to come I hope…

All best,
    Winston

Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘ Doxy & Sunburn’ is closed to new replies.